Rescued a turtle

Just randomly wondering about cheeseburger ☺️ what a great name ♥️
He’s doing great and is enjoying being a turtle. He’s been diving and swimming, albeit a bit crooked because of his shell/spine deformity, but it doesn’t seem to bother him. He’s so cute when I’m getting his food ready - he starts going crazy and splashing...and he’s just adorable when he’s basking and has his legs and feet all stretched out. 🤗 He’s been curious about me and will let me gently touch his chin. Still freaks out to even the lightest touch to his shell though. I really don’t want nor need a turtle, but I sure am enjoying him being here.🥰

He’s doing great and is enjoying being a turtle. He’s been diving and swimming, albeit a bit crooked because of his shell/spine deformity, but it doesn’t seem to bother him. He’s so cute when I’m getting his food ready - he starts going crazy and splashing...and he’s just adorable when he’s basking and has his legs and feet all stretched out. 🤗 He’s been curious about me and will let me gently touch his chin. Still freaks out to even the lightest touch to his shell though. I really don’t want nor need a turtle, but I sure am enjoying him being here.🥰
Oh that’s so good to hear. Turtles are so awesome. I also wasn’t in the market for one but I’m so glad I have her as well. She comes wandering over to the sound of my voice.. those little turtle faces looking up at you is so adorable 🥰 ( I wonder if his shell causes him pain because of his problems? I do know that they can feel them and that wasn’t something I would have originally thought, I scratch Shelbys gently sometimes and she seems to enjoy it 🤷🏻‍♀️. I hope cheeseburger has a long happy life with you

Generally…if the tail is thick long it means male and short stubby tails mean female.

A secondary characteristic is looking at the front claws. Males may have longer front nails than females.

A concave plastron allows for a male turtle to fit over a female’s shell during mating without rolling off. The female’s flatter plastron gives her more room internally in which to grow eggs.

The female's cloaca/vent is rounder and more star-shaped than the male's. It is also found closer to her body, near the base of her tail where it joins her body.
The male's cloaca/vent is longer and more slit-like. It’s located in the last third of the tail, closer to the tail tip.

I can’t swear this is all true for all turtles.
Slider-Trachemys and Cooter-Pseudemys don’t really follow concave plastron rule. Nails and cloaca/vents are sure way giveaway to determine their sex. :)

Slider-Trachemys and Cooter-Pseudemys don’t really follow concave plastron rule. Nails and cloaca/vents are sure way giveaway to determine their sex. :)
You know turtles?! 😃 I believe it’s a boy red bellied Florida cooter. Do you think I’ve got it correct? Any tips on how to get him to eat greens? Any type in particular that I should try? Would I do better to get him some aquatic plants to chomp on?

You know turtles?! 😃 I believe it’s a boy red bellied Florida cooter. Do you think I’ve got it correct? Any tips on how to get him to eat greens? Any type in particular that I should try? Would I do better to get him some aquatic plants to chomp on?
I’m thinking female. Hard to say. It seem like improper care stunted it growth.

Cooters should eat greens as they get older. It at the stage where it should be more herbivorous. Buy some Anacharis, or if you know anyone with outdoor koi ponds, ask anyone for water Lily leaves when they prune. They should love to munch on that.

Cooters should eat greens as they get older. It at the stage where it should be more herbivorous. Buy some Anacharis, or if you know anyone with outdoor koi ponds, ask anyone for water Lily leaves when they prune. They should love to munch on that.
@BleuSaphir is our turtle person in the community :)

Thanks so much! 💗 There’s a fantastic aquarium store that has helped me get the water right. I’ll have to see if he has any of the anacharis or can get water lily leaves for me.

Back
Top Bottom