plamt grow light question?

RealIzeRecognIze

Are the 6500 k grow lights not the same as 12% t5 Arcadia ? If not what all do I need for a low price to get my plants growing for a 4 foot cage? And would my 12% bulb along with this grow light be too much UV b?

I got an 18" enclosure and grow bulb from Home Depot. Wasn't too expensive and I just put some aluminum foil for a reflector.

But what is any different of a "grow light" than a 12 % t5 fixture and lamp? Doesn't 12% mean 12000 lumens. Where members on her with 6500 k lumens grow light would be considered 6% uvb? I'm no light expert so this^ may mean nothing of what I've said lol. I'm just trying to understand the difference.

UVB is a wavelength of light that is naturally produced by the sun. I'm pretty sure it is what is responsible for sunburn. Normal lightbulbs do not produce UVB wavelengths, special bulbs are required (such as the Arcadia bulbs.) The 6% and 12% refer to the amount of UVB produced.

The 6500k, 3000k, 12000k, etc refers to the light's "color temperature". What that basically means is what the light will look like. Low color temperatures (2700k, 3000k) will produce a warm, homely glow and I've read it promotes budding and flowering in plants. 6500k is the color temperature of natural daylight (around 2pm) and is what seems to be most responsible for plant growth. Higher color temperature numbers (10000k) will be a blue light like.

The color temperature outside changes as the day progresses, just before dawn the color temperature is high with bluish purple lighting. As the sun rises the color temperature shifts very low into the reds and slowly climbs its way back up into the middle of the spectrum around 6500k, at which point it slowly falls back down into the oranges and reds as the sun sets and finally back up into the blues and purples once the sun has gone down.

And I'm assuming two uvbs wont be too much? 12% t5 and 6500k growlight. Unless most people just run a grow light for their chams?

The grow light shouldn't produce any UVB unless it specifically states it does, plants don't use UVB that I know of. Grow lights, to my knowledge, aren't anything but a 6500k color temperature producing light bulb marketed as such for easy identification. The Arcadia UVB are the same 6500k color temperature and will help your plants as much as any other 6500k light. The chameleon is what needs the UVB to process calcium but too much UVB can and will kill your chameleon.

UVB is a wavelength of light that is naturally produced by the sun. I'm pretty sure it is what is responsible for sunburn. Normal lightbulbs do not produce UVB wavelengths, special bulbs are required (such as the Arcadia bulbs.) The 6% and 12% refer to the amount of UVB produced.

The 6500k, 3000k, 12000k, etc refers to the light's "color temperature". What that basically means is what the light will look like. Low color temperatures (2700k, 3000k) will produce a warm, homely glow and I've read it promotes budding and flowering in plants. 6500k is the color temperature of natural daylight (around 2pm) and is what seems to be most responsible for plant growth. Higher color temperature numbers (10000k) will be a blue light like.

The color temperature outside changes as the day progresses, just before dawn the color temperature is high with bluish purple lighting. As the sun rises the color temperature shifts very low into the reds and slowly climbs its way back up into the middle of the spectrum around 6500k, at which point it slowly falls back down into the oranges and reds as the sun sets and finally back up into the blues and purples once the sun has gone down.

well said Shampoo!
:)

Alright thanks for the replies and info! So I should get a 6500k grow light if I want optimum plant growth is what I'm getting out of this? Thanks a lot!

Damn man you nailed it! Great answer...:D

Back
Top Bottom