Monarch Butterflies?

The monarch caterpillars are beautiful. Their bright coloration is a warning of their yucky taste and mild toxicity (for birds and mammals). Even the vicerory can give them a bit of a tummy ache.
I am not that familiar with the other species. I know most here will err to the side of caution, and say don't let them eat if you're not sure.

You'll notice the mantis will avoid the wings of the monarch, which is where most of the toxicity will be in it's adult form. To be honest I am actually not so sure how toxic the adult butterflies are as I've read it's just a bitterness. The caterpillars are undoubtedly toxic, however. Still wouldn't feed them.

As far as the passion vine, stay away from those caterpillars, it could be a few different ones but most of them are adorned with venomous spikes that can even harm humans if you're not careful.

The vine is called a passion flower and these aterpillars/butterflies love them, so finding the proper name for everything, are the toxic to chameleons still?

You might of gotten the orange colored Gulf Fritillary butterfly mixed up with Monarch. The host plants for Gulf Fritillary caterpillars are a variety of passion flower species.

Back
Top Bottom