Reptisun 10.0 Vs. Reptisun 5.0

Synapse

Thinking about using 10.0 instead of 5.0

Any reason not to? My cages all have excellent amounts of foliage in case my cham needs shade. Can't think of a reason not to switch. They will last me much longer, that's for sure.

Thoughts?

I use a 10.0 as screen cages can take some uv away. If you have shade it will be fine. I would still change the light every 6 months though as they won't be giving off much uv at all after 6 months.

The 10 radiates uvb 24" while the 5 radiates it 12". If using a large cage it may be appropriate to use a 10 IMO. I've used both. I think you should take into account the distance of the basking spot from the uvb light. Just my thoughts...

The 10 radiates uvb 24" while the 5 radiates it 12". If using a large cage it may be appropriate to use a 10 IMO. I've used both. I think you should take into account the distance of the basking spot from the uvb light. Just my thoughts...

i use the 10 in one FR and a 5 in the other. i use the 10 beacuse theres black mesh right under the bulb. hope that helps.

10.0 bulbs don't last longer than a 5.0 so you would still need to change it every 6 months. You'll need to keep it up higher off your cage than a 5.0. You say you can't think of a reason not to switch, but I can't really think of a reason that you need to.

Call me crazy, but someone (maybe Carol) posted a link to an experiment they did with the UVB lights and they said that a 10.0 through screen was putting out as much UV as a 5.0 without screen. And since most of us keep out lights on the outside of the cage, I don't know, I can see how it makes sense. Although you can get the same effect using foil to increase reflection, which is what I'm doing.

Call me crazy, but someone (maybe Carol) posted a link to an experiment they did with the UVB lights and they said that a 10.0 through screen was putting out as much UV as a 5.0 without screen. And since most of us keep out lights on the outside of the cage, I don't know, I can see how it makes sense. Although you can get the same effect using foil to increase reflection, which is what I'm doing.

I highly recommend clicking the link in my above post. It breaks down all the bulb types and explains effectiveness, lifespans, ect..

Back
Top Bottom