Musty mildew smell in my whole apartment!

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I walked into my apartment a while ago and smelled a strong mildew musky smell! I know it’s coming from my Jackson’s cage but what to do about it? I clean regularly the bottom of the cage and pour hydrogen peroxide all over the bottom and down into the drainage tray. I hadn’t done it in 3-4 weeks because I’ve been sick but I did it today. I think it helped but I don’t know if the smell is gone or not. I have chronic sinus issues so my nose Doesn’t work very good. We’ve had a lot of rain in the past 5-6 weeks here in Maine. I bet we haven’t had but maybe 8 days of sunshine in that time so I’m wondering if that is why. All my windows are showing some mold and mildew. I need to clean them and I’m planning on doing that over the next couple days as well. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

The enclosure should not be emitting that much mold and mildew. Try misting before the lights go off at night and shortly before they go on in the morning. This allows the enclosure completely dry out during the day. You do not want a warm and wet/humid environment for your Cham which could lead to respiratory issues for you too. Make sure you completely dry the bottom of your enclosure every day and avoid poop soup. Consider running an air conditioner or a dehumidifier. I love to vacation in Maine. If you’re by the coast I know it’s tough to avoid the salt air and humidity. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Fans help too. Even the little computer case fans. When the humidity is up, air circulation needs to be up as well. Even my people bath towels get stinky this time of year just sitting on the drying rack, they dont dry fast enough.

These are all great suggestions and I do have a computer Fan running on the top of the cage. I run an air conditioner all night to cool the room to 65 degrees for Eustis so he gets the temp drop and a fogger for the night humidity but it all turns off in the am except the fan. And yes I’m by the coast. It’s very warm and humid outside and I don’t do well with heat and humidity because of my asthma so I tend to keep the house closed up. I did i am opening it up in the evening when it’s cooler to let the air blow through. Thanks for all your help!

Well Walmart only had the big bucket so that’s what I got. I took the lid off and put it in the opposite end of the living room from the Cham enclosure. It does smell nice. We will see how well it works. It’s very hot and humid here today so I have my air conditioner running as well.

Thank you both! So you put this stuff right in the drainage tray Underneath the cage?
Yes, make sure its non toxic, food grade.
Thank you both! So you put this stuff right in the drainage tray Underneath the cage?
Yes, make sure its non toxic, food grade. Damp rid is a dissicant. Its really good at pulling moisture out of the air. Food grade Silica packets can be added to the water drainage container. It turns the water to a gel like substance.

Well the big bucket of damp rid didn’t do much so I had to get a dehumidifier. It came yesterday and I started it up late this afternoon after reading the instructions. It seems to be working great! The humidity is down14 % so far and it’s only been on for an hour!

Back
Top Bottom