Plant light

emerik

Hey, guys. I recently made a new cage for my veiled buddy Grumpy and decided to put a tree-like plant. Since I live in China most of the suitable plants I found on the internet were not available here so i ended up buying a China doll, which looked great at the market but as soon as I brought it home it started losing leaves. I replanted it, moved it to the cage and watered it hoping that it's going to get all fresh and nice but that didn't happen. I read that change of environment and insufficient light might be some of the reasons for this so naturally i had to buy additional light source but got all confused with those different types of light.What kind of light should I get? People recommend fluorescent or LED. There're plenty of LED-based lights here on the market, when it comes to lamps for home plants all i see are purple-blue LED lamps, but i can't really imagine illuminating my cham cage in purple, so any suggestions? :eek:

Generally,you can use a tube light or florescent lamp rated in the 6500 color temp spectrum either a t8 or t5s. They give off a good visible light for our eyes,but also the waves the plants need. My hibiscus just bloomed under a 6500 and uvb 6% t5 fixture .

Thanks for the reply. The thing is that I made the cage too tall,so the tree is tall as well and i'm afraid that if i put the light on top it's not going to be enough to illuminate the bottom parts, so I was thinking of putting the plant lamp on the side of the cage BUT the net on the sides is plastic so it's going to get melted. That;s why i was thinking of LED alternative to the fluorescent light. And I'm saying all that assuming that the plant is not going to be dead by the time i get the light haha
And another question- what are those T5,T8 numbers?

I don't remember where I read this but putting the lights anywhere on the sides of an enclosure is not a good idea because it pretty much forces your Cham to look into the lights constantly.

I may be wrong but I swear I remember reading that and it make sense.

T5's are higher output and thinner. T8's are lower output than T5's and bigger.

Here is picture, you may have to copy and paste the link: http://www.tropicalfishsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/t5-t8.jpg

Leds have the ability to punch straight down and further as they are a focused beam of light than the broad output of a florescent light. Light your reptiles has a good plant type Led bulb.

Thank you guys for the replies. :eek:
So, as recommended I'll be putting the light on top so it wouldn't matter whether it's led or fluorescent, which one will be better, and what about those red-blue LED lamps i mentioned before, and about led in general?

I don't remember where I read this but putting the lights anywhere on the sides of an enclosure is not a good idea because it pretty much forces your Cham to look into the lights constantly.

I may be wrong but I swear I remember reading that and it make sense.

T5's are higher output and thinner. T8's are lower output than T5's and bigger.

Here is picture, you may have to copy and paste the link: http://www.tropicalfishsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/t5-t8.jpg

Yes. you are right - Thank you for mentioning this...
:D
Keep lights overhead-- especially ones that emit UVB--
we don't need that "shooting" into their eye-balls.:eek:

Now, even though LEDs do NOT give off usable UVB,
they still are very glaring to be placed at eye level.

Please keep them overhead.:D

Cheers!

An Arcadia Jungle Dawn LED light is what you want.

Thank you JamesBryan!

Yes, Jungle Dawn LEDs® are developed to give great light and GROW plants.

I hesitate to show this one ...
it is a brand new product for plants.

BUT it went viral....
and then they ALL sold out in just a few days.
We apologize.
Had no idea they would go off the hook like that.
:eek:

But more are on order and due in MID Oct.:D

It's the new 40w 93+ CRI Mega Jungle Dawn Spot.
and...
they are unlike anything out there.
These spots have a micro computer fan inside them to cool the high power diodes!

You can use them in a small dome light. Just please do not set them down flush on a solid surface.
You can set them on a screen (cage)

It is like having a mini skylight over the cage!

Made with Genuine CREE 93+ CRI 6.5 & 5.5 mixed Kelvin diodes for fullest natural spectrum.

Cheers
Todd

Attachments

• 40w Jungle Dawn LED.jpg
    40w Jungle Dawn LED.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 40w spot in dome.jpg
    40w spot in dome.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 360
No worries!

Do you happen to know the life rating of the Jungle Dawns?

I think some LEDs last 2 million hours, which would be crazy and real value for money!

The LED diodes themselves are rated at 40 o 50K hours.

But that is not the whole story. :eek:
It is usually the electronics package that goes in cheap LEDS.. ..
way before the diodes themselves start to burn out.

Anyway, to make a long story short...
Jungle Dawns ® at warrantied for one year and they last on average 4- 5 years. I have a few of the original ones that are almost 5 years old and still working strong.

The trick with ANY LED product, not just Jungle Dawn® is the protect from getting too hot or excess heat around them.

ie. example:
do NOT put any LED right smack dab next to a CHE or 75 - 150w spotlight bulb. keep the distance,
or do not put in a totally enclosed fixture. use common sense to keep LEDs away from lots of heat or direct water contact. :)

Cheers
Thank you.
Todd.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom