Padre (my Parsonii) Needs Your Thoughts and Prayers

I'm sorry to hear about Padre's mouth problem, he is such a wonderful cham.
But he is strong and I'm sure his surgery will be a success.
I guess you will have to feed him soft foods for a while.

What could have caused that??

I am thinking a dubia roach!? you know how strong they get when full grown.

I think I will take your advise and inspect my boys more often and try to avoid those bigger roaches.
Some of those super worms can really bite too! I've been bitten several times and they are very strong.
Have only used those once, didnt like them, had to cut their heads off.

Sometimes, my crickets bite me too, and they are also strong (its the cricket crack and bug burger they eat!!) but not strong enough to do that kind of damage.

I will be thinking about you and Padre tomorrow and will check this thread for the latest.

I dont think you get locusts over there but my first veiled went to sleep with a large winger in his mouth. By the time i found it it had eaten through the roof of his mouth. Never used wingers again. My thoughts are with you and your little man.

Sorry to hear of the mouth problems of your Padre, but he looks extremely hardy and I'm certain he'll be fine in the long run! Will keep checking to see how his surgery goes. Best of luck to you all!

:( I am very sorry to hear about Padre. I hope all goes well. I know he has one of the best parents he could have and am sure that if anything can go well it will under your care and attention. Best of luck to your whole family!

chris

Jann, I'm so sorry. The old "when it rains it pours" thing is true, it always seems that problems come in clutches. I will be thinking about you and Padre.

I will be sure to keep you both in my thoughts over the next while! It's always incredibly hard when our beloved family members aren't well :(

Having spent years working in both animal rescue and health care I truly believe that the lucky ones find their way to people who are strong enough and care enough to make the hard choices on their behalf. I can tell you from seeing your posts over the past months all of your pets hit the jackpot when they made it into your family!

Good luck tomorrow and I will look forward to hearing about Padre's speedy recovery :)

I'm sorry to hear about Padre's mouth problem, he is such a wonderful cham.
But he is strong and I'm sure his surgery will be a success.
I guess you will have to feed him soft foods for a while.

What could have caused that??

I am thinking a dubia roach!? you know how strong they get when full grown.

I think I will take your advise and inspect my boys more often and try to avoid those bigger roaches.
Some of those super worms can really bite too! I've been bitten several times and they are very strong.
Have only used those once, didnt like them, had to cut their heads off.

Sometimes, my crickets bite me too, and they are also strong (its the cricket crack and bug burger they eat!!) but not strong enough to do that kind of damage.

I will be thinking about you and Padre tomorrow and will check this thread for the latest.

Now I'm worried to get my dubia.! That's so sad and I'd never be able to check Zillas mouth.

Thank you all so much.

Dr. Alfonso nor Dr. Mader have said anything about what might have caused it, at least not yet. What do you think might have cause this?

It was way back in 1994. I had a female parsonii with nearly the same looking type of oral injury, however the laceration did not penetrate into another area like yours. Simply was not as deep as yours.Great pictures by the way.

In my case the wound was cleaned twice a day and the animal placed on a sulfa medication ( I was very against using heavy meds on my parsons back then)

The cause of the injury was the sharp legs of a large grasshopper. Since then I have caused great pain to thousands of the bugs before feeding them to my animals by removing their legs first. In looking at the edges, the direction of the laceration, coloration of tissues, and the general area it is in I'd hazard an educated guess it is from something he ate.

I would say this, if that wound can be closed and some simple antibiotics given when combined with a stable habitat and experienced keeper he should have better than average chances to survive. You happen to have excellent vets. Combined with his good body weight and your ability to care for him you are in good shape. The real question for your vets is if they need to medically close that hole or if he will as an animal in the wild might do, heal with minimal intervention. Antibiotics are warranted regardless of which direction they decide on.

In my female's case, the oral wound closed in less than 14 days. She didn't eat for the first 4 but drank her normal amounts. It was a bad looking wound and had many of the characteristics yours has.

Keep us all updated. Looks like you have a lot of support here.

Jann I'm so sorry that you seem to be having such a string of bad luck. You are an amazing keeper, both of chams, as well as other species, so please don't be hard on yourself. If you start thinking that you aren't cut out for keeping chams, well, the rest of us might as well throw in the towel as well. This is just a speed bump, and while I'm no vet, I tend to agree that it's caused by a feeder. My thoughts will be with you tomorrow, and if there's anything I can do, please don't hesitate to let me know. :eek:

Thank you so much for all the thoughts, prayers and concerns. I'm here in Marathon now with Padre. We will be at Dr. Mader's at 7:45 in the morning. Please keep my sweet boy in you thoughts and prayers.

i will jann make sure you keep us posted i will be on here all morning waiting to hear some new on him. good luck hopefully you will get some answers. so everyone can learn from this. Again good luck hun. I will be thinking of you guys
:D

Hi Jann,

Just saw this thread and wanted to wish you luck. Padre is a strong, good sized, healthy animal, so I think he has a good shot at fighting this off with your and Dr. Mader's help. I'm sure Dr. Mader will do everything he can.

Best of luck!

Chris

hi jann. so sorry to hear about padre. i hope everything goes well and i'll keep him and you in my prayers. keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom