Trioceros johnstoni bwindi

Jurgen, many thanks for the information to our lil group here.

Since you and Paul are both involved in this import, have these specific animals been, or will they be, treated for parasites prior to arrival, or should we plan on taking care of this individually?

Thanks,

Bobby

We expect 280 animals in total,we don't have the time to cure them all.
I STRONGLY recommend to treat them for parasites they almost always have them!

Yeah I used StickyTounge brand back in the day for Veild breeding, I was very pleased with it. Gonna order some ASAP...

When you say room temps for incubation, does that include the low night time temp? Guessing humidity/moister is about the same as most Cham eggs? (Do they require a mix of high low temps) Daytime/Nighttime

So 65-70F for incubation..... What about a flux of 70-75F, or do they need that mid 60F mark?

18c at night,21c at day time

That is up to us to treat for parasites.

Jurgen,
What is the average gestation for females?

Average clutch size?

Cage size you use?

Lighting when indoors?

Does any husbandry vary between the localities?

Gestation is between 3 and 4 months
Young females lay about 8 eggs adults up to 20
the picture above from the cage is a perfect Terra for them!(put lots of plants in them)
I use Solar raptor 35w for uv and heat
No difference in care between subspecies
;)

TJJohnstoni

OK,OK,OK...... :D I am also getting a pair of the TJJohnstoni (bwindy) and Reptoman and I have been planing our purchase of this fantastic species for some time now!!!! I hope to be fortunate to breed them and would like to get a list together of everyone getting this locale. It is my hope that we can be fortunate enough to breed them and then possibly work out baby swaps to inhance our bloodlines!!!! I went out today and purchased a 25000 btu ac unit that will ensure I can keep temps down in the upper 50's at any time no matter what the outside temps are. The ac unit I purchased is overkill for the room size but I was not going to take any chances and it can cool my Cham room/garage to the upper 50's. I am also very excited as the rest of you who are getting this fantastic and rare species!!! The wait is going to be painful but worth every minute!!!! :) So here we go......:) BTW Showjet U R A enabler and have contributed to our addiction ;)

Last edited:
Mind sharing a link to the AC unit you got? 25K BTU is a beast. Is it portable? Run off of 220V? I love me some overkill!!

I agree with compiling information from each of us as to how they are being kept, fed, maintained, etc....

And yes, Snowjet is like a crack dealer.......

OK,OK,OK...... :D I am also getting a pair of the TJJohnstoni (bwindy) and Reptoman and I have been planing our purchase of this fantastic species for some time now!!!! I hope to be fortunate to breed them and would like to get a list together of everyone getting this locale. It is my hope that we can be fortunate enough to breed them and then possibly work out baby swaps to inhance our bloodlines!!!! I went out today and purchased a 25000 btu ac unit that will ensure I can keep temps down in the upper 50's at any time no matter what the outside temps are. The ac unit I purchased is overkill for the room size but I was not going to take any chances and it can cool my Cham room/garage to the upper 50's. I am also very excited as the rest of you who are getting this fantastic and rare species!!! The wait is going to be painful but worth every minute!!!! :) So here we go......:) BTW Snowjet U R A enabler and have contributed to our addiction ;)

Mind sharing a link to the AC unit you got? 25K BTU is a beast. Is it portable? Run off of 220V? I love me some overkill!!

I agree with compiling information from each of us as to how they are being kept, fed, maintained, etc....

And yes, Snowjet is like a crack dealer.......

Found a good deal at the local Lowes and just got it!!! When I get a wild hair up my.......well u know :D I just do it!!!!!! It's a 220 volt more cost efficient then a 110 volt and I already had the wiring for it from when I was breeding Herps in my garage before. Dam I going to need a jacket to work in here at night!!! Within 5 minutes its cold in here now... :D

To funny!!!

Your monster A/C unit, so.................. Will you be wearing artic gear when feeding your Chams?!? lol

LOL I corrected my mistake. However snowjet might be more accurate then showjet due to the temps I now have to keep my Cham room at night LOL :D

I'm still going with the portable unit(jelious SMCNARY), probably around 14,000 BTU. I'm cheating though, my air handler is in my garage, so I am cutting into the duct board and installing a baffled vent. Gonna let the house unit do the brunt of the work and the portable will feed of the cooled air. Hoping that works atleast... If not, guess I will buy a second portable.

SMCNARY has the cool toy:p

I'm still going with the portable unit(jelious SMCNARY), probably around 14,000 BTU. I'm cheating though, my air handler is in my garage, so I am cutting into the duct board and installing a baffled vent. Gonna let the house unit do the brunt of the work and the portable will feed of the cooled air. Hoping that works atleast... If not, guess I will buy a second portable.

SMCNARY has the cool toy:p

Well I used to work in my Cham room in just a pair of shorts as it was comfortable buy NOW thanks to Paul (new name SNOWJET) I have sweats on and it's still a bit cool... :( Oh the things we do for our beloved chams ;)

Well, I just found a unit....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896741567

I also went out to my reptile shop and found that I had the open breaker slots to handle a 220v run, so, thanks SMCNARY!!!

Any thoughts how you will handle different day and nights since there is only a single stage thermostat?

On a side note, I am in Memphis once a month on business, we will have to meet up!!

I will just set temps manually for now,even if i keep temp set at 60 my basking lights will keep proper day time temps so it will work. i have a friend in the hvac business who is looking into a automated timer to change from day to night temps but we will see if that works out. If you come to Memphis and don't come by and see me I will be HURT :D no really u should look me up!!! Pm me if u want my cell # and we should get together!!!! :cool:

I use Solar raptor 35w for uv and heat

If you want a similar light to raptor, now you guys have an easy option -> http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/sunray_bulb.php

35w exo lamp has the same design as Raptor 35w FLOOD (maybe made in same factory..), so i guess they are almost the same..
Arcadia halides come out soon also in 35w and 50w versions, so you can use those lamps in exo unit also!

When using these, you must have UV meter, index or UVB, preferably both !

If you want a similar light to raptor, now you guys have an easy option -> http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/sunray_bulb.php

35w exo lamp has the same design as Raptor 35w FLOOD (maybe made in same factory..), so i guess they are almost the same..
Arcadia halides come out soon also in 35w and 50w versions, so you can use those lamps in exo unit also!

When using these, you must have UV meter, index or UVB, preferably both !

Thank you Julie, I was going to ask about this. That being said, I cannot find this bulb sold anywhere with online vendors? Anyone stateside aware of where to buy it?

Sunray just came out about a month ago.. so i don't think they sell the ballast and bulb separately yet.

Do you have to buy the fixture also, cause I haven't seen the bulbs by themselves?

What should the basking spot be?

The goal should be to provide a proper temperature gradient. So I would recommend setting the hottest point to about 85f, then check the UV and index levels and go from there.

I never technically use a basking "spot". IMO its better to offer many places to sit at different temps they prefer and adjust as needed

Back
Top Bottom