Parsonii breeding

I wasn't allowed yet to post in the Parsonii part since i am pretty new here, so that why i do it here.

I read in that part, that people might not want to share data, i thinks thats not the case, there actually are only a few breeders, thats just why theres not much info, but certainly there are breeders.

To share some data
1)Problem i had last year males not wanting to mate (i know more people had that), i kept them colder last winter 12 degrees celsius for months, they get brown almost black coloured then, looks strange to do whit such an precious animal but it worked, they breeded much better this year.

2) One thing which sounds strange from general chameleon husbandry but which is really important looking to the people who have succes with Parsonii is keeping males and females together for months at least spring till succesfull mating.
Just introducing the female to the male for a day or two will mostly not work.
They have shy sexlives and the ritual takes weeks till the male mounts.
After succesfull mounting, my males stopped trying to mount (as is not with other species)

I am partially lucky i now have 50 eggs incubating since a few weeks from my first 2 females, thought the bad part 1 died, she developed pseudomonas 2 months after mating and made her get to weak.
A friend of mine also has 30 eggs from the mating with one of my males.

3) Moulding eggs
Many clutches of Parsons (maybe alomost all?) after few weeks mould start to develop on the eggs. Also on these 3 clutches that starts happening. In general ofcourse this feels bad, but i do know that even from Parsonii eggs which had mould appearing on, even succesfull hatching has occured!

Whit experimenting i found that the mould goes away by putting the eggs under the vermiculti instead of partially open to the air. (In general incubating under vermiculite i found to be much better, then half burried)

Any tips (or hypothesis) on this matter are very welcome...

Kind regards,
Mario

Welcome Mario! Where are you from? I guess Italy, but not sure.
I am not a parsonii keeper, just like to read about them. Once maybe im gonna have one... :) Can you post some pictures here please! :)

Greetings

Ricardo

I am from The Netherlands, though a few generations ago i had a grant parent from Italy from my mothers roots.

I have some pics, but are on my other PC not connected to the internet in my other house. I'll post them later.

3) Moulding eggs
Many clutches of Parsons (maybe alomost all?) after few weeks mould start to develop on the eggs. Also on these 3 clutches that starts happening. In general ofcourse this feels bad, but i do know that even from Parsonii eggs which had mould appearing on, even succesfull hatching has occured!

Whit experimenting i found that the mould goes away by putting the eggs under the vermiculti instead of partially open to the air. (In general incubating under vermiculite i found to be much better, then half burried)

Any tips (or hypothesis) on this matter are very welcome...

Kind regards,
Mario

I think that is a great idea! I have done it many times! I have place the eggs under the incubation media many times to control mold! It also feels mor natural to me as they WOULD normally be under the substrate. However you have to be sure the incubation media isnt to wett when doing this because there is a greater possibilty of "Drowning" the eggs when placing them under the media. I also excavate them near the hatch date like a month or so before, although I did have one clutch of kinyongia hatch under the vermiculite and dig there way out and didnt lose one of them!

Do you plan on testing various temperature for incubation? Since you have access to so many eggs (for Parsonii), will you try different winter drops in temperature?

Have you ever read the C.I.N's information on Parson's chameleons?
Are the eggs oval like other chameleon eggs?

@Morpheon
The majority i will incubate with a diapause temperature of 13-14 degrees, i have understood that the results are better then with 17-18.
I also am doing a few at 8 degrees just to test, since my frigidair works on that and gave good results for the Minors.

@Kinyonga
Can you give me the link to the article?
They are oval just like with other species.
One difference is the outhershell, it is thicker then i have ever seen before.
With Calyptratus/montium/Fischerii/Multi and other species outher shells are typically thin.
For Furcifer species Lateralis/Pardalis the outher shell is generally thicker, the Parson eggs are even more thicker.

ive had to take numerous classes on mold for my current job.

SO first off if mold spores cannot settle on an object they cannot start growing, that is why burying them will work better, another solution is to build an incubation box with a small fan blowing over the eggs this will stop mold from settling/growing .. air has to be stagnant for mold to settle...

granted i don't know if blowing air over eggs would be bad? maybe if it was slightly warmed..but i think your idea of burying them may be slightly better.

Mario - Thanks for posting your experiences. Its nice to see people sharing this type of information.

Benny - I have the articles, I just need to find time to scan them. Email me a list of the articles you're looking for and I'll put it on my to do list.

Chris

Hi Sang,

Thanks for the idea of blowing air over them, I'll try that out on a part of the next clutch if my 3rd is going to lay, Expect that somewhere in January, but i am not sure yet she has eggs inside.

Kind regards,
Mario

once again i would hate to see you test that theory on parsonii eggs lol... so perhaps make sure the air is still humid/warm.... all i can really recommend.

Hey Mario,

Good to see you here!
Nice to read this information about parson's!
I hope we can get some of our old fashion kind of discussions here! I've missed that the last years...

Steven

caution on blowing air over the eggs- watch them closely for several hours after starting your air flow- I'm pretty sure I ruined some good iguana eggs once that way...

caution on blowing air over the eggs- watch them closely for several hours after starting your air flow- I'm pretty sure I ruined some good iguana eggs once that way...

as long as is done within an enclosed container you will have no issue, as the temp and humidity will be maintained as long as you dont' direct the fan directly at the eggs

Back
Top Bottom