My Chameleon hates us i think...

Lynneparker88

Hey I am totally new here and new to being a chameleon owner as well, but I swear to god our new chameleon, Milo, hates my boyfriend and I. We got him a week ago. Hes a veiled chameleon. I don't really know how old as the store sold them by size. I was told to get a medium sized male so i did. Even though the small females were way more friendly. I was able to hold Milo at the store even though he was a little squirmy, but he seemed nice. Then it changed when we got home. Ever since i got him into his cage and got it all set up, he seriously just acts like a cranky butthole chameleon. I talk to him and it's like his eyes are telling me to shut the f*** up. Hes got his lights,. food, and water all set up how it should be. I try to touch him slowly and he runs away from me. I took at him and he turns to stone or runs to his hiding spot. I tried to be a little more brave and put a twig out to him to see if maybe he'd climb on it and instead got hissed at like I've never heard him do and snap at me. Got all puffy and changed colors (even tho his colors were pretty.. darker green)... so do I just have an asshole chameleon or is this something i should expect.

-Lynne

Hello and welcome to the forums Lynne I've had my Panther 4 about 2 month now and he's just started to b a little social coming out on his own n stuff I think it's just building his trust. I left the door open when I was close by 4 hours a day and he never wanted to come out then this week we had a breakthrough he thought he was on his great escape mission and now he doesn't want to spend time in his cage lol. So I suggest just taking it slow it might just take some time. There's lots of knowledge around here and there more then happy to share it good luck n enjoy

Welcome to the forums Lynne. That's very sad about your chameleon. It should like he is terrified. Chameleons needs some time to adjust to a new home, new environment and a new keeper. They can also become territorial and cage aggressive. Do you have other pets or small children? I free range all of mine, interact with them daily and they are very socialable and friendly. Since it sounds like your guy came from a pet store you will need to take it slow and spend allot of time working with him. Here's a blog from one of our long time senior member that you might find helpful. I'm also attaching my blog for new keepers. Chameleons need allot of special care and pet stores are know for giving out incorrect information and I want to be sure you have everything correct for him. Let me know if you have any other questions.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/entry/the-taming-of-the-chameleon.746/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/

Hey I am totally new here and new to being a chameleon owner as well, but I swear to god our new chameleon, Milo, hates my boyfriend and I. We got him a week ago. Hes a veiled chameleon. I don't really know how old as the store sold them by size. I was told to get a medium sized male so i did. Even though the small females were way more friendly. I was able to hold Milo at the store even though he was a little squirmy, but he seemed nice. Then it changed when we got home. Ever since i got him into his cage and got it all set up, he seriously just acts like a cranky butthole chameleon. I talk to him and it's like his eyes are telling me to shut the f*** up. Hes got his lights,. food, and water all set up how it should be. I try to touch him slowly and he runs away from me. I took at him and he turns to stone or runs to his hiding spot. I tried to be a little more brave and put a twig out to him to see if maybe he'd climb on it and instead got hissed at like I've never heard him do and snap at me. Got all puffy and changed colors (even tho his colors were pretty.. darker green)... so do I just have an asshole chameleon or is this something i should expect.

-Lynne
Sorry to say this, but that's kind of the way most chams are. They are very independent and don't like to be handled. Hope he may turn around and be a little nicer to you. Good luck!

Chameleons aren't pets like dogs and cats...
They will never like you, they don't even like their own species...
They may learn to tolerate you as you are the hand that feeds them, maybe even to a point that they are fine being handled, but they won't ever run up to you wagging their tails.

You may need alot of patience for your cham to accept you, it may never happen... Maybe he's just hit puberty and is extra grumpy...

Now....on a positive note....be happy you did not get the female as they have lots of special needs and care, also usually a shorter life. Keep your little guy in a low traffic area and ignore him for a while except for feeding , cleaning etc. He will eventually learn you bring food....and food is good. He may start being more responsive in time. Congregations to the life with a chammy. ;)

Now....on a positive note....be happy you did not get the female as they have lots of special needs and care, also usually a shorter life. Keep your little guy in a low traffic area and ignore him for a while except for feeding , cleaning etc. He will eventually learn you bring food....and food is good. He may start being more responsive in time. Congregations to the life with a chammy. ;)
Very true... I have a female myself and she hisses at me when I try to mist her tank (I hand mist to make sure they have enough water on the leaves) and we have the laying bin set up in her tank for when she's ready and it's a pain to keep clean. That's just a chameleon for you though, they're unpredictable ;)

I got my 1st and only(as of right now) chameleon for my 12th birthday and she has been doing well in the past month. I have had snakes iguanas bearded dragons etc. and they all were very different from chams, but I wouldn't trade her for the world :rolleyes:

-Lynne
Its best not to take this personally at all. He isn't this way just to annoy you, he's being a chameleon. You are a large, funny-looking intruder to his territory, and as far as he knows you could also be a predator. Once he settles into the daily routine in your home and recognizes you he may mellow out. Please don't hold it against him, he's just being what he is.

Welcome and congrats on your new baby- 1 week is a very short time, like everyone said give him time and on his terms,
I got a chameleon 7 weeks ago- for the first 4 weeks he was very nervous and shy , I was very worried, couldn't understand why he wasn't eating well, it's taken this long , it's only now that I can walk past him and he doesnt hide, but he's coming round- but it's taking time for him, he's learning I bring food and that I'm not going to try and touch or even interact with him, I think it will be many months before I can go near him.
We, as owners, sometimes don't realise how stressful a new house can be- We know what's going on but they don't , he's been from one owner, to a pet shop perhaps, then to another owner maybe all in a matter of weeks- Imagine if without any warning I took you and placed you in a completely different house with another species you didnt know. Imagine how scared you'd be so have faith.
At the moment it sounds like he's just scared and he's not doing it to annoy you and he's not being difficult.
Give him time and move things on slowly, enjoy him for who he is, you can relish being able to observe his wonderful colours and habits, as a most beautiful, exotic and fascinating animal in your care but perhaps as animal to view rather than as a hands on pet.
Best of luck, enjoy his and your experiences and take your time . :) Also I was very cheered by reading a post here -search for
If your cham is nervous,keep trying..have patience :)
A really great story and gives all of us with nervous chams hope!

Back
Top Bottom