Now What?

Cuda

I put my Panthers together for one day to see if they would get along. Everything looked fine they were both eating so I went and got a cup of coffee. When I came back this is what I found. Now What ? I was not quite ready for love at first site. How long before she might lay eggs?

001.jpg

005.jpg

You put a male and female in the same cage, but didn't want them to mate?

A month or so before she lays eggs. Once female panthers start laying eggs, they don't stop. Each clutch shortens the females life as well.

They were hand picked to breed and I waited till she was old enough but I thought it would take a little time for her to accept him.
You put a male and female in the same cage, but didn't want them to mate?

A month or so before she lays eggs. Once female panthers start laying eggs, they don't stop. Each clutch shortens the females life as well.

It doesn't work like that (they aren't people) either she is receptive or not. If she is receptive the male will mount and do his business. If she is not receptive she will get angry and might even attack the male.

Once female panthers start laying eggs, they don't stop.

Really? So you can't cut down food and temps and get them to stop cycling? I didn't know that... But then again, I don't have a panther female so I've never thought to research breeding. But I thought they worked the same way as veiled girls.

Nope, I have never heard of a person who was able to stop egg production in panthers after they began cycling. You can make the clutches smaller though.

Feel free to give nest box tips and other breeding info. As I need to make sure I get it right.

Since putting mine together in Oct 2009, My female has laid 5 infertile clutches of around 23-26 eggs each. Thats after 3 fertile clutches of exactly 23 eggs each. I keep her temps down (basking spot at 82F max) and feed her every 2 days and always cup feed a couple of roaches and the occasional silk. She keeps a healthy weight but she has not slowed down since her first (and fertile) clutch. She is still doing pretty good but I am not sure how long they can keep that kind of pace.

Pssh...you could of at least give links:rolleyes:;)

needless to say, it would be more beneficial to do your own research, but i dont agree with Pssh, sometimes a little guidence doesnt hurt with at least references who might help:p:cool:

needless to say, it would be more beneficial to do your own research, but i dont agree with Pssh, sometimes a little guidence doesnt hurt with at least references who might help:p:cool:

At the same time though, this mating wasn't completely an accident. If he was planning on breeding them that sort of implies that you've researched what to do beforehand, or that you should have. With such a bounty of information to be found using the search (these type of threads pop up at like 3 a week!), it's not hard to find the info on your own. We can't do ALL the work for everyone :p

Ive read that the females will retain sperm from the male, so you will probably be having more than just once fertile clutch in the future :p. Ship one my way when they are old enough, im more than willing to take one off your hands :D

Dah! Why bother posting if you have nothing good or of value to say. People are full of knowledge and part of research. Always good to learn from other peoples mistakes. You have far more to learn about life than I do about Breeding Panthers.
Tips = research. End of story

Thanks for info on this subject.
Since putting mine together in Oct 2009, My female has laid 5 infertile clutches of around 23-26 eggs each. Thats after 3 fertile clutches of exactly 23 eggs each. I keep her temps down (basking spot at 82F max) and feed her every 2 days and always cup feed a couple of roaches and the occasional silk. She keeps a healthy weight but she has not slowed down since her first (and fertile) clutch. She is still doing pretty good but I am not sure how long they can keep that kind of pace.

Thanks ! We are on the same page . If you really care you know you have to do your homework but there is bad info out there too and the more resource the better to help you make the right move. I grow Saltwater Corals and don't claim to be a know it all but I would never tell someone with a question to pound sand.

Thank you. It was intentional. Just suprized it went so easy. From past post reading I have seen some people that have trouble getting them to mate . Some can't even get them to drink water. I also already had a nesting pot in her cage . I just thought I might get some feedback of value to confirm I'm on the right track. I like to listen and learn sometimes.
I just wanted to congratulate you on your new breeding project..even if it wasn't totally intentional :p

Thank you. It was intentional. Just suprized it went so easy. From past post reading I have seen some people that have trouble getting them to mate . Some can't even get them to drink water. I also already had a nesting pot in her cage . I just thought I might get some feedback of value to confirm I'm on the right track. I like to listen and learn sometimes.

I wish I could help you with breeding Panther's but I have Jackson's..lol However, I do want to breed them so I'm sure that when my female is gravid I'll have a lot of questions to and can only hope people with experience will be willing to answer them. So, I know what you mean.. about your frustration..if no one posted answers to questions we wouldn't have a forum

Back
Top Bottom