pothos cuttings.

Discussion in 'Enclosures And Supplies' started by Oski, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Oski

Oski
    Expand Collapse

Hi:)
    Does anyone know the best way to take cuttings from a devils Ivy/ pothos,
    Mine are growing well and would like to split them, but unsure how,

Thanks

2. bradley

bradley
    Expand Collapse

I take the cutting I want and put it in water for about 2 weeks. Rootrs then from and it can be planted in soil and treated like a normal plant. I have just taken 3 cuttings from mine!

3. Oski

Oski
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Brad:), do you just cut a bit off. then put that into water,

4. Hoj

Hoj
    Expand Collapse
    Friendly Grasshopper

yep agreed i just cut them down pretty far. if you can see a root nub and cut it with that on the cutting it will root alot faster. the root nub useually starts on the vine where the leaf stalks shoot off. ( if that makes sence )
    i useually take a vine with about three healthy leaf shoots and also put in a glass of water untill i see some nice white roots, them straight into soil..
    just a tip for you:
    if you notice that you pthos is growing more like a vine and you want it more bushy, you can take one of the longer vines and turn it around back into the soil, and bury it a little where a root nub can re-root and it will start again there.

jmo
    hoj

K9Luvn likes this.
  5. gerhartrx

gerhartrx
    Expand Collapse

add some rooting solution to the water.

If you want you can also add rooting solution which will make it root faster and stronger.

6. lisa h

lisa h
    Expand Collapse

I skip the water part -- I cut off a piece and stick it in the soil where I want it to grow. I've never had a failure yet. Anything more complicated and I'd mess it up. I swear I can kill a plant just by thinking about it LOL

7. ShoniNikki

ShoniNikki
    Expand Collapse

I do mine this same way except before putting into the soil I add re rooting dust :) then mist 2-3 times a day :)

8. sandrachameleon

sandrachameleon
    Expand Collapse
    Chameleon Enthusiast

Its hard to do wrong. They are very fault tolerant :)
    I use scissors to cut pieces off, usually aiming for mid-way between two leaf nodes. Helps if the cutting is about 6 leaves long (if longer you could loose a few leaves before the new roots develop). Put the cut end of the cutting into a jar of water. wait. once roots form, transfer to soil. Or not - i have some growing only in water for months and month. You can also put the cutting directly into soil, so long as the soil is kept damp.

9. Oski

Oski
    Expand Collapse

10. lisa h

lisa h
    Expand Collapse

Well that's just fancy. Mine would surely die if I gave them all that attention ;)

11. SliK JiM

SliK JiM
    Expand Collapse

I think I'll have to give this a try tomorrow! :D

12. KarmaChameleon1337

KarmaChameleon1337
    Expand Collapse

Any plant I touch dies. I don't know how I've managed to keep my current plants alive so long... as a kid I once tried to grow a tomatoe plant, it grew fully with just the rain and me forgetting about it, a deer came and ate my tomatoes, but the second I actually tried to pick a tomatoe myself, the next day it started dying.

13. ChromaChameleons

ChromaChameleons
    Expand Collapse

Any advice in propagating Umbrella ( schefflera Abricola) cuttings? I get about 40% success with them.

Hoj likes this.
  14. sandrachameleon

sandrachameleon
    Expand Collapse
    Chameleon Enthusiast

they do better if the cuttings are from older stems, and if you tent the cuttings to keep humid.

ChromaChameleons likes this.
  15. SliK JiM

SliK JiM
    Expand Collapse

Where abouts do i want to be taking my cutting from? Just below the node?

16. AZJ0SH

AZJ0SH
    Expand Collapse

Pretty much anywhere will work from what I have found, I just cut a piece off and put it in water for 2-3 weeks.

17. SliK JiM

SliK JiM
    Expand Collapse

Well, I thought I'd dig this thread up to say that I have actually been successful! Never thought I would be but it is really simple as you all said! My first cutting is sitting comfortably in a pot growing well with another 3 on the way!

Cheers all!

Hoj likes this.
  18. maxttu

maxttu
    Expand Collapse

Yo! Can we get some photos of these cuttings? I mean, do I cut a leaf off or what? :confused: Please and thanks! :D

19. PREACHAP

PREACHAP
    Expand Collapse

anything i was gonna say has been said, cut clones, root solution and so on, my regular pothos vines out and roots itself sometimes i'll just cut 1 of those and plant it elsewhere,

20. SliK JiM

SliK JiM
    Expand Collapse

On this picture (of my cutting growing) I've put the line where I sort of cut the original:

[​IMG]

Nothing to it really, just bang it in water for a while and then into soil/compost!