Panther Hatchlings

I currently have 9 panther hatchlings in a chameleon cage with a plant and a daylight. I'm currently feeding them 1 week old crickets inside the cage because i noticed that's the not place some of them eat. I tried feeding them in a container but they don't seem interested. However, i don't think they are all eating right because i just lost 2. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or am i doing something wrong?
Thanks!

What do you mean daylight?? What's the temperature in the cage?
Please post photos of your cages and of the hatchlings.
Answer the questions in the how to as for help thread at the top of the health forum.

The vitality and health of neonates has to do with the temps the eggs were incubated and the health of the dam before she laid the eggs. If either of these are off the vigor of the babies can be compromised. And of course neonates are fragile under the best of circumstances. We need much more information from you to try and figure out what the issues are you're experiencing: diet, temps, humidity, gut loading, pics, etc.

We have hatchlings in a 16x16x20 zoo med reptibreeze open air screen cage with a zoo med peptisun 5.0 uvb lamp that is on from 7am to 7pm. We have a photos plant inside that we spray with water about 4-5 times a day and hatchlings seem to drink water from leaves. Room temp is always 70 to 75°F. The cage is located in our room and we have it on the floor. We are feeding them 1 week old crickets and some seem to be eating fine. Their fecal is white in color.

Attachments

• IMG_3272.JPG
    IMG_3272.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3279.JPG
    IMG_3279.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3280.JPG
    IMG_3280.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 150
The vitality and health of neonates has to do with the temps the eggs were incubated and the health of the dam before she laid the eggs. If either of these are off the vigor of the babies can be compromised. And of course neonates are fragile under the best of circumstances. We need much more information from you to try and figure out what the issues are you're experiencing: diet, temps, humidity, gut loading, pics, etc.
see below for additional information

I would say they need a warm spot. 80°-85°, someplace they can move in and out of at their leisure.

There should be a brown part (feces) and a white part (urates) when they defecate.
The basking area should be in the low 80's.
Did you wash the insecticides/fertilizers off both sides oif the leaves of the plant?
The one in the middle photo doesn't look well...I'd move it to a separate cage.

I had an issue with my panther hatchling sleeping during the day, do any of yours do this? if so I was told by @Andee to turn off the uvb lights and see if that makes them any better because the light may be too intense for their little eyes

I agree with @kinyonga . The one in the middle picture looks odd. Maybe it's just a bad picture, but my first impression was that it looks cold. The droplets of water on the leaves look pretty huge for tiny neonates. I would get a mister with a finer spray. They could be drowning themselves in those huge water drops. Also, you definitely want to get them up off the floor. They are arboreal, which means living in the trees, up high. Being on the floor is not only stressful, it's a lot more drafty than you realize. Make sure you get them a basking area ASAP. I would recommend maybe start with a 75w incandescent bulb. (You don't want to cook them!) You can always increase it if needed. Please fill out the "help" form so we can all understand their exact conditions and better help you. Best of luck! They are REALLY ADORABLE!!

Back
Top Bottom