mold in my fruit fly cultures?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BocaJan, Jul 8, 2010.

1. BocaJan

BocaJan
    Expand Collapse

Anyone know why I am getting mold in my ff cultures? I have followed posted recipes but invariably after about a week I get mold and you don't gestate many fruit flies with moldy culture media.

2. carol5208

carol5208
    Expand Collapse
    Chameleon Enthusiast

hi, I dont know anything about the mold! But, i know you are in Florida and so am I. You gave me the vets number(thank you) Any idea where I can get some silk worms of horn worms. My cham is not wanting to eat crickets all the sudden and Alls I have are superworms. Thanks for your help!

3. BocaJan

BocaJan
    Expand Collapse

Only 2 places I know are Underground and Ben Siegals.

4. carol5208

carol5208
    Expand Collapse
    Chameleon Enthusiast

ok thanks!

5. CleaTheChameleon

CleaTheChameleon
    Expand Collapse

It may be to moist. That my only guess

6. james L

james L
    Expand Collapse
    Established Member

FF's in S.FL are just a pain! It may just be a little to warm and humid. It happens to mine. If the flies are fine, I would say use them, but if it looks like the mold is doing any real damage, ditch em. Thats sort of my method. I also try and keep my cultures near a A/C vent, but be warned they do dry out if kept near one for to long.

7. jannb

jannb
    Expand Collapse
    Chameleon Enthusiast

If it's black in the bottom don't use them. Lizbeth lost 2 clutchs of panther babies (over 60 babies) at the same time with fruit flies where the food/stuff in the bottom turned black.

8. BocaJan

BocaJan
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone have any tried and true culture recipes? mine is just baby oatmeal, banana, vinegar and a sprinkle of yeast.

9. kearth

kearth
    Expand Collapse

I got one that works great. I make about 20-25 cultures a week and 95% of them time I dont have a problem.

I also sell it on my web site and have had no complaints.

Shoot me a pm and I willsend you the recipe.

10. FFSTRescue

FFSTRescue
    Expand Collapse

The Fruit Fly Shop (www.buyfruitflies.com) sells a mold inhibitor (methyl paraben powder) that works really well to prevent mold. I buy their FF food which has the mold inhibitor in it and I never have mold problems

11. Warrix642

Warrix642
    Expand Collapse

My room is very hot and humid but Snail-Tail-Flies cultures worked for over a month! I would get some from him or buy his mix. He claims he can get your FF cultures going cheaper than anyone in the US because he buys in bulk. I am about to get some more from him!

Dustin