Under weight??

Alin

Is my veiled Cham under weight? He just seems kinda skinny. Should you be able to see his ribs? It's kinda hard to put a picture on here. Because he's sleeping right now. And because sometimes he puffs up and looks fat. Sometimes he looks healthy. And 60 percent of the time. I can see his ribs and he seems just unhealthy to me personally. Also. I haven't really seen him eating that much. I've been cup feeding him but recently moved to outing one or two in the cup and the rest just tossing on his plants and stuff. I've seen him eat maybe a few. But when I put him to bed at night I see crickets literally 3 inches from his face just chilling on the cage wall??? Right for him to eat?!? Is he just not hungry?? But how? Because at the same time he seems skinny!!

The best way to judge a cham's body condition is to look at the base of the tail. Imagine the tail in cross section. If the cross section is completely round from top to bottom, he's too fat. It should be oval, not round. If you can clearly see all the tendons in the tail he may be thin. Don't use ribs as a guide. They flex quite a bit as the cham moves around. As they flex to allow the cham to flatten its body for basking and to display, their appearance at any one moment can be deceiving. Also, his casque should look full, not sunken. If he's a fast growing juvenile he may look lean, but again that's because he's in his gawky "teenage" period.

Back
Top Bottom