Meet Cera my new female Jackson!

Meet my new female Jackson Cera! She is about 3 months old and hopefully a pair for my male in the future.

Question How long should I wait before introducing her to the male? I was thinking about 6 months old. (3 or 4 from now)

She's a little skinny but eating a lot right now. A varied diet of roaches crickets and isopods.

I also attached a photo of Yoshi, my male ;-)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160817-172708.png
    Screenshot_20160817-172708.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 141
  • FB_IMG_1471500250153.jpg
    FB_IMG_1471500250153.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 87
She is cute! she is really skinny might want to feed her some bee moths "wax worms" temporarily see if you can get her fatted up. I would wait until she is about a year old before I would introduce her to a male for breeding. They reach sexual maturity at around 9 months unlike the veiled that reach it at 6. You will find they do everything slower than a veiled. I hope you know what you are getting into with breeding these guys. I don't want to discourage you in any way because the more captive bred the better, but I feel I must warn you they seem to do great for about 3-5 months then drop dead for seemingly no reason. That's one reason you don't want to introduce them too soon they already have enough issues with reproduction as it is. Let her grow older stronger and healthier before even considering breeding. Some have had success like @jpowell86, and others, so it is more than possible just something to look out for that's all. You probably already know this, but they don't lay eggs they give live birth, and can do this several times with only one breeding do to sperm retention. Good luck

Last edited:
Ahw, she looks skinny... Hope you can fatten her up!

Good luck on breeding later on!
I'll probably join you on breeding Jacksonii X. by that time.:D

She is cute! she is really skinny might want to feed her some bee moths "wax worms" temporarily see if you can get her fatted up. I would wait until she is about a year old before I would introduce her to a male for breeding. They reach sexual maturity at around 9 months unlike the veiled that reach it at 6. You will find they do everything slower than a veiled. I hope you know what you are getting into with breeding these guys. I don't want to discourage you in any way because the more captive bred the better, but I feel I must warn you they seem to do great for about 3-5 months then drop dead for seemingly no reason. That's one reason you don't want to introduce them too soon they already have enough issues with reproduction as it is. Let her grow older stronger and healthier before even considering breeding. Some have had success like @jpowell86, and others, so it is more than possible just something to look out for that's all. You probably already know this, but they don't lay eggs they give live birth, and can do this several times with only one breeding do to sperm retention. Good luck
I agree...don't rush her. A year at least, to make sure she has good bone density and body reserves.

I too agree with @brownie64 .

You will want to ensure that she is at her healthiest and most optimum level of health before breeding her. This species is a baby maker. Unfortunately, they don't always make it. One way to improve success is by simply having the female be as healthy as possible before breeding and while she is gravid. Of course, that is not the end of your battle...but it is the only way to start!

Thanks for the tips! I won't be rushing the breeding process. I'll make sure she is full grown and healthy before attempting on introducing them together. Right now she is eating lots , even more then my full grown male . she is eating crickets, roaches , isopods and occasional wild bugs I get from my collecting areas. All gut loaded with quality items and all dusted properly .

Back
Top Bottom