smells in panthers cage

Meg4433

Established Member
i clean my panthers cage daily but it smells musty. I have 3 plants, and a dripper. I also put drift wood and the water does fall on that. i spray the cage too. My Panther has been dehydrated and I have used the dripper and spray a lot. Is it just gonna smell or is there some ideas on how to make it smell fresh again. Any type of reptile cleaners that may help?

I would imagine the combination of live plants, driftwood being constantly wet, and possibly over misting is causing your cage to stay damp all day. This is not what you want as you are creating an ideal condition for bacteria to grow. Your cage needs a dry period in between misting. How often are you spraying and running the dripper? Have you set up a drainage system? You mentioned that you clean the cage daily, but when was the last time you took everything out and apart for deep cleaning?

I do need to create a draining system. I am spraying too much for it to smell musty. is it possible for it not too. I am gonna take it apart tomorrow. Can't stand the smell. I have had a really hard time getting my little guy to drink...

Sniff your plants, it could be the start of "root rot" from roots that stay too wet. Smells awful. The remedy is to let the pots dry out.

Also, the driftwood is rather porous, so it will grow mildew if it stays wet. If you can fit it in the oven, I used to bake mine for 30 mins at 350*F periodically.

That's a good idea about the driftwood. It's proably needs that. The plants I think are wet. Tomorrow I will smell them. Lol. I am sure they don't smell to good. Thank you

Proactively you can plant pleasant smelling vining plants. I use various passionflower vines in mine, have tried honeysuckle put it doesn't like the misting and leaves started to rot. If you have enough plant lighting you have many options to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom