My Veiled's new cage setup, let me show it to you

Professor Booty

Note: this is probably overly verbose for most people on here, so skip my ramblings if you want :)

newcage%20009%20%28Large%29.jpg

My ~1 year old veiled has outgrown the Reptarium he came with. I jumped on the LLL Reptile.com 24"^2 x 48" cage deal then set about collecting goodies for it.

This cage wouldn't fit in or on anything I currently own, and presentation is kinda important to me. I settled on Ikea's "build your own table," thing. The top is a basic 29.5" square piece of the cheapest stuff they had, the legs (just black metal poles) were $5 each. It was about $40 for the whole table- way cheaper than anything else with similar functionality and looks that I'd found.

For drainage I took the largest drill bit I could find and drilled a hole through the table. I cut up a $0.99 funnel so that just the spout and a tiny bit of the top part were left. This allows the water to flow through the hole without getting the cheapo pressed cardboard/fiberboard wet. I might use epoxy or something else to seal off the hole properly sometime in the future, I'm not sure. I also want to attach a hanging tray to the bottom so I can put my drainage tub a few inches under the table and out of sight- currently the funnel just drips into a big plastic utility tub sitting on the floor.

newcage%20003%20%28Large%29.jpg

The plastic bottom tray of the cage has 3 small holes drilled into it so that water can drain but crickets can't escape.

newcage%20006%20%28Large%29.jpg

To get a little extra clearance I cut and double-stacked cheap coasters (also found at Ikea) at all 4 corners. They're the black things on the table in the picture. This allows the outer edges of the plastic tray to sit higher than the middle where the drain holes are. They also allow a tiny bit of airflow under the plastic to keep moisture from building up, and they prevent the cage from scratching the table. Not that I think that'll happen- the corners of the cage are soft plastic - but now there's no way it can happen.

newcage%20001%20%28Large%29.jpg

newcage%20005%20%28Large%29.jpg

The live plant is a dwarf umbrella. It has all-organic potting soil and a layer of large, black river rocks on both the top and bottom. The former prevents the chameleon from ingesting any of the soil, the latter prevents root rot from any water caught in the bottom of the pot (though it has holes to drain out) and helps keep the soil from getting washed out.

The dripper setup is pretty slick. One of the reptile guys at Preuss Pets - http://www.preusspets.com/ - in Lansing, MI suggested this to me. Awesome, awesome pet store for anyone in the area, btw. I bought a package of small plastic plants meant for an aquarium. The bottom of each strand has a round "socket" where a "ball" goes in to hold it. The base has a bunch of those ball-ends, and the top of each strand has one that is used to hold on a white flower-looking piece. I just chained the strands end-to-end, carefully put in a dab of superglue, WASHED THOROUGHLY, then pushed the top ball-end through the cage and snapped one of the flowers back on to hold it all in place.

newcage%20012%20%28Large%29.jpg

The dripper just drips right onto that top flower and drips the entire way down, works great. Here's a video. Sorry it looks all distorted; youtube didn't like the aspect ratio of the camera i used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf1fWSGrUK8

I might get a stand so that I can raise the live plant up higher until it grows some more, it's currently too low IMO. Another 10-15 feet of vine would be good too, he needs more climbing areas around the middle.

Questions, comments, concerns?

This is one of the best informative detailed threads. I love it and I'm gonna steal ur dripper Idea :) hehe

Looks great :)

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I wish i could take credit for that dripper idea. I'm actually not 100% sold on it- the little critter doesn't seem too interested in the water when it runs down, but i haven't watched him 24/7 to see if he actually drinks from it or not.

how about a photo of the cham himself?

Sure. He's in the very upper-left of the first picture in the first post, but you can barely see him. These are both from inside his old Reptarium.

April%2030%202008%20001%20%28Large%29.jpg

April%2030%202008%20002%20%28Large%29.jpg

Update!

I got sick of the giant black utility tub on the floor. It was a pain to empty and ugly.

I bought a simple wire basket/hanging shelf thing. I bent the hanging hooks back so that they were horizontal, drilled pilot holes in the underside of the ikea table, and put in the screws. I just took one of the screws that came with the ikea table to the hardware and got the most similar thing they had. If you're thinking of doing this, just be sure the drill bit you use is about the same size as the shaft - not the shaft + threads - of the screw. Err on the side of smaller if you can.

Excuse the mess, the house is being remodeled.

drain1.jpg

The screwheads are the perfect size for hooking the basket onto. The construction of the basket is flexible enough that even though I did a horrible job of measuring and positioning the holes the basket still fits just fine.

drain2.jpg

Nice and out of sight :D
drain3.jpg

Critter approves!

IMG_1282_Large.jpg

Back
Top Bottom