Official Enclosure Picture Thread #2 - post your pics!

image.jpg
image.jpeg
Here is my setup.... Dimensions are 36" across and 32" front to back, height is 6' total with 4' of cage and 2' legs. All plants are real except the one hanging from the ceiling of each as that is where the mister comes through. I have two female veileds, two months old. I will be adding a laying box to each cage once they get a little older.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 216
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 199
New Dragonstrand Atrium clearside!
I am palanning to buy the atrium this Christmas! Would it be ok to tell me how was it packages during shipping? Height x length x width? I live in the Philippines so need to plan my expenses to the dime! Thanks!

View attachment 165942 View attachment 165943 Here is my setup.... Dimensions are 36" across and 32" front to back, height is 6' total with 4' of cage and 2' legs. All plants are real except the one hanging from the ceiling of each as that is where the mister comes through. I have two female veileds, two months old. I will be adding a laying box to each cage once they get a little older.

I love the finished, clean look of your cages. You will need LOTS more foliage to make the chameleons feel secure, provide humidity, provide drinking sites, and complete the look, but nice build!

One big plant in each enclosure would be a good addition. This would allow for nice cover and give time to the other plants. I picked up a Hibiscus this weekend, just over 4 feet tall and it was only $15(canadian).

This was not a cage built by me, but it was given to me. My only work on it has been screening half the roof, and all the plants. There is still a lot of changes I need to make (bigger door for one, I have no idea what this guy was thinking.) but it works in the mean time. Plants are a dwarf umbrella tree, an unknown shrubby tree, a huge pothos, an arrowhead vine, an unknown vine species, and multiple tillies. It is housing a WC male Jackson.

Attachments

• 20160909_160240.jpg
    20160909_160240.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 274
  • 20160909_160345.jpg
    20160909_160345.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 20160909_160356.jpg
    20160909_160356.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 258
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello everyone, I'm Julio and yesterday I picked up an 8 month old Veiled Cham. He seems to be in good health, he was drinking water from a dripper when I picked him up from the shop. I have not seen him approach my dripper yet, however my enclosure (4' x 20" diameter) is about 5-6 times bigger than what he was in at the shop.

I have 3 plastic amapolla vines and a natural Gardenia as a small bush/tree. He has plenty of sticks of all sizes in there to bask n climb around to get close to the dripper on the lid which drips on to the amapollae and the gardenia. I have the enclosure sitting on top of a wire container with a plastic plant dish to catch water and waste, also newspapers under the dish for splash.

For heat I have an incandecent 60w house bulb because my room is pretty hot and humid already. For UVB I have the exo terra 5.0. The highest perch to the bulbs is about 8". Temps around basking branches get to about 92* middle of enclosure about 80* and the bottom around 74*. He has been mostly using the wire of the enclosure to get around which makes me a bit uneasy because he seems to struggle after a trip around the cage. His joints look fine, and his bones very sturdy.

Diet has been loaded crickets , romaine lettuce, and he took a leaf off the Gardenia. Suggestions?

I am new to reptiles and a life long animal lover so I want to do my best to care for this lil guy. If anyone can give me any tips for dripping or can see something wrong with the enclosure, all critizism is welcome.
5AmX81.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
l8OY9d.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 166418 View attachment 166420 View attachment 166421 View attachment 166422 Hello everyone, I'm Julio and yesterday I picked up an 8 month old Veiled Cham. He seems to be in good health, he was drinking water from a dripper when I picked him up from the shop. I have not seen him approach my dripper yet, however my enclosure (4' x 20" diameter) is about 5-6 times bigger than what he was in at the shop.

I have 3 plastic amapolla vines and a natural Gardenia as a small bush/tree. He has plenty of sticks of all sizes in there to bask n climb around to get close to the dripper on the lid which drips on to the amapollae and the gardenia. I have the enclosure sitting on top of a wire container with a plastic plant dish to catch water and waste, also newspapers under the dish for splash.

For heat I have an incandecent 60w house bulb because my room is pretty hot and humid already. For UVB I have the exo terra 5.0. The highest perch to the bulbs is about 8". Temps around basking branches get to about 92* middle of enclosure about 80* and the bottom around 74*. He has been mostly using the wire of the enclosure to get around which makes me a bit uneasy because he seems to struggle after a trip around the cage. His joints look fine, and his bones very sturdy.

Diet has been loaded crickets , romaine lettuce, and he took a leaf off the Gardenia. Suggestions?

I am new to reptiles and a life long animal lover so I want to do my best to care for this lil guy. If anyone can give me any tips for dripping or can see something wrong with the enclosure, all critizism is welcome.
5AmX81.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
l8OY9d.jpg

Climbing the sides is indicative of him not feeling secure. You need more foliage and horizontal places to move and hide.
Your enclosure is functional, but not ideal. The wire is harsh on chameleon feet and if galvanized, is toxic.
The gardenia is going to do poorly in such dimly lit quarters and your cage will not be nearly large enough, as a minimum cage size for an adult male veiled is 24"X48".
Not all chameleons drink enough from a dripper and regardless, they require misting to clean their eyes.
Romaine lettuce is a poor choice for gutloading.
I did not see the proper UVB in your photos. If the Exoterra 5.0 you refer to is a coiled, compact fluorescent, and fits in one of those clamp lamps, then it won't do. You need the long, thin tube lights or a low wattage, 60-80 watt Mercury Vapor bulb, but a dual tube fluorescent fixture, with a UVB and daylight bulb is your best option.
What you have is an understanding of some of the foundations of good chameleon care, but you need to read some caresheets and read about gutloading, then let us know what you think you should do. A $40 animal easily can add up to $1k in lighting, caging, and watering equipment. I know, because I'm putting together my own veiled habitat, at the moment. I never aim for adequate, but shoot for the most optimal, above and beyond adequate I can get, within reason.

I hope you take what I said as good advice and not just picking you apart. Chameleons are not an easy investment and take a lot of money, planning, and understanding of their psychology to keep them in good health.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just recently purchased a Veiled Chameleon the other day and would love some input on his enclosure.

It is a wooden enclosure with glass doors at the front so I am worried a little about ventilation (However living in England a Mesh cage would be too difficult to heat!)

I'm also waiting for my little dripper to arrive- although the Humidity sits at between 70%-80% with misting 1-2 times a day.

Thanks in advance-

Chris

Climbing the sides is indicative of him not feeling secure. You need more foliage and horizontal places to move and hide.
Your enclosure is functional, but not ideal. The wire is harsh on chameleon feet and if galvanized, is toxic.
The gardenia is going to do poorly in such dimly lit quarters and your cage will not be nearly large enough, as a minimum cage size for an adult male veiled is 24"X48".
Not all chameleons drink enough from a dripper and regardless, they require misting to clean their eyes.
Romaine lettuce is a poor choice for gutloading.
I did not see the proper UVB in your photos. If the Exoterra 5.0 you refer to is a coiled, compact fluorescent, and fits in one of those clamp lamps, then it won't do. You need the long, thin tube lights or a low wattage, 60-80 watt Mercury Vapor bulb, but a dual tube fluorescent fixture, with a UVB and daylight bulb is your best option.
What you have is an understanding of some of the foundations of good chameleon care, but you need to read some caresheets and read about gutloading, then let us know what you think you should do. A $40 animal easily can add up to $1k in lighting, caging, and watering equipment. I know, because I'm putting together my own veiled habitat, at the moment. I never aim for adequate, but shoot for the most optimal, above and beyond adequate I can get, within reason.

I hope you take what I said as good advice and not just picking you apart. Chameleons are not an easy investment and take a lot of money, planning, and understanding of their psychology to keep them in good health.
Thanks for the advice! Another member on another thread pretty much explained everything to me, and I am working on improving his habitat. I have switched him to only RO water out of a glass jug, Covered almost 75% of his cage in natural and artificial plants, added vines, and lots more sticks to climb on. He now rarely has acces to the cage unless he goes up to drink from the dripper which he is doing regularly now. I have been gutloading his crix with sweet potatoes, carrots, and kale. He gets superworms as a snack once or twice a week. I also made a drainpan for his cage, and ordered the dual tube UVB and Daylight fixture. Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice! Another member on another thread pretty much explained everything to me, and I am working on improving his habitat. I have switched him to only RO water out of a glass jug, Covered almost 75% of his cage in natural and artificial plants, added vines, and lots more sticks to climb on. He now rarely has acces to the cage unless he goes up to drink from the dripper which he is doing regularly now. I have been gutloading his crix with sweet potatoes, carrots, and kale. He gets superworms as a snack once or twice a week. I also made a drainpan for his cage, and ordered the dual tube UVB and Daylight fixture. Thanks again!

That's a great start. Glad you're moving in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom