temperatures

mczoo

Avid Member
I recently aquired a veiled chameleon 4 month male ( i know i should have started with one not progressed to one) Currently he is in the same room as my jacksons and montium. ambient temp 70-74. night drops to 66-68. I am keeping a heater on his side of the room to increase the ambient to 78-80 and give him a basking 90-95 with a light. I was wondering how long per day does he need the 80 degrees. should it be for the whole photo period or just 8 hours or what?

Thanks

Sean

Thats the idea i got. i believe this was because he was a baby that he needed to be kept warmer. Here in cleveland the ambient temps outside have been in the low 70's so i do not know how he did this. he is a long term local breeder of veileds and panthers.

perhaps i could just use a bigger bulb to create a larger gradient from 72-90?

Sean

Sean,

What you have going on is fine.
I keep some veileds at work and it dips down to 68 every night.
70-74 degree ambient temps is also very nice for them.
It gives them a chance to get away from the heat.
When they do need to warm up the spend more time under the UVB bulb aswell, which ,to me, is comforting.
They do a lot of early morning basking.
Sometimes even as late as 11 o'clock.
Just because they are veileds that doesnt mean you to bake them.:)
The heater sounds like electricity that doesnt need to be wasted.

I don't think I understand..

So you got him from a local breeder & the breeder keeps the ambient temps at around 78-80F?

What's the size of the enclosure he's in?

Thanks Justin

upon thought i think i was confused (end of a long day):confused:. i am going to call the breeder tomorrow. i have his number. i will leave the heater off. my ambient could only be 76 because that is what i set the heater at for 6 hours :rolleyes:.

At 4 months old is 90 degrees a good basking temp? or should it be lower?

Sean

I think 90F is good.

Wow it's colder over where you are. My temps in the living room say 86F.. No wonder I'm sweating :eek:

Thanks Justin

upon thought i think i was confused (end of a long day):confused:. i am going to call the breeder tomorrow. i have his number. i will leave the heater off. my ambient could only be 76 because that is what i set the heater at for 6 hours :rolleyes:.

At 4 months old is 90 degrees a good basking temp? or should it be lower?

Sean

90 F is good. i usually kept mine at 87 F because he'll gape whenever it's higher than that.

Sean,

I'm really low tech here.
I just try to keep it around 80-85 degrees basking.
I dont use the digital thermometers or the ones with probes.
My only concern is if they can get their body temperature up for digestion.
I just acquired another female veiled the same age as yours.
I havent had a chance to get a good accurate body basking temp, but I think she is around 85.
Keep it simple

Veileds are more tolerant of varying temps. He would probably do fine the way you've got it, but he will need a higher basking temp than the jacksons.

boy i think i need to think more before i post. what i was doing and what i posted make no sense.

I Re-read your blog Brad (thanks) and adjusted my basking goal to 85 at least for now.

my ambient temperature in my basement varies between 68-74 depending on outside weather. if i leave the basking spot at 85 will i need extra heat to keep the ambient above 70 or is it not really an issue?

(that should have been my original question)

thanks,

Sean

Last edited:
I don't think it would be an issue as long as there is a warm enough basking spot. It's supposed to cool down into the upper sixties at night anyway.

Back
Top Bottom