Trioceros johnstoni bwindi

I plan to build a wall to create a separate room with an ac window unit and humidifier. Plenty of live plants should help as well. Should be a fun project. I'm really looking forward to discussing techniques and sharing ideas around this species.

After a few words with a very experienced keeper, privacy, and heat stress could be a very important part to keeping these guys.

Females were especially hard to keep due to shyness... They would often find them hiding in the rocks and dirt.

Foliage, foliage, foliage, and be sure to keep them cool.

I am also going with a portable A/C unit and humidifier. Also lots of live plants inside the cages and adding live plants(low light level ones) around the cages. The plants in the room already thrive so the surrounding light is good enough.(For the outside cage plants)

I plan to build a wall to create a separate room with an ac window unit and humidifier. Plenty of live plants should help as well. Should be a fun project. I'm really looking forward to discussing techniques and sharing ideas around this species.

Agreed on the humidifier in addition to the AC unit. Here is a unit that I picked up.

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/es...?revitemid=2123&full=Y&page=1#customerreviews

Totally agree about sharing some information. I am sure we can start up a new thread once we all receive where we can each share specifics of set ups, etc...

I am also going with a portable A/C unit and humidifier. Also lots of live plants inside the cages and adding live plants(low light level ones) around the cages. The plants in the room already thrive so the surrounding light is good enough.(For the outside cage plants)

Great idea about the extra plants around the cages.

I posted a build thread in the enclosures forum concerning some cages I am building for them, but I will share here as well.

5'x30"x24". I picked up a number of these Umbrella plants to start and may add a ficus in here also along with the necessary branches and walkways.

Bobby

I feel so dumb.... I have been so busy with building new cages that roll out, that I never thought about hieght:confused: I acually shortend cages so they would roll under the garage door...Cages are 2x2x3.5

After seeing your pics, adding taller plants and small trees might be better. Lots of room and extra foilage, they can bury themselves deep if they wish!!!

Think I'm gonna redirect my attention at a differant set-up:D

Thank you for the inspiration saldarya!:D:D:D

Looked up your other post, is the staining and poly coating for cosmetics?

You are welcome.

I would say that the Stain is for cosmetics, but the poly is to seal and protect the wood long term from the water and humidity. I picked a Poly that will protect from UV due to our lighting needs. At least 2 coats.

I am also very OCD about how the Cham room looks and such, so there is always that.....:rolleyes:

A way to adjust day/night temps

Doing some research here and one of the struggle that many of us in the southern states will face is not just controlling temps in general, but how do we get the night time drop....

Sp check out this controller. It will allow for 2 different set points of temp (Day and Night) and as is it will be important for our needs, can handle the amperage draws of a decent size AC unit.

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/cap-tmpdne-adjustable-heatingcooling-thermostat-p-360.html

Bobby

After a few words with a very experienced keeper, privacy, and heat stress could be a very important part to keeping these guys.

Females were especially hard to keep due to shyness... They would often find them hiding in the rocks and dirt.

Foliage, foliage, foliage, and be sure to keep them cool.

I had a female for a few years and she was NOT shy AT ALL. Just like a lot of people keep super "friendly" veileds, while many keep veileds that want to kill you, I have also had some very shy hoehnelli and I have had alot that are not shy in the least bit. I think it depends on the animal itself. They also dont need to be kept "cool", but they definitely cant take it in to the 90s for an extended period of time. I had my trio outside for months at a time when temps were in the mid 80s, sometimes even into the high 80s without a problem at all, as long as they have plenty of shaded places and basking spots I think they will do fine.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I just read this thread and their are many questions about keeping johnstons and xenorhina.
First i wanna say its better that people ask about there care than doing wrong things so please if you have questions always ask its for the benefit of the animals;)
I kept and bred johnstoni's for several years and also imported several hundreds of animals over the years so i will give you some important info for keeping these.
Johnstonii/xenorhina are living in the mountains of Uganda/Rwanda and Burundi this means cool temperatures a drop at night and high humidity
WC and farmed animals need some extra care for a good acclimatisation ,cb are less sensitive to stress and can handle some higher temperatures.
If animals come in put them in a screen cage with LOTS of plants specially the first weeks they can be shy specially xenorhina but it deepens from individual to individual.
Ideal temperatures for day are between 18 and 24 c at night they like a drop to 15 a 10 c.
Give the animals time do adapt to their new home (terrarium)they drink much i give them two times a misting for 15 minutes they live in a very humid environment if its not raining they got a humidity of 80 pro cent.
They mostly eat most of the insects we offer the love worms,flies and crickets.
One time a week dust the crickets with a good mineral mix(no synthetic vitamins they get edema from it within a few days)gravid females need every day mineral supplements.
The love the sun!!! the collors outside are magnificent so if you got the chance keep them outside in your garden BUT not in the burning sun or if its getting warmer than 25 a 26 c.
I put my terrariums so that they catch sun in the morning hours in the afternoon they have shade .
Also important is that you check them for parasites they mostly have them in the wild they live happy with it but in captivity its better to give a cure with panacure,one drop in the beak for two days and after 10 days again and gone are the parasites:)
If you have gravid females you need to give them extra care they have more stress and also keep an eye on them if they lay eggs so they don't go egg bound.
Incubation is extreme short(3months) and babys are born very big almost mellery size.
Raising baby's is not very difficult ,i prefer to separate them.
So these are the most important things to keep and breed johnstons and to give them a happy live:)
If you have more questions please ask them;)

LOL- Vields that wanna kill you!

-Mineral Supliment recomendation?
-Calcium recomendation?
-Egg incubation and techniques?

I wanna listen to everything kameleons jvo and showjet95 has to say!!!

LOL- Vields that wanna kill you!

-Mineral Supliment recomendation?
-Calcium recomendation?
-Egg incubation and techniques?

I wanna listen to everything kameleons jvo and showjet95 has to say!!!

I give them minerall indoor from sticky tongue farms in my opinion a very good brand.
Incubation is by roomtemperature(18 to 21c)in moist vermiculite

I have an extra large exoterra to keep in the humidity and cooler temps. My plans are to rip out the exoterra hood screw in bulbs and replace them with LEDs & liner florescent. I'm also looking to add a diy thermoelectric air conditioner in the exoterra hood. I'll use the exoterra temp and humidity controller to turn on and off the cooler and aquazamp mister.

Solid plans?

Thank you for this important information.

Can't wait to see these guys.

Hi everyone,
I just read this thread and their are many questions about keeping johnstons and xenorhina.
First i wanna say its better that people ask about there care than doing wrong things so please if you have questions always ask its for the benefit of the animals;)
I kept and bred johnstoni's for several years and also imported several hundreds of animals over the years so i will give you some important info for keeping these.
Johnstonii/xenorhina are living in the mountains of Uganda/Rwanda and Burundi this means cool temperatures a drop at night and high humidity
WC and farmed animals need some extra care for a good acclimatisation ,cb are less sensitive to stress and can handle some higher temperatures.
If animals come in put them in a screen cage with LOTS of plants specially the first weeks they can be shy specially xenorhina but it deepens from individual to individual.
Ideal temperatures for day are between 18 and 24 c at night they like a drop to 15 a 10 c.
Give the animals time do adapt to their new home (terrarium)they drink much i give them two times a misting for 15 minutes they live in a very humid environment if its not raining they got a humidity of 80 pro cent.
They mostly eat most of the insects we offer the love worms,flies and crickets.
One time a week dust the crickets with a good mineral mix(no synthetic vitamins they get edema from it within a few days)gravid females need every day mineral supplements.
The love the sun!!! the collors outside are magnificent so if you got the chance keep them outside in your garden BUT not in the burning sun or if its getting warmer than 25 a 26 c.
I put my terrariums so that they catch sun in the morning hours in the afternoon they have shade .
Also important is that you check them for parasites they mostly have them in the wild they live happy with it but in captivity its better to give a cure with panacure,one drop in the beak for two days and after 10 days again and gone are the parasites:)
If you have gravid females you need to give them extra care they have more stress and also keep an eye on them if they lay eggs so they don't go egg bound.
Incubation is extreme short(3months) and babys are born very big almost mellery size.
Raising baby's is not very difficult ,i prefer to separate them.
So these are the most important things to keep and breed johnstons and to give them a happy live:)
If you have more questions please ask them;)

Yeah I used StickyTounge brand back in the day for Veild breeding, I was very pleased with it. Gonna order some ASAP...

When you say room temps for incubation, does that include the low night time temp? Guessing humidity/moister is about the same as most Cham eggs? (Do they require a mix of high low temps) Daytime/Nighttime

So 65-70F for incubation..... What about a flux of 70-75F, or do they need that mid 60F mark?

I give them minerall indoor from sticky tongue farms in my opinion a very good brand.
Incubation is by roomtemperature(18 to 21c)in moist vermiculite

Did they breed? Where they WC or CB?

I had a female for a few years and she was NOT shy AT ALL. Just like a lot of people keep super "friendly" veileds, while many keep veileds that want to kill you, I have also had some very shy hoehnelli and I have had alot that are not shy in the least bit. I think it depends on the animal itself. They also dont need to be kept "cool", but they definitely cant take it in to the 90s for an extended period of time. I had my trio outside for months at a time when temps were in the mid 80s, sometimes even into the high 80s without a problem at all, as long as they have plenty of shaded places and basking spots I think they will do fine.

Jurgen, many thanks for the information to our lil group here.

Since you and Paul are both involved in this import, have these specific animals been, or will they be, treated for parasites prior to arrival, or should we plan on taking care of this individually?

Thanks,

Bobby

Jurgen, many thanks for the information to our lil group here.

Since you and Paul are both involved in this import, have these specific animals been, or will they be, treated for parasites prior to arrival, or should we plan on taking care of this individually?

Thanks,

Bobby

That is up to us to treat for parasites.

Jurgen,
What is the average gestation for females?

Average clutch size?

Cage size you use?

Lighting when indoors?

Does any husbandry vary between the localities?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom