My Jackson Chameleon both eyes closed

Guys look what i found.... i think this would somehow do and fix some MBD issues. I will order one and just a drop from the crickets back will give supplement to our beloved chams. Now i will do some research on force feeding chams if they are not able to open their eyes. I'll do some further research on this one. Again this is JUST D only and nothing else.

http://www.sunlightvitamins.com/joomla/

I gave you a link to a thread with a very good discussion of force feeding, though, to be honest, I don't think you need to be forcing things yet.

Very, very often when they get seriously wet you'll see them "smack" their lips a bit...that's them getting water into their mouths.

Thanks Eliza, ill on to that thread and ok im not gonna force him right now to eat but my question is...until when should i wait? i dont want it to be too late. Thanks again!!!

After you read the thread and try some of the "tricks" you might not even feel like you have to force the issue. I think until it's been over a week you're well within the "normal" time frame.

i live in a desert, El Paso Texas. So I bought a mistking. expensive but amazing. Currently I have it on a timer to go off every hour except for 3 hours before bed. It goes off for a minute at a time, with 2 of the mistings for 3 minutes. It keeps the humidity up. Also I had a custom cage built with only screening on the front, and just plain staind wood on the sides and back to help hold humidity. btw i didnt read all the posts yet, just read on the second page you asking about how to hold in the humidity.

Thanks Grim, right now the humidity inside me cage is still fluctuating from 60 to 70 and if i mist it so hard it goes to 80deg. I added some more pathos plants inside Mike-L my Jackson chameleon. So far humidity is ok but still his eyes are closed. Guys here in this forum are great and totally know how to care. I will try and do things to see if i can kinda put some resolution to my chameleon's problem. I will keep you all posted. Thanks!

what kind of uv light is it? in the past some uv lights have caused eye problems for chameleons so most people just stick to the (uvb) reptisun/glo 5.0/10.0 long tube style

what kind of uv light is it? in the past some uv lights have caused eye problems for chameleons so most people just stick to the (uvb) reptisun/glo 5.0/10.0 long tube style

Yes Grim i bought a repti-glo but what i am doing right now everytime i go to work i put Mike-L my Jackson chameleon on my front yard in his separate enclosure with hibiscus plant, mist him for a good 5min then 3hrs of pure sun to enjoy and of course with shades from plant when he needs it. Then at 12noon when he gets back to his normal enclosure inside the house with a repti-glo 5.0 uvb and basking that has a temp of 85 to 90deg.

When i picked him up this morning he opened up both eyes for just under a minute then he closes them back again. Something is really bothering him opening his eyes. But his eyes were checked by my vet, and he could have told me if there is something wrong with it, instead he told me to raise up the humidity. Anyway, what matters to me right now that Mike-L my Jackson chameleon is still ALIVE. Now i'm waiting for his medicine i ordered called JUST D --- the purest of VITAMIN D.

Curing still in progress................................

Thanks!

I think you are worrying way too much about humidity. If he is dehydrated he needs actual water to drink, not just humidity. I hope you are misting him for very long periods to give him time to drink and clean his eyes ....

also, if he gets sunshine every day he does NOT need vitamin D.

@ Princess, yes i know i am worrying too much... this is the first time i did this and fell in love with my chameleon. I really would love to have him back happy with both eyes open. As far as your suggestion/s you guys are AWESOME! and I followed every single thing you just told me. Everyday i mist him for a good 10minutes and put him in the sun with shades for a good 3 hrs and put him back inside at 12noon. After work i go straight to my room pick him up and mist him at the front yard again with a good 10mins. Thanks!!!

I think your basking temperature is a bit high for a Jackson's. I would think 85 would be the maximum you want.

@Eliza, so 85-90deg is too high? if thats the case i probably need to raise up the basking light or probably change to a lower wattage such as 40W. Thanks!

I think you are worrying way too much about humidity. If he is dehydrated he needs actual water to drink, not just humidity. I hope you are misting him for very long periods to give him time to drink and clean his eyes ....

also, if he gets sunshine every day he does NOT need vitamin D.

I agree.
Dont assume he is drinking because he is getting misted.
If a jack is the least bit stressed, it will not drink unless you "kick start" it!!

I use a 2 quart mist bottle, warm it in the microwave, and spray my jack's directly, water dripping off the face wet, until he finally starts to open and close his mouth. When he opens his mouth, I spray right in there! he does not move, he sits there and starts to drink and loves it.

Also, keep an eye on his poop to make sure he is will hydrated.
This can be hard to do because jacks often have the solid poop seperate from the white urates

@ Princess, yes i know i am worrying too much... this is the first time i did this and fell in love with my chameleon. I really would love to have him back happy with both eyes open. As far as your suggestion/s you guys are AWESOME! and I followed every single thing you just told me. Everyday i mist him for a good 10minutes and put him in the sun with shades for a good 3 hrs and put him back inside at 12noon. After work i go straight to my room pick him up and mist him at the front yard again with a good 10mins. Thanks!!!

I think the problem is not that you are worrying too much it is that you are doing things that are unnecessary and unhelpful for his current condition.

Because he is dehyrated i would mist for much longer than 10 minutes at a time. We brought home a dehyrated panther and he is getting a one hour shower every morning and a 30 minute or more misting in the afternoon.

Also, 85-90 degrees is way too hot for a dehydrated cham. 85 would not be bad under normal situations but would you want to be thristy and in 90 degree temps? I would do away with the basking light altogether for now - it is quite warm enough in So Cal right now - unless you have AC on. How is he getting water when he is out in the sun?

Psychobun and Princess thanks!!! ok ok.. Whenever i take him out in the sun i used my little dripper fill it up and leave a drop/secm also shade is provided for him just in case too much heat. and i have the drop falls from the plant leaves. How can i shower him for an hour??? should i literally take him to the bathroom shower and leave him there for a good hour? i mean, can you please tell me how am i going to do this? should i get that monsoon thing? when i mist him 10mins before and after work for 10mins i dont see him opening his mouth but atleast something can go in between his lips right? im planning on using the syringe if he will keep doing this. I probably do it and mix mineral water with pedialyte im not taking any more chances and wait for him to die. I will change the basking bulb to lower wattage.

yes, to shower put him on a plant in the shower. put the water off to one side so he can get out from directly under it. the water should be not hot, cooler but not ice cold.

yes, to shower put him on a plant in the shower. put the water off to one side so he can get out from directly under it. the water should be not hot, cooler but not ice cold.

Ok, Princess i'll do this after work. Now remember its TAP Water and im not giving him Mineral Water as i use to. So TAP WATER is ok? i assume?

well, it depends on your tap water. I use only tap water for my chameleons and other pets and I drink it as well.

Have you made sure that the mineral water you are using does not have added sodium or sugar?

well, it depends on your tap water. I use only tap water for my chameleons and other pets and I drink it as well.

Have you made sure that the mineral water you are using does not have added sodium or sugar?

Yes the mineral water that i use i bought from Fresh and Easy is not containing any added sodium or sugar. Actually Princess, Mike-L my Jackson chameleon already opening his eyes, what i dont understand is why is he closing it again?? I WISH CHAMELEONS CAN TALK! for 4 weeks i've been sleeping for few hours because i am very affected in his condition. As long as he keeps hanging on, i wont give up and you guys as i've said are awesome, im so glad i joined this forum.

P.S.
Can chameleon/s tolerate higher humidity? can they get sick because of it?

I have had similar problems with one of my Jacksons.Have you tried syringe watering him?Gently open the mouth and squirt some water in ,and within a couple of minutes he should start drinking.

I was advised by a vet earlier today and am also administering antibiotics and rehydration salts orally.At the moment it seems to be working.No matter how much I sprayed her before she would not drink.Just be gentle and it should work.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom