pinkie mice?

Jbot

my veiled has been getting crickets and superworms mostly but i did feed him a pinkie today. it took him a bit to recognize it as food but he did finally eat it.

anyone else feed pinkies to their chams?

i got mine to eat a pinkie just yesterday for the first time actually. sure seemed to fill her up, she hardly even ate any crickets today.

as long as the diameter isnt bigger then the space between their eyes then its ok, or at least thats what ive read but keep in mind im a rookie.

I feed my veiled's pinkies 1x/mo. They love them. Yes, it took them a bit to decide that it was food.

lucky, mine had a mess fetish, would chew the pinky till blood dripped down his lips then swallowed, kinda gross.

Someone told me to get my leos to eat it i should wiggle it. I don't think I can get live pinkie mice here in the U.K

my pinkie was dead... i also dont think my local pet store has live pinkies.

i was suggested to grab it by the tail with tweezers and wiggle it.

but that didnt work... anyway, i gave it to my cham about 5 hrs after the lights turned on, and it hadnt eaten at all that day. wiggling it didnt work but when i laid it down on one of the leaves, well, that worked.

I feed Kong (1.5yr old male veiled) a pinkie every now and then. he'll eat it right outa my hand. his first one took so long for him to warm up to it and figure out what it was doing in his cage.

its not really a good idea to feed them pinkies, chameleons dont have the digestive systems for them. you can, i wouldnt recommend it but they will live longer if you dont.

its not really a good idea to feed them pinkies, chameleons dont have the digestive systems for them. you can, i wouldnt recommend it but they will live longer if you dont.

not trying to be an arrogant _____ but thats not true.. in the wild they eat plenty baby birds, small lizards other vertebrates..:eek:

they do have digestive system for them.
Like Foreverendeavor said, in the wild, chameleon do occasionally eat small vertebrates such as small birds, lizards, and so on.
Now, with that being said, it's not a good practice to feed them pinkies too often.
But, feeding them once a month or 2 months are not excessive imho.
There has been some debates that eating small vertebrates are one of the way how chameleon obtained retinol (preformed vit A) in their diets.

Check Dr. Ferguson's answer to #7:
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/03/chat-with-dr-gary-w-ferguson.html

yeah, you could eat a hamburger every meal if you wanted to. doesnt mean that its good for you. but hey, u know more then me ive only had chameleons for 13 years. feed them what you want, i was just offering my advice.

Back
Top Bottom