Monstera Deliciosa (Swiss Cheese Plant)

AZJ0SH

I have been using Monstera Deliciosa in my enclosure for a few months now, and I just came across a post on here saying it's toxic, except for the fruit? (mine doesn't grow fruit)

I read on the FLChams 'Safe Plant List' that the Monstera deliciosa is safe for chameleons, so I am a bit confused.

I could not find any info online saying it's toxic, but I don't want to risk harming my chameleon. He hasn't ever chomped on the plants, the only plants he eats are the pothos leaves.

I love the plant because of the big leaves and how fast it grows new leaves, but don't want to do any harm to my chameleon, any advice?\

Here is a picture I found on google of what it looks like for refrence, my cham loves the shade under the big leaves at times, esepcially during mistings haha

Monstera_deliciosa.jpg

That's a super cool looking plant. I've no idea if it's toxic or not but I would think FL chams would be correct, someone else will chime in though.

That's a super cool looking plant. I've no idea if it's toxic or not but I would think FL chams would be correct, someone else will chime in though.

Yeah my chameleon loves it, and when it sprouts a new branch, that branch will grow 1-2 inches a day, very fast compared to most plants. Plus they remind me more of jungle-style leaves compared to my pothos and schleffera.

I might have to get one for my adult cage when it's time to switch. Where did you get it? Did you have to go to a specialty nursery or did you find it in a common place like home depot?

I might have to get one for my adult cage when it's time to switch. Where did you get it? Did you have to go to a specialty nursery or did you find it in a common place like home depot?

I actually took cuttings off my moms, and she purchased it over 7 years ago from Home Depot. I am not sure if they sell them there anymore, I have never seen them myself.

So any word on the toxicitiy? I searched around online, not a single page I found claims it's toxic, so I have no idea where the other person got their info. Hmmmm.

It's slightly toxic in mammals due to oxalic acid. But you need to eat a lot of these plants to get any symptoms. Didn't have any problems in chameleon cages yet, that's propbably why it's called safe. Even ficus are slightly toxic in mammals, but they're always advised as safe chameleon plants.

It's slightly toxic in mammals due to oxalic acid. But you need to eat a lot of these plants to get any symptoms. Didn't have any problems in chameleon cages yet, that's propbably why it's called safe. Even ficus are slightly toxic in mammals, but they're always advised as safe chameleon plants.

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

15 years

I have been using split leafs for a long long time with NO issues they grow great in cages and the green house.

I have been using split leafs for a long long time with NO issues they grow great in cages and the green house.

Yeah I am addicted tot his plant, I got some more growing in the kitchen now by the window, I plan to use them for outdoor basking.

These things grow like crazy, I had 2 more pop up this weekend and already grew 4-5".

question!!

i have a sun room with the same plant in it... today i saw my panther munching on the brown stems where the new leaves sprout from. should i continue to let him eat leaves? i have never seen him eat any plants befor

Back
Top Bottom