Parasites question

I have been breeding chameleons for 10 years and I've lost quite a few to parasites as they are very common in reptiles. I have two de wormers that I use:
Fenbendazole
Metronidazole
My vet wants me to use them every 6 months just to stay on the safe side. I did lose a couple of very large males after deworming them so my question is if they really are safe to use. I'm aware that Metronidazole is toxic if use in higher dosages and maybe thats what happened. I know that Fenbendazole is suppose to be quite safe which makes me feel much better. I find the most common parasites that I see when I lose a chameleon are the long, yellow worms which I tried to identify. If I can treat them with Fenbendazole than I don't want to use Metronidazole. If anyone knows any information regarding parasites, that would be much appreciated. Thank you

Try emailing here at the University of Guelph. I am a student here and just recently like as of two days ago found out they do all kinds of herp research. I am actually getting my chams fecal tested and have a check-up done once it gets a little warmer.

[email protected]
Hugues Beaufrère, Dr.Med.Vet., PhD
Diplomate ABVP (Avian), ECZM (Avian)
Service Chief, Avian and Exotic Service
Health Sciences Centre
Ontario Veterinary College
University of Guelph, ON, Canada

I wouldn't personally shotgun meds in an otherwise healthy chameleon...

Learning to do fecals is not too complicated and has saved me tons of dough in the time.I've been doing it. If you have something you think might be treatable but not sure just send it to your vet for a second, professional opinion.

Alex

Back
Top Bottom