Rescued a Chameleon Last Night...

You know, I think he might just make it...

He's still very weak, but this morning he ate 3 mealworms, and a cricket, mostly of his own volition. I got a cc of water into him, and returned him to his cage. He pooped so huge I was amazed he could hold so much in that tiny little body of his, and then he set about to explore his cage a little. He tired quickly, and went back to his basking spot to sleep.

But, I'd say he's looking at least 25% better today, than he was the night I got him. ^___^

Hope the improvements continue!

Keep an eye on the grey marks on his sides and if they start growing I would take him back to the vet. If he develops any "pimples" near them take him back too.

It's about 55 degrees outside, and overcast today. But he does have a UVB light on. :)

His color has been improving, his legs turn bright green when I bring him out for food and water. His back and head stay ashen white all the time, though. :\

I dunno - he is looking perkier; I'm just hoping it isn't the calm before the storm. *fret*

There are several members here that are more experienced
and offer better advise than the vast majority of the vet out there
I'm glad that your rescue is improving... lets see if it continues.
they're a hardy species from what I've read thus far
seems like you've halted the decline for sure.

Eating is a great sign and is the returning to color
Have you tried wax worms (or silkworms) for him yet?
they're easier to digest and better overall.

glad to hear the continued good news

Well.... The spiny's not appearing to be making much progress. When I went in this morning he was hanging upside down by only his back feet... I thought he was dead. x.x

He wasn't dead thankfully, and I got some water into him, but he's not swallowing any food today. I've tried decapitated crickets and mealworms, I think I'm going to go buy some waxworms and see if those will be easier for him.

His gray spots are shifting between ash gray, and charcoal grey, and I'm not entirely sure why; it seems random, and my vet has no idea other than a possible internal injury.

So at this point, I'm debating whether all my work with him is doing any good. I don't want to give up on him, but if he's in agony with no hope of coming around, I don't want to force him to be here any longer than is comfortable.

So I'm not sure whether to keep going, or have him humanely put down. I'll give it a couple more days though to decide. :\

If he continues refusing to swallow his food after I try a couple more tricks, I think it'll be a sign that he's decided for me. >.< Keeping my fingers crossed though.

No matter what happens though... I really think I'm going to have a chammie. If this one makes it, it'll be him, and if not I think I'm going to invest in a male chameleon of another variety. I'm... hopelessly smitten. :eek:

Hanging upside down is actually normal at times and if he was doing it with just his back legs with no tail then he's still got some good strength in him. Glad to see your not giving up on him but also look into the fact that they do have hunger strikes and misting them helps them get thru it I've heard also I've read that close to shedding they kinda brush off eating. I would imagine their skin is itchy and distracting during that time. My chameleon just shedded again (2nd time) in 2 months. Yesterday she was not so into hunting her food down. Today she is peeling rubber going after it. During the shedding she showed some very very dark spots in her skin as she climbed thru bushes to scrape all the skin off. All in all her shedding process took about 5 hours and now she is showing some new color paterns.

can you post some new photos of him and his setup. and type of food you can try is chicken baby food through a syringe. add a little calcium to it. have you asked the vet for any liquid calcium to give him/

Xeikeness - I know that my friend in Portland contacted you about helping you out with a cage and I hope you have connected. She would certainly be a good contact for you anyway as she and hubby have a strong and reputable background in breeding chameleons.

I do not recall if anyone has suggested Fluker's Repta-aid. it is carried in most pet-store's for about $10. Be sure to get the one for Insectivores. When I first started lurking on cham forums there was a woman from Canada who rescued a male veiled, Zoe, and kept him alive for months (many!) by feeding him daily on this. He had his tongue amputated so she had no choice, they were both real troopers. It was a different forum but I am sure some here probably remember Kim & Zoe. Anyway, I would definitely get some, mix it and he will likely lap it up - they usually love the stuff! I have used it for both my chams and bearded dragon when needed. Here is a pic so you know what you are looking for, you should have no problem finding it.

091197730306.jpg

Thanks! I'll go and pick some of that up tomorrow to try. I'll get some new pics later tonight, if I can. I still only have my cruddy webcam, but it's better than nothing, I suppose. Also, I could hook the cam up live, if you have yahoo messenger.

Your Cham is in my thoughts.......

I don't really have anything to offer on this but my prayers and support for what you are doing. Keep trying with this one. He seems to have a big will to live. You are also gain a lot of experience and knowledge that will prove useful in the future if you get another cham. I'm praying for your boy and hope you see some improvement again soon. He's lucky to have you caring for him :)

Thanks for the birthday wishes Trion, thanks everyone for your help. :)

Today isn't much better for the little cham, whom I've named Casper. I promised him that if he gets better I'll give him a more noble name. lol

Today as usual I managed to get some water into him, and he seemed pretty tolerant of that. I got a couple butterworms and a cricket down, along with a mealworm. Much better than yesterday, when he wouldn't eat anything at all.

Unfortunately, he regurgitated almost everything. The grey spot on his left side appears to be getting larger. I called my vet, and he said I can come in anytime without an appointment to put the cham down. He seemed more ready to eat today, but he's having big issues keeping anything down. So I got into him a gentler meal of only a couple butter worms, a little water, and put him away.

He's not gripping things too well today, and I'm battling with the dilemma of whether or not continuing with this is worth it for him. Sigh. It happens sometimes with rescues; and I know. I'll give him until Tuesday to "decide for himself" before I decide for him. My fingers are crossed for him. I really want him to pull through.

I live in a house with four other people(big house) including my boyfriend, and I have everyone here rooting for Casper. They come down to check on him every day and watch me take care of him. He's got more support than our troops at this point, I think. LOL

Hopefully he'll start feeling the love soon, and come around. I don't think he will, but I can hope. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom