Help with my first chameleon!

chapeudechuva

Hello! I am in Portugal. I'm using Google Translate to make this post!

I have a female chameleon for 4 months! (She came to me at 4 months old, so in total she is 8 months old).

She is a chameleon from Yemen!

In the last month thanks to the forum I have learned a lot! Thank you very much to all!

As a beginner I would like help to know if I'm on a good path with her, because being a beginner is always full of doubts!

I leave all the information here:

Terrarium: 45 x 45 x 60 cm (EXO TERRA)
Lighting: 26W UVB 10.0
Plants: Wandering Jew (the one with purple leaves)

I'm leaving pictures of the entire terrarium!

DOUBTS:

1- Is my terrarium adequate? And the lighting?

2 - After I studied a lot here on the forum I changed my terrarium to how it is currently. I put more plants and "hiding places" and this ended up creating places with "shade" where the light from the lamp does not reach. Today for the first time I saw "mold / mold" in the terrarium, in the substrate, in the area where there is a shadow and the light does not reach. I got desperate and removed the moldy part (there's a photo below) and removed all the wet substrate! Now with so many hiding places out of reach of light, some corners are getting wet substrate even though the entire terrarium has already dried up from the water I sprayed. What can I do?
I saw that buying COLLEMBOLS and putting them in the terrarium helps to treat "Mold", do I do that? Can I add another UBV lambada to have other lighting corners? I'm feeling that one leaves the terrarium dark on the other side (you can see it in the photo).

3- Two weeks ago she came to me with these dark green spots on her body. In the past it was all light green, and changed color with contact with the light of the lamp (of course, because it absorbs light) but that's it, now it has these dark "stripes" that are present in it almost always. When she goes to sleep they "lighten" a little... but I still don't understand if it's normal or not. So to understand: they lighten, «m, darken... I've already researched about burns but that doesn't seem to be it, visually it's different!

I appreciate everyone's attention!
Thanks!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.52.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.52.09.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 49
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.56.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 42
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.49.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.49.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 55
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.42.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.42.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 51
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.27.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 54
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.14.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.14.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 45
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.51.06.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 52
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.50.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.50.56.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 48
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.50.25 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 12.50.25 (1).jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 50
Hello and welcome to the forums. She is a female veiled chameleon. I have one too and they are beautiful creatures!

#1 - Veiled chameleons are known to eat plants so remove any fake plants in your enclosure. She could eat a piece of a fake plant and get very sick or die. Use only live plants from the chameleon-safe plant list.

#2 - Use real branches in lieu of those flexible artificial vines from the pet store. The real branches can be zip tied together or you can use floral wire. Just make sure the ends are cut flush so there are no sharp edges.

#3 - Get a 18”, 6% linear T5HO bulb for UVB light. I attached a picture below.

#4 - when you arrange your branches and live plants, make sure there is an open basking area under your basking light. And measure the basking spot with a heat sensing probe, so you have an appropriate and safe temperature. Consider where the top of her casque will be relative to the branch. If her casque sits 2” above the branch, measure that spot.

Attachments

• 568FC725-8EAF-44A8-BF6B-4CEA39E9CAF7.jpeg
    568FC725-8EAF-44A8-BF6B-4CEA39E9CAF7.jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 35
Hello and welcome to the forums. She is a female veiled chameleon. I have one too and they are beautiful creatures!

#1 - Veiled chameleons are known to eat plants so remove any fake plants in your enclosure. She could eat a piece of a fake plant and get very sick or die. Use only live plants from the chameleon-safe plant list.

#2 - Use real branches in lieu of those flexible artificial vines from the pet store. The real branches can be zip tied together or you can use floral wire. Just make sure the ends are cut flush so there are no sharp edges.

#3 - Get a 18”, 6% linear T5HO bulb for UVB light. I attached a picture below.

#4 - when you arrange your branches and live plants, make sure there is an open basking area under your basking light. And measure the basking spot with a heat sensing probe, so you have an appropriate and safe temperature. Consider where the top of her casque will be relative to the branch. If her casque sits 2” above the branch, measure that spot.
1690720779632.png

Hello! Thank you very much for your answer!
Was that the lamp? Would it be 24, 39 or 54?

Give me a few minutes, I'm going over everything for you :)
Thank you for the help!
I've been worried for days! Everything makes me think. For every answer to a question, 3 new questions appear..!

She ate only 4 crickets the day before yesterday (in the table I saw here, she should have eaten 10), so yesterday she didn't eat because I saw that we should give food every other day, today I went to give her crickets and she ate only 3... but I I looked at her and she is "belly" I think she ate the errant jew plant for the first time, because yesterday she was moving and getting very close to the plant, and today I seem to have seen 2 or 3 visible bites on the leaves!

Everything has me worried!

What a beautiful girl you have!! I also have a female Yemen chameleon! :) I am also happy to hear that you have learned a lot here! I have as well.

Isn't Google translate amazing? So glad you can be here from Portugal, warmest welcomes!

A few things that I can see that do need to change right away:

1. Has she ever laid eggs? Your sweet girl will lay infertile eggs much like a chicken will. Yemen chameleons reach maturity around 6 months or so that will need to be the first thing we figure out. There is one picture you shared that looks like she may have eggs in her tummy, can you send a few more pictures of her please?
2. In your set up I only see a heat lamp, where you using any UVB for her? If so, what were you using?
3. Your beautiful girl is an arboreal lizard, meaning she lives her whole life in the trees. She will need a 2 foot by 2 foot by 4 foot tall enclosure, like this one here

Lastly, will you please copy the form below and fill it out in a separate post. This form gives us all the information that we need to help you best. The more information and detail you can share with us the better ;)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Thank you for the help!
I've been worried for days! Everything makes me think. For every answer to a question, 3 new questions appear..!

She ate only 4 crickets the day before yesterday (in the table I saw here, she should have eaten 10), so yesterday she didn't eat because I saw that we should give food every other day, today I went to give her crickets and she ate only 3... but I I looked at her and she is "belly" I think she ate the errant jew plant for the first time, because yesterday she was moving and getting very close to the plant, and today I seem to have seen 2 or 3 visible bites on the leaves!

Everything has me worried!
I'm the same way. I have a million questions and everything makes me worry. You are in the right place though to get help and support for your little one.

She should only be eating 3-5 feeders every other day.

Yemen chameleons tend to eat vegetation - mine does VERY often. This is ok, we believe they do this to help digest all the bugs they would eat in nature. What we need to do as keepers is make sure that all plants in the enclosure are safe for them to eat. Ive attached a form below that gives you a list of safe plants for your girl. You will need to replace all your plastic plants for live ones. If she eats the plastic plant, even on accident it can cause impaction which can be fatal.

Attachments

• Plants.png
    Plants.png
    887.8 KB · Views: 45
I'm the same way. I have a million questions and everything makes me worry. You are in the right place though to get help and support for your little one.

She should only be eating 3-5 feeders every other day.

Yemen chameleons tend to eat vegetation - mine does VERY often. This is ok, we believe they do this to help digest all the bugs they would eat in nature. What we need to do as keepers is make sure that all plants in the enclosure are safe for them to eat. Ive attached a form below that gives you a list of safe plants for your girl. You will need to replace all your plastic plants for live ones. If she eats the plastic plant, even on accident it can cause impaction which can be fatal.
I don't know how to thank you!
Your help is calming me down a lot!
Thanks for the list, I'll take care of it right away!

What a beautiful girl you have!! I also have a female Yemen chameleon! :) I am also happy to hear that you have learned a lot here! I have as well.

Isn't Google translate amazing? So glad you can be here from Portugal, warmest welcomes!

A few things that I can see that do need to change right away:

1. Has she ever laid eggs? Your sweet girl will lay infertile eggs much like a chicken will. Yemen chameleons reach maturity around 6 months or so that will need to be the first thing we figure out. There is one picture you shared that looks like she may have eggs in her tummy, can you send a few more pictures of her please?
2. In your set up I only see a heat lamp, where you using any UVB for her? If so, what were you using?
3. Your beautiful girl is an arboreal lizard, meaning she lives her whole life in the trees. She will need a 2 foot by 2 foot by 4 foot tall enclosure, like this one here

Lastly, will you please copy the form below and fill it out in a separate post. This form gives us all the information that we need to help you best. The more information and detail you can share with us the better ;)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -
1- She has never laid eggs (and I am VERY surprised to find out that she will even do not have a male chameleon)! I'll upload a picture of her in a few moments! Do you need the photo in any specific way?

2- Yes, I only have one lamp in the terrarium, it's this one: 26W UVB 10.0! It was sold to me by the store where I bought it (I also have a ceramic lamp that emits heat in the winter! But I'm not using it, it's kept, because in the summer it's obvious I wouldn't need it haha).
Should I be wearing something else? That bulb you showed me is long and looks great for picking up the whole terrarium!

3- The terrarium I have certainly needs to be changed to a narrower and taller one, doesn't it? Hers currently has: 45 x 45 x 60 cm. I will remove all fake plants! Can you tell me if I pick branches from common trees in the street, garden or parks, is there any harm? Or does the branch need to be treated?

1- She has never laid eggs (and I am VERY surprised to find out that she will even do not have a male chameleon)! I'll upload a picture of her in a few moments! Do you need the photo in any specific way?

2- Yes, I only have one lamp in the terrarium, it's this one: 26W UVB 10.0! It was sold to me by the store where I bought it (I also have a ceramic lamp that emits heat in the winter! But I'm not using it, it's kept, because in the summer it's obvious I wouldn't need it haha).
Should I be wearing something else? That bulb you showed me is long and looks great for picking up the whole terrarium!

3- The terrarium I have certainly needs to be changed to a narrower and taller one, doesn't it? Hers currently has: 45 x 45 x 60 cm. I will remove all fake plants! Can you tell me if I pick branches from common trees in the street, garden or parks, is there any harm? Or does the branch need to be treated?
1. I was surprised to learn that as well. Yemen females will lay eggs about every 4 months. If your girl is 8 months old she most likely should have laid her first clutch already so this is my first concern. Just try to send photos with different angels and some specifically around her belly area. I believe I may be able to see some eggs now but that could just be the position she is in. You will need to get her a lay bin in her enclosure ASAP. I have a plastic bin with 50% washed play sand and 50% dirt. The substrate mixture is wet enough that my girl can dig a tunnel and the tunnel will hold. I've attached photos of my lay bin for my Yemen girl for your reference as well as a form with more information on egg laying bins. I am going to tag some people who have far more experience with egg laying than I do. @MissSkittles @kinyonga @Beman

2. Understood, thanks for explaining that! Unfortunately those coil or spring UVB bulbs do not work effectively and she may not be getting any UVB. This is what I use for my Yemen chameleon. My hood for the bulb. This is the bulb I use, it is a T5HO 6% 34 inches long. You could also use this light instead.

3. Yes your terrarium does need to be a lot larger. The ones I have for my chameleons I could easily sit inside them just to give you an idea of how big they are. You can certainly get branches from trees. That is what I use. Just do not use any branches from sap producing trees. Branches need to be washed with soap and hot water and left outside in the sun to dry before putting them in the enclosure. Ive attached photos of 2 my enclosures for you to view as an example for sticks, plants and ideas of enclosure sizes. My Yemen girl is in a 26x 18x 36 inch enclosure which is also an acceptable size for your girl.

Attachments

• Lay Bin.jpg
    Lay Bin.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-7310.jpg
    IMG-7310.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-7309.jpg
    IMG-7309.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG-7294.jpg
    IMG-7294.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-7311.jpg
    IMG-7311.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 41
1. Fiquei surpreso ao saber disso também. As fêmeas do Iêmen põem ovos a cada 4 meses. Se sua filha tem 8 meses, ela provavelmente já deveria ter colocado sua primeira embreagem, então esta é minha primeira preocupação. Apenas tente enviar fotos com diferentes anjos e alguns especificamente em torno de sua barriga. Acredito que posso ver alguns ovos agora, mas pode ser apenas a posição em que ela está. Você precisará providenciar uma lixeira para ela em seu recinto o mais rápido possível. Eu tenho uma lixeira de plástico com 50% de areia lavada e 50% de sujeira. A mistura de substrato está molhada o suficiente para que minha garota possa cavar um túnel e o túnel aguentar. Anexei fotos da minha lixeira para minha garota do Iêmen para sua referência, bem como um formulário com mais informações sobre lixeiras para postura de ovos. Vou marcar algumas pessoas que têm muito mais experiência com postura de ovos do que eu.

2. Entendido, obrigado por explicar isso! Infelizmente, essas lâmpadas UVB de mola ou bobina não funcionam de forma eficaz e ela pode não estar recebendo nenhum UVB. Isso é o que eu uso para o meu camaleão do Iêmen. Meu capuz para a lâmpada . Esta é a lâmpada que eu uso, é uma T5HO 6% 34 polegadas de comprimento . Você também pode usar essa luz.

3. Sim, seu terrário precisa ser muito maior. Os que tenho para meus camaleões, eu poderia facilmente sentar dentro deles só para dar uma ideia de quão grandes eles são. Você certamente pode obter galhos de árvores. Isso é o que eu uso. Só não use galhos de árvores produtoras de seiva. Os galhos devem ser lavados com sabão e água quente e deixados ao sol para secar antes de serem colocados no cercado. Anexei fotos de 2 meus gabinetes para você ver como um exemplo de gravetos, plantas e ideias de tamanhos de gabinetes. Minha garota do Iêmen está em um gabinete de 26 x 18 x 36 polegadas, que também é um tamanho aceitável para sua garota.
Hello! Apologies for the delay!

1- I have attached several pictures of her! And it looks to me like there's something right down there near the back legs. She also just ate some crickets. About the eggs, would this "sand" tell me where I can find them? Here in Portugal if I search for "sand to play" I only get children's stuff and colored children's sand hahahaha! Tomorrow I'm going to buy some more humid gardening soil first thing in the morning to make her the place to lay eggs!

2 - Thank you! I already found a site here that sells the lamp that you use with the support also to place it!

3- I just bought a canvas terrarium in the measurements you informed me, thank you! I know my girl will feel much happier!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.28.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.28.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 48
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.27 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.27 (1).jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 42
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.27.jpeg
    229.1 KB · Views: 53
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.26 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.26 (1).jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 45
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.26.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.26.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 44
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.25 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.25 (1).jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 44
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.25.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.25.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 41
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.24.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 17.02.24.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 47
Not a problem.

It still looks to me like she is carrying eggs. @MissSkittles and @Sonny13 you both have helped me a lot with my girl and her eggs, what do you think?

This is the washed play sand that I use. If you cannot find the same thing in Portugal, perhaps the example will help you find something similar. I mix the sand with this organic soil. You do not want soil with perlite or those little fertilizer balls - you want as natural as possible.

Another important thing is what supplements have you been using for her? Developing eggs takes up a lot of calcium and uses a lot of energy so we need to check that as well.

Not a problem.

It still looks to me like she is carrying eggs. @MissSkittles and @Sonny13 you both have helped me a lot with my girl and her eggs, what do you think?

This is the washed play sand that I use. If you cannot find the same thing in Portugal, perhaps the example will help you find something similar. I mix the sand with this organic soil. You do not want soil with perlite or those little fertilizer balls - you want as natural as possible.

Another important thing is what supplements have you been using for her? Developing eggs takes up a lot of calcium and uses a lot of energy so we need to check that as well.
I went out to the supermarket now and I didn't find any soil, I won't be able to see it until tomorrow at a flower shop.

But I tried something, tell me if it's bad!

I had substrate here, made from coconut fiber, 100% natural, the one in the image below. It was enough for a depth of 13 cm, I wet it a lot, if I press it down it makes a hole and it doesn't take long, but without pressing it it comes loose. I did it just to have something for her there until tomorrow.. I got worried since they say females die if they can't lay eggs.. that scared me..

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 19.54.06 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 19.54.06 (1).jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 46
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 19.54.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 19.54.06.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 47
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 19.54.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 19.54.05.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 34
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 19.54.04.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-07-30 at 19.54.04.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 47
  • screen-19.59.48[30.07.2023].png
    screen-19.59.48[30.07.2023].png
    531.7 KB · Views: 41
I'm not sure honestly. I do not use coconut fiber in my enclosures at all. I am not sure if that causes an impaction concern or not. I'll let someone with more experience chime in on that.

What size is your lay bin? The depth of 13 cm should be just fine.

Eu não tenho certeza honestamente. Eu não uso fibra de coco em meus gabinetes. Não tenho certeza se isso causa uma preocupação de impactação ou não. Vou deixar alguém com mais experiência falar sobre isso.

Qual o tamanho da sua lixeira? A profundidade de 13 cm deve ser suficiente.
About 25 cm long and then 13 cm deep!

Hi and welcome! You’ve been getting some excellent advice so far. The coconut fiber is too loose for lay bins. You need something that will hold a tunnel without collapsing. Play sand is the same sand that we put in children’s sand boxes. It’s a natural sand that if she does accidentally eat it, she will be able to pass it. If you aren’t able to find the correct sand, you can use organic garden soil that has no additives - is just plain soil. Your lay bin needs to be preferably 30 cm long and wide and then you fill it to 12-15cm deep with the substrate. When you see her starting to dig, you need to give her total privacy. If she sees anyone, she will stop digging and can become egg bound. I must be honest with you. Since she has not had correct uvb and I don’t know what supplements you’ve given her, she may have problems laying her eggs and need a veterinarian who is experienced with chameleons. However, she is climbing up to reach the uvb and so I believe she has maybe gotten herself a little bit. I want you to prepare for her to lay eggs and in the meanwhile, start preparing to make changes to everything. So very many of us have had to do the same thing. @elizaann2 is giving you the best help and so things don’t get confusing, I’ll leave the rest for her. I’m so very glad that you found your way here. 💗

Back
Top Bottom