Update on my veiled chameleon husbandry

Jxbzy

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Male Cham from fl chams about 3 months old site said 2 ive had him about 3 weeks
Handling - Daily
Feeding - Feeding 7-10 crickets a day, just bought mealworms to add variety to diet and learned those arent something i want to be feeding him so just crickets for now. pet store around here stink as far as carrying reptile feeders go. plan on breeding Dubia very soon
Supplements - I have repti calcium from zoo med didnt realize it had d3 when i got it fed him about a week every cricket with it. since i seen it had d3 i have stopped. as soon as i seen it did i went to petco and every calcium powder they had contained the d3 i wish i had an actual petstore local ugh (aware i need to get multivite and calcium without d3 and aware of the 2x a month feeding schedule)
Watering - i have drip system dripping onto bamboo, droplets collect often in different place the bamboo is so perfect for a drinking station in my situation i see him all the time getting drops with his tounge and closing his mouth around leaves to get water, cham has never had problem eating or drinking in front of observers since i got him.
Fecal Description - never tested him but from what ive seen on the poop forum everything is ok

Cage Info:
Cage Type -screen glass combo 3 sides glass front and top screen. 30inx24x14
Lighting - zoo med 100 wat basking bulb, started with 75 wasnt getting temps right, some repti brand uvb bulb believe it was reptisun uvb 5.0 just from looking at the boxes on g images
Temperature - cage floor ~70 degrees basking is high 80s mid cage is about 75-77, Overnight temps around 65, all temps read on electronic thermom/humidity reader.
Humidity levels range from 45% after not getting misted for a while to 60% when i mist when i get home from work, normally working 8-5 plan on getting a fogger(fogger>mister because i think it looks awesome) when i remove the substrate when i do his first cleaning, started with the coco layered substrate because it looks cool imo after realizing inefficiency will be putting different rocks on top of paper towel when i do first complete cage clean out.
Plants - I have a bamboo and another plant i forget the name of. i checked to make sure it was safe ill post a pic of my setup in reply i know someone will recognize it, if you do plz share
Placement - I started my cage off in a high traffic area and after learning more moved him into my room rather than in the den ontop of my dresser.?top of cage is about 4 1/2 feet from floor sitting on the dresser.
Location - located in michigan
So far everything is going great dewie is so chill and i feel like im doing a good job. Only real concern i have is that he still stays a darker color sometimes in his cage rather than being nice and green, everytime im holding him out of his cage hes nice and green. sometimes hes green in his cage but most of the time hes staying on the darker side of his shades, i upded the bulb wattage from 75 to 100 since then ive noticed he will be a nice green color sometimes but not all the time as i see others chams are. thats why i think something in my setup isnt right due to him being darker rather than him being greener. Thanks for all the help love the forums cham fam. share any suggestions/ thoughts pls

Pic of entire setup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 183
Perfect example of the coloring he stays most of the time, like I said when I'm handling him and occasionally in the cage all green and nice but majority of time he's like this basking temp is mid high 80s from what I have researched that should be hot enough

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 131
I think you'll need more leaves/plants so he can hide a little and make him feel more secure.
You'll need to get rid of the substrate, he may eat some, on purpose or accidentally. Which could cause an impaction or choking hazard.
Eventually you'll also need a bigger enclosure, taller than wide.
You could try online for more variety in feeders.
He's cute. Kath.

I second the notion of getting rid of the substrate. Dirt = bad for chameleons if they eat it, and it has an overwhelming ability to cause things such as mold, bacteria, etc, if water and rotting bugs gets into it.

Also I would try and (when he gets older) buy a taller cage, rather than wide. The minimum size *screen cage* for adults is 24x24x48 inches.

Back
Top Bottom