Something isn't right.....

Just read this thread...very sad reading. I'm sorry for your little guy. I hope he pulls through. It's almost criminal that pet shops sell chameleons and don't inform people what they need to raise a healthy animal. I know some of these posts seem harsh on you, but everyone here is greatly conscerned for your cham and will give you all the help you ask for. Please follow their advice. Something that may seem trivial to you can have a great impact on the health of your chameleon. This site has pulled many an ill cham through! I hope yours is one of them. Please update us ASAP. David

i'm on my way to the vet right now, hopefully he's ok. is my set up ok now i have a 18inch UVB 10.0, a full spectrum, and a 100w basking spot light clamped and pointed to one corner where the temp is around 85-90.

i'm on my way to the vet right now, hopefully he's ok. is my set up ok now i have a 18inch UVB 10.0, a full spectrum, and a 100w basking spot light clamped and pointed to one corner where the temp is around 85-90.
What is the name brand of the 10.0? As you have already heard, repti-sun is the best but repti-glo will do and is light years ahead of what you had. When you get time, give us a full rundown of your set up including plants, lights, watering schedule, dusting schedule, humidity, food and temps. Please be as detailed as possible. Include all name brands of calcium and vitamins, gutload and anything else you can think of. This way everyone can help you get him back on track. Good luck and keep us posted.
David

the plants i have are fake jungle ivy and pothos with bio vines. i have a full spec bulb 75W and repti-glo 10.0 (both exo tera) a 100W basking spot light (zoomed) in calmp spot light about 3 in from uper corner. for water i have a constant slow drip i work in a nursing home and i'm using an IV line for the drip control (never used fresh out of the pack ofcourse). for dusting i have calcium with d3(zoomed) which i'll do 1-2 times per week. Fluker multivitamin 2 time per month. still looking for calcium with out D3 that i would do 3-4 times a week. humidity is tough living in upstate ny i have to mist almost every hour because i have the heat on so it's dry, but i try not to let it go below 35%, i know it's supposed to be 50%. Food crickets for now (small ones) with Fluker's high calcium gut load and fluker's orange cubes. i used meal worms but i was told they are not that good for the cham....so if anyone has any other worm type that is good that would help, my local petsmart just started carring alot of different worms. As far as temps around 85 F at basking spot and around 70 in the rest of the cage....hope that hels give everyon an idea.

see my response in red:

Plants:
yours: fake jungle ivy and pothos with bio vines.
suggestion: pothos are good, but you need more plants variety; preferably the one with strong branch for your cham to climb: Ficus Benjamina and Dwarf Umbrella tree. bio vines are good

Light:
yours: a full spec bulb 75W, repti-glo 10.0, a 100W basking spot light.
good enough. We recommend repti sun -available online-; but if you insist with repti glo, i guess it's up to you then. 100 W might turned out to be too hot later on the summer. so have 75 W basking lamp or lower handy

water:
yours: a constant slow drip i work in a nursing home and i'm using an IV line for the drip control.
apart from dripper system you will still need to mist at least twice a day 5 minutes permisting

Supplements:
yours: calcium with d3(zoomed) 1-2 times per week.
Fluker multivitamin 2 time per month.
calcium with out D3 that i would do 3-4 times a week.
suggestion: not enough supplementing. here is my regimen 4 baby: 18 crickets a day
Multi vitamin= MTh
Calcium D3 = TF
Mineral w/o D3 = WSat
No supplement = Sun
for juvenile is the same: i just reduce the # of cricket fed to 7 med size crix

for adult i fed 10 adult crix every other day. therefore the regimen become like this:

Multi Vitamin=M
Mineral no D3 = W
Calcium D3 = F
no supplement = Sun

T,Th,Sat he does not eat

humidity: misting every hour is not good and impossible to do anyway, buy ultrasonic humidifier and turn it on when the day is dry

Food:
yours: crickets for now (small ones) with Fluker's high calcium gut load and fluker's orange cubes. i used meal worms but i was told they are not that good for the cham..

fluker gutload is not that good. orange cube is basically an expensive water gel. again buy some from cricketfood.com and use real vegetables such as collard green, kale, and dandelion.

silkworm, dubia roach, phoenix worm, horn worm, butter worm, there are many feeders available. try mulberryfarms.com and order online

As far as temps around 85 F at basking spot and around 70 in the rest of the cage....hope that hels give everyon an idea.
good temp when he reach adulthood you might want to raise the basking temp to 90F.
I hope everything is clear cause i'm starting to feel that i'm repeating some of my old post :)

thanks dodolah, i just really wanted to double check. i went to the link someone left and it helped alot with the RIGHT set up. i've been taking down alot of notes so i have a constant reminder. for the greens should i hang them somehow i just got dandelion seeds and i'm gonna start to grow my own. Thank You again....have to go see duece...

thanks dodolah, i just really wanted to double check. i went to the link someone left and it helped alot with the RIGHT set up. i've been taking down alot of notes so i have a constant reminder. for the greens should i hang them somehow i just got dandelion seeds and i'm gonna start to grow my own. Thank You again....have to go see duece...
You should be able to find all the wild dandelion you can handle. It grows in all parts of the country and even in the winter in the south. Let us know how he's doing. David

:( not good at all, duece died 2 nights ago. He looked so good i went to see him before i went to work and he ate out of my hand, it felt like he was back to normal or atleast his same old self, i used to feed him a meal worm by hand when i would hold him. the vet called me at about 6pm saying he didn't make it. its horrible while i was there the vet was talking about bringing him home soon i just ordered some butter worms and new gutload before he called too. i've been talking to a breader in my area about him and he has some sub-adults he is selling. i'll have to look into it.

Oh, dear. Thank you for letting us know. You have my sincere sympathy for your loss. You did what you could do, and, at least you have some experience you can draw on in the future.

thank you gasang. it sucks just lookin at his cage he never really got to exsperience. ur vieled looks amazing, they are such a amazing creature.

I'm so sorry :( just know that this is just one of those painful stepping stones. Good luck finding a new cham:) I'm sure there's one out there that will be perfect for you!!

I am sorry for your loss. You did the best you could knowing what you did. I lost a Cham before i got my male and it Sucks! Mine died of a respitory infection. I didnt even know she had it because the vets didnt check. I took her in like 5 times. I hope your next Cham is healthy and Happy!

Im so sorry, thats terrible, but dont give up! Now you have the information and all the friends you can ever ask for here and we will do what we can so this doesnt happen to anyone else!!

hey.. just got back from running errands.. and saw your update.
I'm sorry to hear that :(.
Since you are going to buy another one, my suggestion, as always, is to correct your husbandry and finalize the enclosure (complete with the real plants and so on) BEFORE you purchase a new chameleon.

Many people make a mistake thinking that they can just put the cham in a bare enclosure and slowly "add" the furniture.
If you have to, hold your impulse in buying another one right away be4 you are ready.

Just got done reading this whole thread :( Its sad. Sorry your little guy didn't make it.

Adults, or sub-adults are normally less hard to take care of, so good luck getting another cahm :)

Back
Top Bottom