Russian tortoise?

caroline?

Avid Member
Hi! so i've been thinking about getting a tortoise for like my whole life and now im in a place where i could potentially get one. i think i want a Russian tortoise but i don't know a lot about them, is their a website that anyone recommends for tortoise research? and also if anyone owns one could you give me some advice?

or should i just get another cham🤔
decisions are hard.
i do really love the translucent veileds and i already have an enclosure for one

Hi! so i've been thinking about getting a tortoise for like my whole life and now im in a place where i could potentially get one. i think i want a Russian tortoise but i don't know a lot about them, is their a website that anyone recommends for tortoise research? and also if anyone owns one could you give me some advice?

kinyonga

Many/most Russian/Horsfield tortoises in the pet trade (e.g. Pet— chains) are WC.
You can find CB, but AFAIK it's unusual.

There are quite a few tortoise forums. I suggest trying a few.

Have you considered a Desert Tortoise?
Slightly larger than a Russian, but in the same ballpark. ;)

If size is a factor, there are quite a few other choices worth looking into.
10 Best Pet Tortoise Breeds for Beginners
6 Tortoises That Stay Small
The 10 Best Tortoise Species for Pets
13 Best Pet Tortoise Breeds & Species (For Beginners)

You will want to make sure you can give him a Turtle Table type setup that is big enough for them. How much space do you have?

I didn't give you information on the Russians since I've never kept them....and I don't want to give you bad info..but I did keep the ones below...

Here are some small to medium turtle/tortoises that you might like to look at...
https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/ca...g-of-the-central-american-ornate-wood-turtle/

https://www.thesprucepets.com/three-toed-box-turtle-1238471

One more that I didn't keep but know a bit about...
https://www.thesprucepets.com/eastern-box-turtle-1238467

Last edited:
@kinyonga preferably a tortoise that dose get over like 50 pounds. as for the space i have a very large outdoor area that used to be a garden/pig pen that would be perfect for a tortoise enclosure and i can also fit a tortoise hutch indoors. im open to looking into a different species, i just want to get the right species for me :)

Sorry, when you said Russian, I thought you were aiming for something small.
Leopard tortoises can get around 50 lb. Sulcatas somewhat larger. Sulcatas are quite common, and you may be able to find a rescue.

Other possibilities:
Leopard Tortoise

Both are larger tortoises. Sulcata tortoises are the third largest tortoise species. Leopard tortoises are the fourth largest tortoise species. Sulcatas average about 2.5-feet long and 80-110-pounds, whereas leopard tortoises average about 10-18-inches and 40-50-pounds.

The sulcata tortoise (Geochelone sulcata), also known as the African spurred tortoise, is one of the largest tortoise species in the world. ... Native to arid and semiarid regions of Africa, these tortoises can adapt to various living conditions, which is one reason why they have become popular as a pet.

i did some more research and watched the videos you guys sent and i'll probably need to get a smaller tortoise.
my family had Russian tortoises when i was little but my mom didn't properly care for them and we ended up giving them to our old neighbors:(. they are one of my favorite tortoise species and i like that they stay smaller so i'll probably end up getting one of them but i will do tons of research before getting it because i want to be fully prepared. im not looking to get a tortoise like this week or anything i'll probably be waiting at least a few months, i don't want to rush into anything but i do know i want one as my next pet. thank you for the help everyone and i'll keep you updated on what comes next :)

i did some more research and watched the videos you guys sent and i'll probably need to get a smaller tortoise.
I... thought you might reconsider. The articles at the bottom of post #3 might be of help as starting points.

my family had Russian tortoises when i was little but my mom didn't properly care for them and we ended up giving them to our old neighbors:(. they are one of my favorite tortoise species and i like that they stay smaller so i'll probably end up getting one of them but i will do tons of research before getting it because i want to be fully prepared. im not looking to get a tortoise like this week or anything i'll probably be waiting at least a few months, i don't want to rush into anything but i do know i want one as my next pet.
I think that's a wise course of action. No rush, especially with a tortoise! 😁

My Missus just went through that whole process of researching the various smaller species, care, etc. She settled on a Western Hermann's Tortoise, which we're awaiting delivery on.

I... thought you might reconsider. The articles at the bottom of post #3 might be of help as starting points.

I think that's a wise course of action. No rush, especially with a tortoise! 😁

My Missus just went through that whole process of researching the various smaller species, care, etc. She settled on a Western Hermann's Tortoise, which we're awaiting delivery on.

that video is great ahah, have you guys gotten your tortoise yet? thats so exiting!

The sulcata tortoise (Geochelone sulcata), also known as the African spurred tortoise, is one of the largest tortoise species in the world. ... Native to arid and semiarid regions of Africa, these tortoises can adapt to various living conditions, which is one reason why they have become popular as a pet.
I had a male 200#. Must be prepared to move them with a hand truck, recruit others to get them in a car for a vet trip, build a major heated house, etc. Think of them as horses.

I had a golden greek for 8 years then my best friend fell in luv with him and she has him now. The greeks look a lot like russians and and are perect size for apt living. This is a 50 year commitment so do all of your research before getting any tortoise. I have heard russians tend to be ill tempered and bite so watch out. Their digestive systems are different and the new pushes out the old. So i had an enclosure where he ate and did his business. When done, bath time then he had a run of the apt. when he was younger i wouldblock off the kitchen so he could do laps. They need a lot of excercise. so take that into consideration. Best site i have found lots of info and you can call them. https://www.tortoisetown.com

Now that's big! Gotta take my turtle to the vet, can I borrow your forklift. Lol.
Forgot to mention-used to get 3 bales of hay delivered at a time, and woke up one morning at 3 AM with their house ablaze. they decided to pile up and dislodged the ceramic heater. I would for sure go for a nice little desert tort these days :)

have you guys gotten your tortoise yet? thats so exiting!
THX, yes it is. Word is he's going to be shipped next week. 🤷‍♂️

turtle GIF

Forgot to mention-used to get 3 bales of hay delivered at a time, and woke up one morning at 3 AM with their house ablaze. they decided to pile up and dislodged the ceramic heater. I would for sure go for a nice little desert tort these days :)
I think that would be a good idea! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom