Rescued a turtle

Can you take a photo of his tail and one of the underside of his shell (plastron). It might help us to tell if it’s make or female.

What position, on the underside of the tail is the cloaca opening in? Close to the shell or further down the tail?

Last edited:
It’s got a chubby tail which then becomes thin at the end, so I’m thinking male. I’m not sure where exactly the cloaca is though. Again he’s shedding scutes and this odd very thin flaky black stuff. I had thought that was just dirt build up and that I had gotten it all off with yesterday’s bath. It’s back though. He slept in the water all night and has been doing nothing but basking since before I got up. Have found him with his eyes closed a couple of times and hope that turtles do nap. I’m not in a position to afford any more vet visits for a while. 😬

IMG_4845.jpeg
IMG_4847.jpeg
IMG_4851.jpeg
IMG_4853.jpeg
IMG_4850.jpeg

I like it! I’ll have to see if it fits him.
I think I have identified at least what type of turtle he is - not a yellow bellied slider but a Florida red bellied cooter. The shell and face markings are a perfect match for this species.

Update: turtle is doing so much better. He’s stopped shedding scutes finally and his shell is looking better. He loves to eat and has learned quickly how to tell me he wants food. Still not taking more than a tiny nibble of greens though. I’m thinking about getting some live plants that are edible for him and see if instinct kicks in. He’s still working on his swimming and is slowly figuring out diving. For the most part though he just floats/swims at the top. His super duper filter is set up and it has a pretty strong waterfall/spray to it. He seems to enjoy playing in it a little bit.
I tried the name Crush and it just doesn’t fit. The only name that feels natural is cheeseburger.
I told the local wildlife hospital about him and they told me that because of the skeletal damage (mbd), he’ll never be able to be released back into the wild. Not the answer I was hoping for. I guess I’ll have to work on giving him a pretty home now.
IMG_4862.jpeg IMG_4861.jpeg

I love cheeseburger 😂 you are right, it so fits him. ❤️ so glad he’s doing better. And since he can’t live wild he’s in the best hands around for sure.

Generally…if the tail is thick long it means male and short stubby tails mean female.

A secondary characteristic is looking at the front claws. Males may have longer front nails than females.

A concave plastron allows for a male turtle to fit over a female’s shell during mating without rolling off. The female’s flatter plastron gives her more room internally in which to grow eggs.

The female's cloaca/vent is rounder and more star-shaped than the male's. It is also found closer to her body, near the base of her tail where it joins her body.
The male's cloaca/vent is longer and more slit-like. It’s located in the last third of the tail, closer to the tail tip.

I can’t swear this is all true for all turtles.

In my travels I happened across a turtle (yellow bellied slider maybe?) in a very sad situation. Poor thing was in about 2” of nasty and foul water - no light, no heat, no filter, no dry area, no nothing - just a 20 gallon tank, the foul water and the turtle…for 2-3 years. I was given this poor little critter and it is just so sad. Poor thing doesn’t even know how to ‘turtle’ anymore. I quickly set up a 55 gallon tank which while ideally needs to be bigger, will do for now. I just need a decent canister filter, which will have to wait a couple of weeks. Anyhow, I put the turtle in his new tank this morning and he has forgotten how to dive and swim. He’s just paddling around at the top. Thankfully he has enough strength and know how to climb to the basking area and has been basking all day. Not sure if it’s just being able to dry out, the heat or the uvb, but he’s obviously enjoying it. Has been shedding scutes like crazy and I’m wondering how many layers of shed scutes have built up. I’m surprised it doesn’t have shell rot, infected eyes and is even just still alive. I do see some missing claws and possible scars. I think it was another case of being found in the wild and taken as a hostage pet. It has no idea what real food is other than pellets which are even too big for it to eat. Hopefully with time, it’ll remember how to ‘turtle’ and recover. A turtle is the very last thing I want, but my stupid soft heart over-ruled the brain.
*don’t laugh at my diy basking dock.
View attachment 340602View attachment 340603
Aww he/ she is adorable and I'm glad you have such a great heart! My husband would hate it but I would have done the same thing 🥰 I can't stand to see animals not taken care of properly. Not to get off subject but we went to a county fair last month with my daughter and grandson and there was a reptile expo. So I took my grandson in and while he loved seeing all the snakes turtles beardies and everything all it did was piss me off the rattle snakes that were there had shed caps on their eyes, they had large beardies in a small cage together that I honestly thought were going to fight because their beards were so dark they had shaping turtles with no sign that said don't pet. It was just ridiculous a man and his daughter came up to the turtle and she started to put her hands in to touch and I made sure he knew that it would bite her. I was just so mad when I left that place. But...my grandson loved it lol every lizard we seen he kept asking me is that like groot which is what he named my chameleon it was adorable. ( I don't have my cham yet I should have him in 2 weeks) he is really excited. Anyway I'm glad the turtle has a good home. Thanks missSkittles 💓

Update: turtle is doing so much better. He’s stopped shedding scutes finally and his shell is looking better. He loves to eat and has learned quickly how to tell me he wants food. Still not taking more than a tiny nibble of greens though. I’m thinking about getting some live plants that are edible for him and see if instinct kicks in. He’s still working on his swimming and is slowly figuring out diving. For the most part though he just floats/swims at the top. His super duper filter is set up and it has a pretty strong waterfall/spray to it. He seems to enjoy playing in it a little bit.
I tried the name Crush and it just doesn’t fit. The only name that feels natural is cheeseburger.
I told the local wildlife hospital about him and they told me that because of the skeletal damage (mbd), he’ll never be able to be released back into the wild. Not the answer I was hoping for. I guess I’ll have to work on giving him a pretty home now.
View attachment 341369View attachment 341370
He is such a cutie!

I’m pretty sure he’s a he. Although his plastron deformity makes it impossible to go by that, his tail is long, very thick for the first half of it and his vent is a very thin slit at the distal quarter. Hard to go by his nails as nothing for comparison plus his left foot has shorter claws and he’s missing a couple of toes. Also has a keloid type scar on his tail. Poor guy has seemingly not had an easy life. An aquatic turtle is the last animal I need or want - lots of work keeping clean and will far outlive me - but I’ll do my best to give him a good life.
@Shauna_T that reptile fair sounds terrible. I hate things like that where animals are kept so poorly and exploited for $$. Then it sets it up for people to think that’s how to keep the animals. Maybe when the snapping turtle takes off someone’s fingers, they’ll shut that show down. On the positive, it’s wonderful that you can share and pass on your love of reptiles to your grandson. No doubt that you’ll be teaching him that proper husbandry matters and to respect all animals. 💗

I’m pretty sure he’s a he. Although his plastron deformity makes it impossible to go by that, his tail is long, very thick for the first half of it and his vent is a very thin slit at the distal quarter. Hard to go by his nails as nothing for comparison plus his left foot has shorter claws and he’s missing a couple of toes. Also has a keloid type scar on his tail. Poor guy has seemingly not had an easy life. An aquatic turtle is the last animal I need or want - lots of work keeping clean and will far outlive me - but I’ll do my best to give him a good life.
@Shauna_T that reptile fair sounds terrible. I hate things like that where animals are kept so poorly and exploited for $$. Then it sets it up for people to think that’s how to keep the animals. Maybe when the snapping turtle takes off someone’s fingers, they’ll shut that show down. On the positive, it’s wonderful that you can share and pass on your love of reptiles to your grandson. No doubt that you’ll be teaching him that proper husbandry matters and to respect all animals. 💗
Absolutely I was so upset I almost lost it and went to go have words with the person in charge but instead I took some deep breaths and as my grandson ask why I was taking deep breaths I started explaining what they were doing wrong with the animals. When we left he told me they shouldn't have those lizards and snakes and that we should take them home. Lol (he's only 4yrs old) I love that he loves all animals. He wants to get a tortious so that is next on the list. He and my daughter just moved back in and I have a place to keep one for him and some of the stuff needed so we won't need too much for it. 😊

Back
Top Bottom