Possibly Semi-Free Ranging Reptar

cantgetagoodsn

Avid Member
I have had Reptar for about 6 weeks now. He seems to be doing much much better thanks to this forum. But, I want to make his living environment even better. This is where the idea of free-ranging comes in. Because of where I live, college apartment, I can't set up a 100% free range.

I am thinking about removing the door to his cage and some sort of long plant to lead into a larger tree. I will have the mistking mist inside the cage and leave the UVB inside. I may put in another UVB and basking light outside, but then the only reason why he would go in his cage would be for food and water. I just don't want him to learn to hate his cage so much he doesn't get his proper needs...

What do you guys think?

P.S. I left the cage open to see his reaction. He looked very confused at first, but ended up climbing to the top of the cage under the UVB and basking light. I moved the light because I didnt want him to burn himself. I think he's following it now, very very slowly, but surely...

Attachments

• Pastebot 2010-10-02 13.11.05 PM.jpg
    Pastebot 2010-10-02 13.11.05 PM.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 176
Well deffinitely don't keep the uvb and basking bulb on top of the cage. Get a flourescent light fixture that hangs off a ceiling and hqng it over the cage, do this also with the basking light so he can't get to either.

You can't semi free range... if the animal wants to be out, he'll be out, and won't want to go back. so if you plan to free range to any capacity you need to make two setups... an area where he can free range with lights, and all and still have lights for his cage. BUT you need to make it so he can't get hurt by any of the lights for either setup.

Does it really make any sense to let a cham out of a micro habitat where all his needs are met, UVB, heat, humidity, basking area.... and then to wander around a room with known of those things for a day or parts of a day?

There is this confusion between chams going to bask in UVB and then wander the forest in the wild... and translating that into free range habitat, where natural sunlight isn't used. chams can wander in and out of the sun light in the wild which has LOTS of UVB for them. tube lamps don't provide the same amount of UVB. The reason we can get away with this in cages is that the cham is subjected to low amounts of UVB for most of the day... which averages out their 'needs'.

If your gonna let a cham out of the cage to wander around, you need to provide all the same necessities your cage provides. food, water, light, heat, hiding places and things to climb on. You also need to make the house cham proof... cover areas he can crawl into, like fish tanks. block nooks and crannies the cham can crawl into... make people aware a live lizard is wandering about....

free ranging isn't as simple as the people who do it make it out to be..... most tips you hear on the site from people are all based off of using a cage where the habitat is more closely monitored and controlled. don't be fooled by the kind intentions.

They don't stay on their designated area. It seems logical that they would love their tree, vine-like bridge to another tree, and just stay in the area created for them but they don't. They're explorers. Its like asking a kitten to stay on the floor, not gonna happen. If you can think of all the ways a kitten can get up off the ground that's how a chameleon gets down onto it. They're crazy, hanging upside down by their tails, reaching and stretching longer than you thought they could possibly reach, taking daring stretch-reaches to other objects, etc.

He wont go back for water, you have to bring the water (misting) to him. Unlike cats and dogs they don't seem to "learn" to go back home for their needs. (at least mine doesn't so I'm assuming others don't either)

He wont know uvb-time is important. I also tried feeding mine in the same location every time and misting that location every time to teach him where to go, ya it doesn't happen. They go where they want to go, however they can get there. Be very careful with other people living in the house.

Ok I'm done rambling, just be super careful if you are going to attempt this. At the very least come up with a schedule in which you will return him for his needs. Expect him to put up a fight when you try to stick him in the cage even with the door open, once out they want OUT. :)

They're crazy, hanging upside down by their tails, reaching and stretching longer than you thought they could possibly reach, taking daring stretch-reaches to other objects, etc.

lol when I got my first cham i thought I was cleaver by hanging a pothos in the living room and placing the cham into it. The little bugger climbed down the longest vine of the pothos, still 3-4' off the ground and he lowered himself feet reaching out, hanging by his tail and then did a belly flop to the ground. :eek: I watched him do the entire thing :rolleyes: Once on the ground he looked around like 'ok, what to climb next?' :cool:

Haha that's awesome. What I was thinking of doing is placing a tree next to his cage, and when I am home in my room I would open the door and allow him to crawl onto the tree... At least for a little while. Then I'd put him back in his cage after a while. It wouldnt be completely free range, but it would at least let him out of his cage.

I would also make my room chameleon safe... but I would only let him out when I am able to watch him. I wouldn't leave him out during school etc...

Remember what I said about the lights. Not only do they need the light... but it is a good way of keeping them in the 'free range'. If the lighting is right he won't feel a need to leave.

Back
Top Bottom