Should I switch from 5.0 UVB to a 10.0?

Nrupaw

Established Member
I had a question about UVB Light Bulbs. As recommended on the forum, I currently use a Reptisun 5.0 for my Jackson's Chameleon (Xanth). Its on top of a 18x18x36 screen cage.

However I have noticed that pretty often he will climb up a branch and sit himself as close to the UVB as possible, and bask there for a few hrs. I mean, if he could get close even, i am sure he'd do that!! During this time, he'll take on a darker shade of greenish brown.

Now my question is - Would the fact that my bulb is a 5.0 have to do anything with this? Would a change to 10.0 be recommended? I actually still don't know why only 5.0s are recommended and the 10.0s aren't.

Attachments

• Thakur 5.jpg
    Thakur 5.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 311
they change a darker color to take in more sun just like when you wear a black t-shirt in the sun u get hot faster then when your wearing a white t-shirt. the reason why you use a 5.0 uvb bulb is because it is a tropical rating and a 10.0 uvb is a desert rating stronger uvb. as long as you r supplementing properly like calcium plus everyday and calcium with D3 twice a month you have nothing to worrie about. all my chams sit at there uvb bulb for hours and bask and when they r done they go else where in their cage.

they change a darker color to take in more sun just like when you wear a black t-shirt in the sun u get hot faster then when your wearing a white t-shirt. the reason why you use a 5.0 uvb bulb is because it is a tropical rating and a 10.0 uvb is a desert rating stronger uvb. as long as you r supplementing properly like calcium plus everyday and calcium with D3 twice a month you have nothing to worrie about. all my chams sit at there uvb bulb for hours and bask and when they r done they go else where in their cage.
Gotcha. That clears it up a little bit. Thanks much.

And I am guessing, there's nothing like a 8.0 rating is there?

I was made to believe that the 10.0`s were for Desert type reptiles that are used to and process direct sunlight,,,and the 5.0`s are for reptiles that live in trees!!!!

To be honest I keep my jacksons in a plastic mesh cage and I used a 5.0, but I don't think it's sufficient. I put in a stronger bulb, but I'm not sure it's putting out enough UVB. What do you guys think?

http://www.osh.com/eng/product/ge_cool_white_15w_t12_f15_18in_1pk/6629059

Again, it's a plastic thick mesh, so I figured the 5.0 wasn't strong enough, so I bought a T12 thinking it was stronger, but it's only 15 watts:

043168980500xl.jpg

Is there any indication what the UVB output/percentage is without a meter? It's certainly not written on the box.

With the light you have in the picture it doesn't say what UVB because it does not have any. UVB bulbs are specially made, so just a regular fluorescent tube won't emit any UVB.

Gotcha. That clears it up a little bit. Thanks much.

And I am guessing, there's nothing like a 8.0 rating is there?

They used to make a 8.0 but I have not seen many in a while. Stick with the 5.0 unless you have a uvb meter.

This is the reason i bought up my initial question. Here is a picture of him hanging from the top of the screen right under the UVB light.

Found him doing it this afternoon when i got home. Never seem him do it before.

e2u2ahut.jpg

They will do that. Even with strong UVB I have some that just love to wander around upside down

I have always used a 5.0 with my Jackson. He used to walk upside down on his roof pretty much every day, but now he's older he doesn't do it so much.

What is the basking spot temperature? Maybe your cham is too hot? Also whats the ambiant temperature?

I noticed when my basking temp was too hot my panther would only bask an hour at the most and spend most of the day under the UVB. But once i added more branches so he could have different levels under the basking light he would spend most of the day basking. Now he even sleeps where the basking branches are...Glad he can wake up to some warmth.

And my cham turns dark when he's basking/absorbing uvb. Even when he's outside in the sun he damn near turns black lol.

Based on that picture look under your cham. All I see is empty space. Maybe he is trying to tell you there isn't a good perch under his UVB where he could sit and bask to absorb it! Try putting a branch with some foliage closer under the UVB so he doesn't have to be on the screen to get closer.

What is the basking spot temperature? Maybe your cham is too hot? Also whats the ambiant temperature?

I noticed when my basking temp was too hot my panther would only bask an hour at the most and spend most of the day under the UVB. But once i added more branches so he could have different levels under the basking light he would spend most of the day basking. Now he even sleeps where the basking branches are...Glad he can wake up to some warmth.

And my cham turns dark when he's basking/absorbing uvb. Even when he's outside in the sun he damn near turns black lol.

The basking spot temp is around 83 deg and the ambient is around 75 deg. I do have a ton of perches in there the basking spot itself has 3 levels

gapu7enu.jpg

But he still gravitates under the UVB.

Seems like from whatevery one says, its normal to hang upside down. Never seen that before so kinda freaked me out.

Here is the area under the UVB, he hangs around on the top vine

2a6a2esa.jpg

Really, NONE!!! :D
I would get out and replace it asap

I just went out and bought two 10.0 bulbs. Thanks for the heads up! They were literally 3X as expensive as the ones in the department store. Slap a reptile on the box and you can charge whatever you want it seems. :rolleyes:

I gotta' find the chemical coating they use or the gas inside that gives off UVB, because this is ridiculous.

*By the way nrupaw, my big male looks identical to yours, and also is the most active in the cage to seek out the light source and hang underneath it. My ambient temps are 70 with a basking spot of 86 Fahrenheit, however. And there's plenty of spots within 8 inches to be under the lamp on the Schefflera plant.

I like those twisty vines you have. Do you have any substrate?

There are rumors that 10.0 bulbs are too bright for chameleons. As some other members said, 5.0's are made for arboreal/tropical species and 10.0's are made for desert species such as beardies. I certainly would like to see that 8.0 bulb come out... :(

You don't want to use 2 10.0's, he will get fried from overexposure. You need to exchange them for 5.0's. Trust me on this, two 10.0 bulbs will cause UVB burns and most likely kill him.:eek:

*By the way nrupaw, my big male looks identical to yours, and also is the most active in the cage to seek out the light source and hang underneath it. My ambient temps are 70 with a basking spot of 86 Fahrenheit, however. And there's plenty of spots within 8 inches to be under the lamp on the Schefflera plant.

I like those twisty vines you have. Do you have any substrate?

Thanks! I acutally bought a few exxo terra and flukers vines from the store, folded them in half and twisted them. Kinda like pig tails. They look kinda cool that way, and since they are now double the original thickness, they can bear more eight

Nope, no substrate, i have a LLL reptile substrate tray i there but i cover the floor with paper towels

Here are some older prictures. Done a lot of changes over time though

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-first-cham-setup-89793/

Back
Top Bottom