MBD Chameleon, First-Time Owner

You're a good person for taking that animal in. She is probably just getting adjusted to her new situation. You might try some of the higher fat worms. She could probably use the calories and fat and they can help with hydration.

Here are some pictures and a video of her from today. I would really like her to eat a little bit today, but I think the moving has stressed her out a bit. In the video she is a bit wiggly, and I was trying to show you all her weird swallowing, but she did it right after I cut off. Figures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70TGpGK2jQE&feature=channel_video_title

I am giving her a warm bath in the pic, and the one where she has her mouth open is the yawn thing I was talking about. I had three more to upload, but it won't let me :C

She is currently staring at me right now and she is also moving around a bit. I guess she is starting to feel better.

Attachments

• jojo1.jpg
    jojo1.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 136
just watching and looking at the video and pictures breaks my heart. not every person can do what you have done for this little girl without you she wouldnt have a chance i just want to say thank you for doing all of this. Keep your head high and keep doing what you have done at the store she is just getting used to her new home it just takes some adjustment. keep us updated and any questions we will try and help you.

Wow!! This is just nutz!! And they got another one?? I hope you can tell them that they need to provide for their "new victim" better than they did for the one you rescued!! You are a saint!! Good Job!!

Im pretty sure you will become fulltime Chameleon owner after this is all said n done!

I went through a similar situation with a veiled that I rescued a little over 11 years ago, and he recovered nicely although his limbs were never straight again, so there is hope! Just keep up the good work and eventually she should start to perk up, sounds like she has the will to live, so good luck!

Bless you for what you are doing to help this lil one. It just breaks my heart to know that people can be so irresponsible with a living creature. Thank you so much for giving her the love and care that she deserves.

I have a few questions after the first night:

- I think that she is too hot. I read several websites that say if a chameleon is keeping their mouth open, they could be too hot. Obviously mine is unable to shut her mouth at all, but I think that's why she is doing that yawn/sigh thing every once in a while. Other than that, I have no idea what is happening, but if there is a problem with her breathing I really want to catch it early.

- She seems to be having a hard time swallowing the waxworms. They keep getting stuck to the roof of her mouth, and she can't get them off. She doesn't have this problem with crickets though, and swallows them with ease. This makes me worried since her butterworms should be in today, because I would like her to eat a few of them, but not if it is going to give her problems.

- How long should she sleep. I'm up pretty late at night doing homework and stuff, so I got to check on her pretty often last night. She didn't seem to shut her eyes until around 2am last night, and not it is almost 9am, and I need to leave soon for class, but I'm not sure if I should turn her UVB light on or not. Right now her eyes are closed, but when I walk over to the cage they open up and look at me.

- I read in another thread that I can use a 40W house light for a heat source for her. Can I do that, or should I stick with the reptile lights since she is sick? (along with the UVB of course)

-This doesn't really concern her health, but I also read that they can recognize people. Is this true?

I think that is it for now. I also decided that I was going to keep a video diary of her progress everyday so that I can see how she progresses from week to week. .

The waxworms and butter worms are different texture you will just have to see what happens- the good thing is the butter worms will last weeks in the fridge so maybe later when she feels better.

Yes you can use the household bulb. Just check the heat. What are you using to check it with? It should be 80-82

They need darkness to sleep so cover her cage to block the light if you are going to be up- I bought black felt. I put velcro on the cage the hook side- the felt sticks to it:)

Back
Top Bottom