New Free range completed

EC22

Hi all

I just finished setting up my enclosure for my melleri, Jacques. The base is made out of stained and waterproofed ply wood. There are 5 plants on the table: pothos, schefflera amate, hibiscus, draceana, and bougain villea. I feel there is not enough vertical climbing spots but I'll try to add more vines later. The highest spot is roughly 5ft tall.

I used a Mega Ray 100w low for lighting. At 16'' the temps is about 85F. I might be adding another basking spot, without the uvb source. For now I spray by hand until I reinstall the mistking nozzles. Drainage is taken care by holes drilled at the back. I did spray him a couple times but he didn't drink anything. He didn't move much either. Nothing has changed in the room except for the enclosure so there is no new stress source.

Do you see anything that would need a little improvement?

Thanks for looking!
Etienne

Here are a couple shots:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 395
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 390
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 305
You should get a ReptiSun 5.0. (or 10.0) MegaRay bulbs arent good IMO... Because its hard to adjust how high the basking spot is AND where the UVB source is.

Nice selection of plants, and nice base. To get more horizontal places, you could put some natural branches standing up in the corners to attach other branches and vines to.

It would also give you a place to run the mist system, feeder bowls and the UVB. Looks like Melleri heaven.:D

Nick

I would add some vines. Melleri need good sturdy horizontal places to roost. Make sure they are nice and high as well. If you do not have a UVB meter then I would switch to Reptisun 10.0 lamps with an aluminum reflector. Melleri are montane species so they don't need the kind of heat and UBV the Powersun has. The Powersun can be a bit difficult to set up without a meter. I use two 36" Reptisun 10.0s with an aluminum foil replector (made from the foil you buy at the grocery store) I get a very good coverate of UVB all over the free range. At about 18-20" from the vines the UVB is just right. Some of the plants you have are not such a good idea... From my understanding money trees are toxic. I would buy like four ficus trees and trim them so they don't have a ton of wasted plant growth on the lower bits. Then hang vines from the sturdier branches. What do you plan to use for misting? If you don't have a misting system you might want to get them since melleri need a fair amount of water and humidity.

I like the stand and pothos plant. Pothos are great for coverage once they start to branch out. I have one that is just over 6' long and I drape the vines across the front of one of my free ranges to give Henry some 'privacy', he is kinda shy.:eek:

I thought I should point out that the Schefflera (Brassaia actinophylla) you are using is toxic. You may want to replace it with Schefflera arboricola.

I thought I should point out that the Schefflera (Brassaia actinophylla) you are using is toxic. You may want to replace it with Schefflera arboricola.

What is it that is sold at HD?

They both look very similar, how can you tell the difference? (other than looking at the tag :rolleyes:)

And, my mistake I called it a money tree.... :eek:

@ Ryan and Summoner12

Thanks guys for your input. I'll remove it right away. Good thing my guy didn't feel like exploring his new palace :eek: When I bought the tree I asked to see its description in a gardening book. Found it but it referred to schefflera arboricola so I just figured it would be ok to use it.

I bought the plant at a local home improvement store.

I already have a cool mist humidifier and I was using mistking nozzles before switching to this bigger setup. I just need to reroute the tubes/nozzles.

Thanks again for your input!!!!

Etienne

What is it that is sold at HD?

They both look very similar, how can you tell the difference? (other than looking at the tag :rolleyes:)

And, my mistake I called it a money tree.... :eek:

They do look really close. The differences are subtle. They sell them both at HD. Usually you will see the toxic type are much larger but I have seen some smaller ones. The leaves are a bit wrinkled looking and look to me more like really big ficus leaves on an umbrella plant. They also have a really high gloss to them.

Brassaia actinophylla often have a wider leaf, and just like Ryan said, have a glossy and wavy look to them... not to mention the fact the actinophylla have yellow veining in the leaves, and droop significantly, while most arboricola do not droop as much, and do not have the yellow veining (at least not in the smaller plants that I have). It also helps to look at the branches, what size are they compared to the leaves? Are they very thick? Very thin?

@ Ryan and Summoner12

Thanks guys for your input. I'll remove it right away. Good thing my guy didn't feel like exploring his new palace :eek: When I bought the tree I asked to see its description in a gardening book. Found it but it referred to schefflera arboricola so I just figured it would be ok to use it.

I bought the plant at a local home improvement store.

I already have a cool mist humidifier and I was using mistking nozzles before switching to this bigger setup. I just need to reroute the tubes/nozzles.

Thanks again for your input!!!!

Etienne

If your book said the plant you are using is a schefflera arboricola, then you are OK. its the other one that is bad. But the one you have tehre does look like that 'bad' plant.

Ryan, the leaves are also longer? The plant in the photo looks a lot longer and yes, shiny compared to the leaves on the plants I have. I think I have the right plants. :eek:

If your book said the plant you are using is a schefflera arboricola, then you are OK. its the other one that is bad. But the one you have tehre does look like that 'bad' plant.

Ryan, the leaves are also longer? The plant in the photo looks a lot longer and yes, shiny compared to the leaves on the plants I have. I think I have the right plants. :eek:

Yeah quite a bit longer. The ones I have seen in your pics is the arboricola so you are covered. ;) The leaves are a little more rounded in the aroboricola as well.

Common Name: Amate Schefflera
Scientific Name: Brassaia actinophylla
The Amate variety features larger green foliage with a glossy surface. Almost waxy looking. Longer leaves and is toxic if eaten.

Last edited:
Nice setup. I would put something like dowels in there for roosting. Your guy is going to grow faster than those plants can support him. He's gonna need something more stable. And of course more tall roosts.

I'm not even sure the plants can support him right now. At least not the hibiscus or bouggainvillea. The hot spot is about 4ft off the ground. How tall should it be?

I got rid of the schefflera and I replaced it with a ficus alli. Looks much nicer and sturdier.

He hasn't drink since yesterday afternoon even though I sprayed quite a bit today. When I first got it (3 months ago) he drank right away as the petshop didn't take good care of him. He didn't move or explore at all today. I guess it's normal due to the circumstances. I offered him a couple superworms and he ate them rather quickly.

Ideally the higher the better. Both my guys enjoy time in the highest roost I have in my enclosure and it's over 7 ft off the ground.

nope

haven't had time to change anything.

He seems to move around a bit more but he's still very shy. He does bask, eat and drink normally.

Back
Top Bottom