Moringa leave - possible gutload?

One benefit from the leaves for veiled owners is it is not high in oxylates from what I can see. I have also seen some claims of young iguanas benefiting from eating the plants, but as far as I know they mainly eat insects as babies, so I don't put much weight behind that claim.

Here are some somewhat interesting articles and sources...

http://www.tfljournal.org/article.php/20051201124931586
http://www.treesforlife.org/our-work/our-initiatives/moringa

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...vfqch8UH41RnjnqwmLovvA&bvm=bv.145063293,d.amc

Native range
India, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen, Republic of (from above source)
If this is accurate I would think that Veiled chameleons are likely eating insects (as well as leaves) that are naturally gut-loading on these leaves.

http://www.mobot.org/gradstudents/olson/moringahome.html

I have not read any of these, but here are some books that should be available...

Books
Lowell J. Fuglie, The Miracle Tree/Moringa oleifera: Natural Nutrition for the Tropics, Dakar, Senegal: Church World Service, 1999.

Gopalan et al, Nutritive Value of Indian Foods, Hyderabad, India: National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, 1971 (Revised 1989).

Monica G. Marcu, Miracle Tree, KOS Health Publications, 2005.

Sanford Holst, Moringa: Nature's Medicine Cabinet, Sierra Sunrise Books, 2000.

Not lizards, but...
Humans are not the only species which values the tree as an excellent food source. The small elliptic compound leaves are a favorite snack of passing camels. Monkeys and sambar deer break off and chew on the slender branches. The soft roots, similar in taste to those of the horseradish plant, are excavated by pigs and porcupines (Sahni 1998). M. oleifera serves as a buffet of diverse flavors for the denizens of the forest and beyond.

Perhaps @Extensionofgreen may have some input about the properties of this tree and its parts?

I would caution against claims on ANY commercial products available with these unregulated products. Look at the scientific studies for better information. The sources could be manipulated because there is no actual standard when it comes to these tests. We do not know if the tested item is just simply the raw leaf, or if the item has been altered in any way so it is difficult to know what the results will tell.

All this considered, it does appear to me to be a good additive to a gut-load for nutritional benefits. As stated, for veiled chameleons, I think it could be a good source of vegetation.

I have been in the hospital for my second surgery in a week and have had very little time to follow through with many postings.
My school of thought ( I have used moringa fruit powder ) is that any plant-based, nutrient-dense item, that doesn't contain large amounts of nutrient antagonist, such as oxilates, phosphorus ( only a few fruits have a favorable Ca to Phosphorus ratio ), or phyllates is a great addition to a gutload. My own gutload is a mixture of varying plant-based proteins, nuts, bee pollen, and strategically chosen fruit powders. Nuts.com is an awesome resource, with free shipping on larger orders. I spend about $300 on 11lbs of gutload, every 2-3 months.

Thanks soooo much for all the wonderful feedback! Looks like Moringa might be a new winner! If I do not find any info convincing me not to use it, it will go in to my next batch of dry gutload!

I am always researching the art of gutloading! I truely believe that one of the main items that contributes to chameleon health and longevity lies in the art of gutloading! I also found for myself that for my own personal human body gutloading affects how I feel quite dramatically! In my search regarding my own body, I wondered upon the Super food Moringa Oleifera! The leaves are an storehouse loaded with nutrients!

I was wondering if anyone here on the forums have ever tried it as a gutload and what all our gutload experts here on the forums think of the possibility of us starting to use it as a gutload!

Everyone join in and let's figure this out! Feedback craved!

Thanks for your time!
Moringa leaves can be a nutritious gutload for certain types of animals, particularly herbivorous reptiles and insects. Gutloading is the practice of feeding nutrient-rich foods to animals before they are fed to pets to ensure that they are receiving optimal nutrition. Moringa leaves are particularly high in protein, vitamins, and minerals, making them an excellent choice for gutloading.

For example, Moringa leaves can be fed to herbivorous reptiles such as iguanas, tortoises, and bearded dragons, as well as insects such as crickets and mealworms. The leaves can be fed fresh or dried and powdered, and can be added to other gutload ingredients such as fruits and vegetables.

In addition to being a nutritious gutload, Moringa leaves may also have some health benefits for animals. Studies have suggested that Moringa leaves may have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, as well as potential benefits for immune function and gut health.

It is important to note that not all animals will benefit from a diet that includes Moringa leaves, and it is always recommended to consult with a veterinarian or animal nutritionist before making any changes to your pet's diet.

Back
Top Bottom