New here & to Chameleons

swords

Hello folks,

I'm new to this site as I was looking online for information on Pygmy Chameleons (Rieppeleon brevicaudatus). I am interested in this species because I have seen many places describing that they enjoy a vivarium style existence instead of a net cage like the bigger species. I don't know if it's ok to ask about sellers but is FL Chams a good breeder/importer of these pygmy chameleons to buy from? I hope to breed all my critters in captivity to help ease the pressures of wild collecting.

I am a longtime terrarium plant hobbyist but other than a single Anolis sagrei who hatched from a plant I ordered off ebay four years ago (and I still have) I've never kept terrarium animals until this year. I have two Tarantulas, 3 mature Ghost Mantids (brown males and green female), 3 sub adult Spiny Flower Mantids (2 purple, 1 green), 10 Geosesarma sp. "Red" (jungle crabs) I got from de Vosjoli, and some other interesting arthropods on this shelf:

shelves1.jpg

Here's some critters:

purpleflower5.jpg

greenghostfemale1.jpg

crabs2.jpg

I have set up a new shelf and would like to use the 37 gallon sliding front vivarium for a trio of pygmy chameleons. The tank will have a partial screen top and be fully planted with live ficus and other moist woodland plants without being as wet as a frog habitat. I won't get into it here since there is a specific forum on pygmy enclosures.
shelves2.jpg

Overall facilities:
Each shelf is lit with two T5 High Output daylight fluorescents which is warmer than regular T12 fluorescents but double the light output for half the electricity use for the same lumen intensity. With oscillating fans wafting over each shelf and an AC the temps are OK in summer winter things are fine. The camouflaged insects like the air movement and they move around more than if there's no airflow. I grow food plants in pots and terrarium stock plants & starters in plastic tubs using cuttings in the vivariums. I have a wall mount oscillating fan coming which should be awesome!

I inoculate my enclosures with isopods and springtails even if there are no display animals in them. The isopods do not survive in the jungle crab enclosure, the crabs eat them like candy, I'm assuming they must be a natural prey item they pass on crickets if there are isopods. I am breeding a very small form called "Jungle Micropods" for their enclosure since the big orange P. scaber isopods didn't seem to last the night either of the times I've added them.

Here's my latest setup on the new shelf in a 10 gallon converted to vertical,
clay13.jpg

No critters are planned for it I'm just having fun with a new technique of using clay and peat as a background material instead of spray foam and silicone. I love the new technique so far so easy to mix and use.

I've never ordered anything from FL Chams myself, but from all the things I've heard on the forum, they're one of the best. They're also one of the site's sponsors.

Welcome to the forum ... You have some super awesome set ups with some very cool critters !!! :eek::eek:
FLChams is a great place and Mike is a good person to deal with he will help you with anything you need. :D

Back
Top Bottom