multiple chams in one cage??

erik775

Established Member
ok so i was wondering ...how big does a cage have to be to keep like 4 chams in???because i was thinking of building a pretty big cage...any advice...and does any one have multiple chams living together in a big enclosure???

i wouldnt do 4 chams in one cage, unles it was like 10x10x10.

and even then, it would only be 1 male, and 3 females.

and id still be too nervous to do it.

It would have to be massive, also depends on each of the chams personalities. I would advise against it though. Chams can get pretty territorial.

It would have to be massive bro. I was thinking of building one too. I know the home depot is right down the steeet for me off of gale lol

dam...lol...thats what i was thinking too the whole territorial thing and i was also thinking about how my chams act around each other...i think my ambilobe would be ok with it but not my nosy or sambava...hmmmmm...

Two would be cool I think.... I know im in there all the time too! Lol
Cham cages and construction projects, im there lol

i think 2 maybe. but again, depends on personality.

Jannb has some panthers who love to chill with each other, but her loiue hates them all.

Two would be cool I think.... I know im in there all the time too! Lol
Cham cages and construction projects, im there lol

I have experimented with this a little and I have found that although most people say 1 male 2 or 3 females....that is the worst.

What you CAN do, is a few males together. Trick is to raise them together and give them each their own basking spots.

Some zoos I went to in Europe, particularly the Amsterdam Zoo did it very well, had a big 5x8x10 (approx) cage with several veiled males, and a separate cage the same size with about 8 female veileds. Everyone was happy, colorful, etc.

I did notice that the males appeared to do better, they were more colorful, and 'cool with it'. The females, some were dark and clearly not doing as well.

Totally opposite of what is accepted in the chameleon hobby, but it works if you do it right.

I kept 4 panther males in a room about 10x7' and they all did pretty well the 9-10 months it lasted. Then I moved and decided I preferred to go back to cages over free ranging, not to mention that I sold/gave away most of my panthers. But before I set them all loose in the room I would open up all the cage doors and let them roam the room at will with me sitting in there having coffee or whatnot. They all were pretty comfortable with each other so that's why I decided to go ahead with it.

So I suggest you test everyone's reactions to each other for a few weeks before you consider a change. Some males are a lot more aggressive than others, so their personalities are going to have a lot to do with it. Some of mine were very aggressive towards me but not at all towards each other.

Also, if you go ahead with it make sure you have lots of basking spots - at least one per male in there. They may bask together or they may want nothing to do with each other, it's up to them to decide.

All this being said, I wouldn't try it until I feel I am sure that I know my chameleons well, so that I can spot differences in habit or personality that may signal issues. It's different making sure a group is ok over a single individual in a cage.

I have a very large outdoor cage and I cannot put my two chams together no way. I just got the other one so they do not know each other at all but there they are flaring and gaping at each other as soon as they spot each other. I would not do it unless hey show no aggression toward each other which would be rare. There are a few people on here like JannB who has two of her chams that get along great. i guess you would could try and just see how it goes.

thanks guys...im going to see how they act towards each for like a week or 2...i hope they get along...lol...

Back
Top Bottom