Quad vs Double Fixture

Peachypink

Chameleon Enthusiast
So, I emailed Todd from Light Your Reptiles and asked for his suggestion on lighting for when I get the Large Atrium from Dragon Strand. He said that the quad is good but he will be out of it for 4-5 weeks so he suggested the Double with a couple of Jungle Dawn LEDs. He said they are cool because they give the sunbeam through the foliage thing.

For anyone who has the quad or the double, what are your thoughts on them? Would it be better to wait for the quad to come in? Or would I truly be happy with the double and a couple of the LEDs?

FYI my dragonstrand clear atrium took along time to be built before it even shipped I waited awhile. Almost 3 long weeks; I was told they were shorthanded (at the time) mayb they have hired new staff but it could be a long wait once u place the order possibly but mayb they have addressed the issue either way its worth the wait!. Cant help you on the lights but I love my 48 in reptisun LED it looks almost custom made for the enclosure and the LEDs easily light the whole thing! I looked at the fixtures on LYR but evenually settled on the reptisun.

I've been using the quad from LYR for about two months now. Couldn't be happier. Todd said the plants would really take off, and they really have. I like the fact that I can time it so two of the t5's, are only on for a few hours (mid-day). The fixture also creates some heat, which is a nice plus. I also use a exo-terra sunray and a ceramic heater.

FYI my dragonstrand clear atrium took along time to be built before it even shipped I waited awhile. Almost 3 long weeks; I was told they were shorthanded (at the time) mayb they have hired new staff but it could be a long wait once u place the order possibly but mayb they have addressed the issue either way its worth the wait!. Cant help you on the lights but I love my 48 in reptisun LED it looks almost custom made for the enclosure and the LEDs easily light the whole thing! I looked at the fixtures on LYR but evenually settled on the reptisun.
Yes, I've been emailing with Bill at Dragon Strand. He said the larges were being made starting last week but the mediums were not going to be started until mid month. I've been back and forth between which one to get.

As for the lights. Todd was saying the the 36" for the large atrium. I like the idea of the quad but I'm thinking having 2 of the LEDs would be a fun look. Ugh, why is this so hard!!

The double has Arcadia T5 HO 12% UVB bulb and seaworld day bulb. The quad has 2 day bulbs, the uvb bulb, and a plant pro bulb. All linear. No led

My quad has LED's to simulate moonlight. There are I believe 3 blue LED's. I don't use them at this time. Todd has a new fixture supplier now, mine was purchased before he found a new supplier. You'd have to ask him if any of the new fixtures come with the moonlight LED's.

That's the quad I have except with a 12% UVB not 6%

Attachments

• quad_example_6_48__00247.1472786216.386.513.jpg
    quad_example_6_48__00247.1472786216.386.513.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 75
I currently use the quad with the blue LED for "moonlight" and this would be my choice. I did not have a dual with LED's so unfortunately I could not give a thumbs up or down, but I love the flexibility of the quad fixture. I think the moonlight does more for me than my cham, but I still love it.

The double has Arcadia T5 HO 12% UVB bulb and seaworld day bulb. The quad has 2 day bulbs, the uvb bulb, and a plant pro bulb. All linear. No led
I just realized how I sounded. I mean the dual and then 2 separate domes with the LED bulbs in them. He was suggesting this as an option since the quad is out of stock for the next 4-5 weeks.

I currently use the quad with the blue LED for "moonlight" and this would be my choice. I did not have a dual with LED's so unfortunately I could not give a thumbs up or down, but I love the flexibility of the quad fixture. I think the moonlight does more for me than my cham, but I still love it.
I'm confused on the "moonlight" LED. What is that exactly? This isn't something you keep on at night is it? All of the research I have done says any light at night is a no no.

I'm confused on the "moonlight" LED. What is that exactly? This isn't something you keep on at night is it? All of the research I have done says any light at night is a no no.
Not, not on all night. It is something I use a bit before lights on, and again after lights out. It gives a cool glow to the enclosure, but for most of the night it is off and no lights are on at all.

Not, not on all night. It is something I use a bit before lights on, and again after lights out. It gives a cool glow to the enclosure, but for most of the night it is off and no lights are on at all.
Got it. I guess I don't like they they are called "moonlight" LEDs. That is misleading and I would be afraid new keepers would think it's something they keep on all night. This isn't my first rodeo, not even my second, and I didn't get it. I would never have left it on but still.....:confused:

Thanks for the links. I'll read up!!

I just realized how I sounded. I mean the dual and then 2 separate domes with the LED bulbs in them. He was suggesting this as an option since the quad is out of stock for the next 4-5 weeks.
I actually need 1 more quad light, a 36in of course the one that's out of stock. I'd personally wait that's what I'm doing

Ha, not that crazy :D. I have 3 timers for the quad fixture, one for the UVB and one 6500k, one for the other 6500k and plant pro, and one for the moonlight. I have two dome basking lights each on a timer. Add the MistKing timer and that makes 6 total in two power strips. Hope this helps :).

That's quite a schedule @Decadancin. Now I feel like a bad cham mom for doing 12 hours on 12 hours off. Seems so inadequate compared to that.
Probably just as good, though :D. After all my thought and effort, Zaphod goes to bed whenever he wants :confused:. I do like having two basking areas though. Allows for more choices and temperature zones. It really helps the enclosure to dry out for the night too.

Back
Top Bottom