My chameleon is randomly laying eggs!

Zeus34

I have a female veiled and shes about a year and a half old. A couple months ago in October she laid her 2nd clutch of eggs. None were fertile. In the days after she laid the eggs, she would still dig holes in the bottom corner of her enclosure day after day. Then it turned into every couple weeks. Then she stopped. Sometime during mid-November i saw an egg in one of the corners where she had dug. I took it out and threw it away because it was a bad egg. Just today i woke up and found a big one in one of the corners and two other smaller ones spread around the cage. Why is she doing this?

Go to a vet ASAP!
She clearly still has eggs. She will be egg bound soon if you won't take action.

What could this be!? She looks very healthy to me! And shes also her normal size. When she laid her 2nd clutch she laid 52 eggs! And finished burying them and everything! How could she become egg bound?

Did you breed her? She could have a retained clutch. Also if it was a big clutch she may not have been able to lay them all. I would suggest a vet visit too but not to worry too much because she's doing well just now. But do remember that they can go down hill pretty fast, better safe than sorry! :)

Hello, first don't panic. I had a female quad who dropped 2 clutches of eggs that way. They were not fertile. The first time she did that it was freak out time. I looked at everything. Maybe she had been mailed to me too close to time to lay, maybe she was egg bound, maybe her laying bin was not to her liking, maybe she needed yet more privacy, I just didn't know. I called the vet who said if she was dropping eggs she was not likely not egg bound. So she went on dropping a egg here, a couple days later another egg over there, and so it went until she was done with the clutch. The only way I knew this was she finally stopped dropping eggs. Fast forward, second infertile clutch, same think all over again. She is now with a friend and she did the same thing to him later. Just seems like what she does. I would make sure she has all the things she needs and let her be. If she is dropping eggs, then she is not egg bound. Egg bound is when they can't get the eggs out. Let me know how she does.

In my experience its not good when a veiled female does this. It usually means that she will have reproductive issues down the road. In my experience it also seems to be a husbandry issue in most cases. 51 eggs is a large clutch and you may be overseeing her.

Back
Top Bottom