Mercury vapor bulbs

christineacero

I read somewhere on here that mercury vapor bulbs produce UVA, UVB and heat. I was wondering if these would be okay for 2 Mt. Meru Jacksons chams? The wattage seems high on these bulbs, but maybe someone with experience with them could chime in on whether or not this is a good buy? I like the idea of having only 1 ballast on each cage instead of 2.

I don't recommend them unless on a large free range on non-montane species. They get very hot and by the time you get them far enough away from your Jackson to get the temps correct then they probably want be getting any UV.

yeah that's kinda what I was thinking. I know their care is very similar to the sternfeldi that I have, and their basking bulb is only 50W. I guess I'll just stick to those then!:)

I have a UVB meter and have measured the UVB output of a 100W PowerSun bulb. At least with the (new) bulb I have, it outputs less UVB than a CFL at the same distance, although I don't remember the exact numbers.

Although it does not get as hot as an incandescent bulb of the same wattage, it still gets very hot and your enclosure would have to be able to handle the heat at a distance that gets enough UVB. Much easier if you have a meter.

However, even if set up properly it forces the chameleon to get both UVB and heat at the same time. I have only used the MVB in my veiled's cage in combination with independent heat and CFL UVB, and he usually seemed to like the independent bulbs better than the combined MVB.

If you ever go large enough and can keep your fixture about 3 feet from the top of cage, mercury is the deal. It takes a lot of electricity, but has the best spectrum. The trick is to find the room. Gotta any deadbeat roomates? Chameleons make great roomies. They are awfully quiet.

I have a UVB meter and have measured the UVB output of a 100W PowerSun bulb. At least with the (new) bulb I have, it outputs less UVB than a CFL at the same distance, although I don't remember the exact numbers.

Although it does not get as hot as an incandescent bulb of the same wattage, it still gets very hot and your enclosure would have to be able to handle the heat at a distance that gets enough UVB. Much easier if you have a meter.

However, even if set up properly it forces the chameleon to get both UVB and heat at the same time. I have only used the MVB in my veiled's cage in combination with independent heat and CFL UVB, and he usually seemed to like the independent bulbs better than the combined MVB.

Really? I have found the exact opposite with my UVB meter. Fluorescents make reasonable UVB, but the Mercury Vapors pump it out.

If you ever go large enough and can keep your fixture about 3 feet from the top of cage, mercury is the deal. It takes a lot of electricity, but has the best spectrum. The trick is to find the room. Gotta any deadbeat roomates? Chameleons make great roomies. They are awfully quiet.

I agree with this, save the 3 foot suggestion. I find my 100 and 140 watt mercury vapors bulbs making insiginificant heat and UVB at that distance.

Back
Top Bottom