My chameleon has just spewed a few mins ago!

speedmast

My chameleon has just vomited a few mins ago!

I've just witnessed my panther chameleon vomited and he is seeming to be slept right now.But it's afternoon right now,what can I do?(He ate 2crickets & 1grasshoper yesterday)

A little more detail please

The form provided by CF:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

I would fill out the form ASAP.

Did you feed him something right when he threw up? Or did he just throw up on his own, long after feeding?

@Speedmast: we need to know this information to give you the most accurate response, please fill it out as specific/accurately as you can:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

I would fill out the form ASAP.

Did you feed him something right when he threw up? Or did he just throw up on his own, long after feeding?

I have fed him 1 grasshoper & 2 crickets about 24hrs ago.He refused to eat today and I was just wondering why.A while later,I saw him vomiting on his own and pooping.The problem is a part of his poop is still stuck and he just can't poop it out.what can I do?

....you need to fill out the form that we have linked twice now....I would also attach a picture of the stuck poop and what his feces look like. Is he trying to continue pooping and can't? Are you sure it isn't a sperm plug?

Here it is again; just copy and paste it (or "quote" my post) and fill it out...

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

@Speedmast: we need to know this information to give you the most accurate response, please fill it out as specific/accurately as you can:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - (panther chameleon:sambava), (male), (and about 1 year old). How long has it been in your care?-(1 week)
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?-(every day)
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?-(dubia roaches) What is the schedule?(2-3 adult dubia every other day) How are you gut-loading your feeders?(I feeds them with carrot every other day)
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?(Rep-Cal calcium with vit D3)(about 3times a week)
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use?(mister) How often and how long to you mist?(I mist every 1-2hours) Do you see your chameleon drinking?(yes,but not usual)
Fecal Description - (light green&yellow) Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?(probably no)
History - (He uses to eat every day as usual except today)

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Screen) What are the dimensions?(18''x18''x36'')
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?(Exo Terra Solar Glo 125W) What is your daily lighting schedule?(4-5hours a day,I turn the lighting on 1 hour every time)
Temperature - (70 ambient, 80-85 basking)
Humidity - (70-80) How are you creating and maintaining these levels?(I spray very often and there are plenty of live plants in his enclosure.)
Plants - Are you using live plants?(Yes) If so, what kind?(ficus and pothos plants)
Placement - Where is your cage located?(in my Balcony) Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?(no)
Location - Hong Kong

....you need to fill out the form that we have linked twice now....I would also attach a picture of the stuck poop and what his feces look like. Is he trying to continue pooping and can't? Are you sure it isn't a sperm plug?

Here it is again; just copy and paste it (or "quote" my post) and fill it out...

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
I've uploaded som pictures,hope it can help.

Attachments

• DSC01544.JPG
    DSC01544.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC01545.JPG
    DSC01545.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 168
I would also attach a picture of the stuck poop and what his feces look like. Is he trying to continue pooping and can't? Are you sure it isn't a sperm plug?
He isn't trying to continue pooping.I think he has ignored it and I'm pretty sure it's a poop...

It doesn't look like poop, it looks like a sperm plug. You could try misting a whole lot to see if it comes off naturally, normally they dislodge in the course of regular moving about.

A couple of thoughts. 1) you've only had the chameleon a week so it's not likely you've done anything that's caused it a problem (this is meant to reassure you) 2) sleeping during the day is a serious issue, at least as serious as vomiting to my mind.

I'm not experienced with Dubia roaches so don't know if 3 adults every other day is ample, but your description of the poop sounds like maybe he's not getting quite enough food. Most people would describe normal poop as brown or grey with a whitish tip.

As you mentioned yellow in your description, I would add a dripper so there is water dripping for hours at a time rather than a few minutes.

It doesn't look like poop, it looks like a sperm plug. You could try misting a whole lot to see if it comes off naturally, normally they dislodge in the course of regular moving about.

A couple of thoughts. 1) you've only had the chameleon a week so it's not likely you've done anything that's caused it a problem (this is meant to reassure you) 2) sleeping during the day is a serious issue, at least as serious as vomiting to my mind.

I'm not experienced with Dubia roaches so don't know if 3 adults every other day is ample, but your description of the poop sounds like maybe he's not getting quite enough food. Most people would describe normal poop as brown or grey with a whitish tip.

As you mentioned yellow in your description, I would add a dripper so there is water dripping for hours at a time rather than a few minutes.

I've forgotten to mention that the white stuff came out exactly after his poop lol.Maybe it's just a sperm plug in your description.I'll try misting very often.I think he's doing good right now because he had just felt asleep for a while during day after he vomited and now he's looking good.Well,I'm doubting that may be his vomit was caused by the grasshoper and 2crickets because it was my first time to feed them to my kid.By the way,I'll keep feeding him Dubia roaches in this week and hope he won't refuse to eat tommorow.

You need a uvb light! preferably a tube one
12 hours a day of light is what most people give for Chameleons.
you need a plain Calcium (no d3) for everday dusting.
the d3 is used twice per month usually.

Hi, hope I can offer some ideas that should help. I will put my ideas is red so they are easy to see.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - (panther chameleon:sambava), (male), (and about 1 year old). How long has it been in your care?-(1 week)
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?-(every day)I would not hold him for a while and give him time to get used to you. I always give mine a week to 10 days.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?-(dubia roaches) Adult dubia are pretty big, are you taking off the legs and wings? Same with a grasshopper, and some grasshoppers are toxic be real careful, that could also be why he vomitedWhat is the schedule?(2-3 adult dubia every other day) How are you gut-loading your feeders?(I feeds them with carrot every other day) We will go into this a lot more in a week after the rest is fixed. for now just add some sweet potato, or collard greens, or mustard grees to his carrots & feed the carrots daily. They need water also
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?(Rep-Cal calcium with vit D3)(about 3times a week) you also need calcium with no d3 & and a multi vitaman. use the no d3 calcium 3 times a week, use calcium +d3 2 times a month also use the multi vitamin 2 times a month dust very lightly
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use?(mister) How often and how long to you mist?(I mist every 1-2hours) Do you see your chameleon drinking?(yes,but not usual)as was mentioned add a dripper that drips most of the day. even a plastic bottle with a tiny hole in it will work
Fecal Description - (light green&yellow) Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?(probably no)These colors show you he is dehydrated and needs to drink lots more water. Use warn water and mist him several times a day for at least 2 minutes a time. If he doesn't like it, too bad he needs it

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Screen) What are the dimensions?(18''x18''x36'')He would do better with a 24 x24 x48 if you can get one - what you have is a little small for him
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?(Exo Terra Solar Glo 125W) What is your daily lighting schedule?(4-5hours a day,I turn the lighting on 1 hour every time)His lights both UVB and heat should be on for 12 hours a day. Try to match the light cycle outside
Temperature - (70 ambient, 80-85 basking)
Humidity - (70-80) How are you creating and maintaining these levels?(I spray very often and there are plenty of live plants in his enclosure.)
Plants - Are you using live plants?(Yes) If so, what kind?(ficus and pothos plants)
Placement - Where is your cage located?(in my Balcony) Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?(no)
Location - Hong Kong

Also that is a sperm plug, spray it and if it doesn't come out, you can very gently pull it out. It is gross to have to do, but sometimes we have too.

Let me know if you have any other colors and I will try to help.

Reactions: Hoj
You need a uvb light! preferably a tube one
12 hours a day of light is what most people give for Chameleons.
you need a plain Calcium (no d3) for everday dusting.
the d3 is used twice per month usually.

The Exo Terra Solar Glo 125W is a UVB light, but yes, 12 hours on is best.

I think Laurie has this covered, but just to beat a dead horse...

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?-(dubia roaches) What is the schedule?(2-3 adult dubia every other day) Adults as in fully formed adults? In my experience these are both too big and a bit of a waste. I feed mine "large" dubia nymphs (basically one or two molts before they are full adult; about 1" in size) and leave the adults to keep breeding more. I feed 3-5 large nymphs every day.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?(Rep-Cal calcium with vit D3)(about 3times a week) JUST calcium - daily; Calc+D3 2x a month; Multivit 2x a month

Misting - how often do you mist each time (30seconds, 60 seconds, etc)? when you say mister you are talking about an automated misting system right?

Fecal Description - (light green&yellow) Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?(probably no) Green is not normal. Is it runny or dry?

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Screen) What are the dimensions?(18''x18''x36'') Little small; he needs 24x24x48 ideally
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using?(Exo Terra Solar Glo 125W) What is your daily lighting schedule?(4-5hours a day,I turn the lighting on 1 hour every time) I do not understand what you mean here...the light is on 4-5h hours a day? what does it mean you turn the light on 1 hour everytime? It should be on ~12 hours a day continuous (I do 830am-830pm for my lights)

Also, as per the other thread on the light, I'd recommend getting a 5.0 and a separate basking bulb. The bulb you have does produce UVB and heat but I simply have not heard much from other users experience on this bulb and the research I managed to do showed it did not produce substantial amounts of UVB.

Placement - Where is your cage located?(in my Balcony) Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?(no) Does the cage get some good sunlight in the balcony? If it gets good sunlight, then I think you are okay with the bulb you are currently using (because he can get extra uvb directly from the sunlight :))
Location - Hong Kong

Does anyone know the UVB output of the bulb he is using?? I am unable to find any trustworthy numbers on it :(:

Back
Top Bottom