Rare Chameleons from Madagascar available in 2013

The CITES Animals Committee meets 28 April – 3 May 2014 so maybe there will be some decisions after that.

Carl

Just had a long talk with Olaf Pronk,the new proposed quota's are send to the CITES commission,all species listed as endangered or critically endangered are refused so no minors,globifers ect.
Other species need to pass a special commission so its not sure if 1 specie of the new quota's will be approved

The CITES Animals Committee meets 28 April – 3 May 2014 so maybe there will be some decisions after that.

Carl

I am looking forward to their decision.

Jeremy A. Rich

So as I am trying to understand this whole process better, when the CITES committee decides that a certain species is not eligible for export, lets just say f. minor, does that mean that even CB animals from one country cannot be shipped to another?

Thanks all!!

CB animals can be shipped from country to country. Previous CITES papers for the species are required to get new papers. Its been awhile since I've brought cb animals in so that used to be the requirement.

Carl

Oh so you don't own a cites appendix II species?

All Madagascar chameleon species are listed as CITES Appendix II species with the exception of Brookesia peramata. Brookesia perarmata is the only CITES Appendix I species of Madagascar chameleon. To the best of my knowledge.

Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
So as I am trying to understand this whole process better, when the CITES committee decides that a certain species is not eligible for export, lets just say f. minor, does that mean that even CB animals from one country cannot be shipped to another?

Thanks all!!

What Carl said is correct, though the process differs extremely between the countries. At some places you just can apply for the export papers for a species and you will get them, without any background checks of the animals or any controls. At others, eg Germany, it's more important to be able to trace the animals origin back to the legal ancestors, than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom