Question for Fl owners

chamluvr

The temps here in SW FL are becoming perfect, and will be for about the next 7-8 months. My 5 month old Sambava just LOVES being outside. He gets filtered sun all day and is surrounded by palms and gumbo limbo trees. He is very active all day, and gets visited by the local anoles on the outside of his cage checking out his crickets. But every afternoon about 4 I bring him and his cage back inside. My question is how many of you leave your babies out full time? Our night temps are in the low 70's, and the day temps are in the upper 80's. I know his cage needs to be protected from local wildlife. Just wondering if it is feasible.

As long as the animals outside cant eat him or his cage won't blow over and he can escape, leave him out!

yes it is feasible as I know a couple of people who keeps theirs outdoors all summer long and winter too with the exception of the winter days that drop below 50 or so, then they are brought in. I live in FLA too and my two chams spend most of the day outside. I bring them in my patio at night to sleep cause I worrry about predators at night.

When I leave my outside, I am fortunate enough to have a screen around my pool-deck area. I place the cages under the portions that have shady covering most of the day, but has some time of direct sun (hour and a half at most).

However, like Carol said, should the temperatures drop below 50, you need to bring them in.

I also would like to suggest getting either a dripper or some sort of device to provide PLENTY of water. While I kept mine outside, I would make sure the humidity was high, to ensure that dehydration was not an issue, should the temperatures increase through out the day.

-Chase

Thank you for all your responses. I would definitely bring him in before the night temps drop below 60, although that is very seldom here. Right now he is still in his "baby cage"- 12 x 24 x 24, so it is easy to just move the whole cage in and out. He gets misted every 2 hours. In a few months when he goes to his adult cage it will not be so easy to move around. The trick is finding the right spot as the sun is constanly changing. At that point I will set up his Mistking on the outdoor cage.The FL sun is very intense - what amount is suitable for an adult Panther in a well planted cage with regular misting? Also, at what age are they considered an adult?

I live in Tampa and have an outside enclosure for my male Ambanja. He LOVES the outdoors.

If you keep your Cham outside, watch out for the ants!

They recently found a dead cricket and swarmed inside. Luckily, I found them before they found my Cham, as I'm sure they would have munched on his as well!

I keep Rango outside most every day, but watch him closely!

Gary
Tampa, FL

Back
Top Bottom