Retained clutch after 5 months?

JRchameleons

I have a female veiled who was bred at the end of November and laid a clutch of 36 eggs at the end of December. She has not laid another clutch since and has not been bred again. The past couple of weeks she has appeared to be gravid again. Is this clutch likely to be infertile, or is there any chance it could be fertile from retained sperm? I know they can retain sperm this long, but I also know that they generally lay a retained clutch 3 months after the first and then sometimes another one about 6 months after the first. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 678A0920.jpg
    678A0920.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 216
I have a female veiled who was bred at the end of November and laid a clutch of 36 eggs at the end of December. She has not laid another clutch since and has not been bred again. The past couple of weeks she has appeared to be gravid again. Is this clutch likely to be infertile, or is there any chance it could be fertile from retained sperm? I know they can retain sperm this long, but I also know that they generally lay a retained clutch 3 months after the first and then sometimes another one about 6 months after the first. Any thoughts?

It has been 3 months from Roxy's first clutch was laid, she does not seem to have eggs but she is scratching at the potted plant soil. Do I need to get the bin ready even though she does not seem to have eggs?

Yes, always have a laying bin in the cage for her because sometimes they won't show the classic signs of needing to lay (like going off food, wandering, etc.) and you don't want to miss providing her with a bin.

I've had a female veiled lay a 6 month retained clutch.

Back
Top Bottom