Such a Tiny Ball of Fluff!

MissLissa

Avid Member
His name is Pigwidgeon. He is an American Coot that I am caring for overnights for the local wildlife rehabilitation center over the next week or so. He currently needs feeding every 30 minutes from 4am to 10pm. Coots don't pick up eating on their own for 4-7 days, so he requires handfeeding until then. He makes adorable peeping sounds.

Apparently American Coot chicks are marked in reds, yellows and iridescent blues as highly ornamented chicks are more noticeable, and thus get more food from their parents. Mom and Dad also recognize individual chicks and each will favour certain chicks over others. Highly marked chicks may also be signalling that they are healthier than their less well-marked siblings, telling the parents that choosing it for special attention would be a good move. This little guy (or girl, can't tell) was found in a field beside a construction zone, without mom or dad in sight. He still has his egg tooth, so we figure he likely hatched last night or some time yesterday. We aren't sure if his parents abandoned him for not being beautiful enough, or if he just got lost somehow. In any case, we will be raising him and releasing him back into his natural habitat as soon as he is capable of surviving on his own.

He was quite and dehydrated when we first took him in early this afternoon, but now he is running all over his brooder, peeping madly. He is enjoying his Insectivore Diet, tiny pieces of mealworm, and blenderized duckweed.

Anyways, I figured the animal lovers on here might enjoy some photos.

O my gosh, he/she is beyond adorable! That sounds like a crazy amount of work but totally worth it! He is in the best of hands. Great job MissLissa!!

Having handled quite a few wild coots in the past, I wanted to share a story about just how "cute" they can be once grown up...

I spent one winter doing volunteer work for a wildlife refuge along the Columbia River, and living in a converted kitchen trailer. The refuge had added a tiny bathroom with a folding vinyl door across one end. Basically, the kitchen took up one half of the trailer with just enough space for a single mattress and belongings wedged in between it and this little bathroom. Hey, the rent and utilities were paid for! Anyway, the temperature plummeted and the river and all the local lakes kept trying to freeze. A local rancher brought a coot into the office that he found frozen in to a pond. I took care of it, but it was a real love-hate relationship for about a month. This overly passionate bird lived in the shower and attacked me every time I had to use the bathroom. He lurked behind the toilet hissing and growling, nipping at my legs whenever possible. To take a shower I had to chase him into a dog crate and park it in the kitchen. But he was also consumed with curiosity so would spend much of his time with his head shoved under the bottom of the folding door watching everything with those glaring red eyes. When the weather finally warmed up I took him down to a pond for release. He gave me one long parting look, bit me in the chin, pooped all over my shirt, and rocketed off as fast as he could. Never so glad to see a guest leave.

Having handled quite a few wild coots in the past, I wanted to share a story about just how "cute" they can be once grown up...

I spent one winter doing volunteer work for a wildlife refuge along the Columbia River, and living in a converted kitchen trailer. The refuge had added a tiny bathroom with a folding vinyl door across one end. Basically, the kitchen took up one half of the trailer with just enough space for a single mattress and belongings wedged in between it and this little bathroom. Hey, the rent and utilities were paid for! Anyway, the temperature plummeted and the river and all the local lakes kept trying to freeze. A local rancher brought a coot into the office that he found frozen in to a pond. I took care of it, but it was a real love-hate relationship for about a month. This overly passionate bird lived in the shower and attacked me every time I had to use the bathroom. He lurked behind the toilet hissing and growling, nipping at my legs whenever possible. To take a shower I had to chase him into a dog crate and park it in the kitchen. But he was also consumed with curiosity so would spend much of his time with his head shoved under the bottom of the folding door watching everything with those glaring red eyes. When the weather finally warmed up I took him down to a pond for release. He gave me one long parting look, bit me in the chin, pooped all over my shirt, and rocketed off as fast as he could. Never so glad to see a guest leave.

Omg carlton! That does not sound cute at all lol! I'm glad you were able to save him but wow

He currently needs feeding every 30 minutes from 4am to 10pm. Coots don't pick up eating on their own for 4-7 days, so he requires handfeeding until then. He makes adorable peeping sounds.

OMG that sounds like it was a lot of work! But the adorable peeping sounds make it all worth while, yea?

We aren't sure if his parents abandoned him for not being beautiful enough, or if he just got lost somehow.

Maybe the parents dropped it off for being TOO beautiful.... I think it looks wicked awesome! Very very pretty!

He gave me one long parting look, bit me in the chin, pooped all over my shirt, and rocketed off as fast as he could. Never so glad to see a guest leave.

Sounds like that coot was getting back at you for putting it in a dog crate before..... ;) Or maybe making sure you never forgot the wonderful times you two shared in the bathroom. LOL :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom