Looking for new supplements!

hiddenflaws

Avid Member
Hi, so I am interested in changing Basil's supplements. There's nothing wrong with it from what I've been seeing, but I am just interested in reaching out and changing over. I understand that many of you could use different supplements. I am buying new supplements from Josh's Frogs and need some ideas. Especially since I am honestly bad at supplements, sadly. I am interested in Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, but if I get that, do I need anything else with it? How often would I dust the feeders with this?

Here's some more to know about my cham, Basil. <3

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Basil; Veiled Chameleon; Male; 6-7 Months (?), Has been in my care since February 18th, 2020.
  • Handling - Usually 2 times a week.
  • Feeding - Currently feeding him some crickets and hornworms (every now and then), but just ordered some dubia roaches for him to see what he thinks about them. I gutload my feeders with veggies and fruit such as sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, cucumbers, apples, oranges. I feed him every morning at 10 AM with 10 medium sized crickets.
  • Supplements - I dust all my feeders with Repashy Calcium Plus: Vitamin and Calcium supplement.
  • Watering - I use a mistking misting system with a timer. The timer is set for: 9 AM; 2 minutes, 2:15 PM; 1 min/15 sec, and 5 PM; 2 minutes. I've actually seen him drink several times.
  • Fecal Description - Fecal is brown and solid with creamy/white urate; has been tested for parasites and was negative.
  • History - Not that I am aware of!

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have the Exo Terra 36"x18"x36 Glass Terrarium
  • Lighting - Lights are on from 9 AM to 9 PM. I use a Exo Terra daytime heat lamp (60 watt) for his basking light and a Zoo Med Reptisun T5-HO Hood (36") with the bulb that originally came with this. I am switching to Arcadia bulbs when this one's 6 months is up. ((( :
  • Temperature - Temps usually stay in the 77-83(F) during the day. At night this usually drops as low at 62(F).
  • Humidity - I'm actually having a hard time keeping my humidity levels low during the day so they usually stay around 70%. At night, it is in the 90s. I use a digital thermo/hygrometer combo and check on this several times a day. During the night, I keep a fogger running when the lights are off to keep the humidity levels high.
  • Plants - Live plants! I currently have a parlor palm (which I am *possible* removing), a Schefflera arborticola (umbrella tree), corn plant (removing soon), golden pothos, and a Dracaena Compacta (Janet Craig). I have a ephrolepis exaltata (true boston fern) coming in and it will be added in the future. I will be adding more plants in the future as well.
  • Placement - The terrarium sits on top of a horizontal dresser away from air vents.
  • Location - Mississippi ((( :

Current Problem - Looking for new supplements ((( :

Hi, so I am interested in changing Basil's supplements. There's nothing wrong with it from what I've been seeing, but I am just interested in reaching out and changing over. I understand that many of you could use different supplements. I am buying new supplements from Josh's Frogs and need some ideas. Especially since I am honestly bad at supplements, sadly. I am interested in Repashy Calcium Plus LoD, but if I get that, do I need anything else with it? How often would I dust the feeders with this?

Here's some more to know about my cham, Basil. <3

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Basil; Veiled Chameleon; Male; 6-7 Months (?), Has been in my care since February 18th, 2020.
  • Handling - Usually 2 times a week.
  • Feeding - Currently feeding him some crickets and hornworms (every now and then), but just ordered some dubia roaches for him to see what he thinks about them. I gutload my feeders with veggies and fruit such as sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, cucumbers, apples, oranges. I feed him every morning at 10 AM with 10 medium sized crickets.
  • Supplements - I dust all my feeders with Repashy Calcium Plus: Vitamin and Calcium supplement.
  • Watering - I use a mistking misting system with a timer. The timer is set for: 9 AM; 2 minutes, 2:15 PM; 1 min/15 sec, and 5 PM; 2 minutes. I've actually seen him drink several times.
  • Fecal Description - Fecal is brown and solid with creamy/white urate; has been tested for parasites and was negative.
  • History - Not that I am aware of!

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have the Exo Terra 36"x18"x36 Glass Terrarium
  • Lighting - Lights are on from 9 AM to 9 PM. I use a Exo Terra daytime heat lamp (60 watt) for his basking light and a Zoo Med Reptisun T5-HO Hood (36") with the bulb that originally came with this. I am switching to Arcadia bulbs when this one's 6 months is up. ((( :
  • Temperature - Temps usually stay in the 77-83(F) during the day. At night this usually drops as low at 62(F).
  • Humidity - I'm actually having a hard time keeping my humidity levels low during the day so they usually stay around 70%. At night, it is in the 90s. I use a digital thermo/hygrometer combo and check on this several times a day. During the night, I keep a fogger running when the lights are off to keep the humidity levels high.
  • Plants - Live plants! I currently have a parlor palm (which I am *possible* removing), a Schefflera arborticola (umbrella tree), corn plant (removing soon), golden pothos, and a Dracaena Compacta (Janet Craig). I have a ephrolepis exaltata (true boston fern) coming in and it will be added in the future. I will be adding more plants in the future as well.
  • Placement - The terrarium sits on top of a horizontal dresser away from air vents.
  • Location - Mississippi ((( :

Current Problem - Looking for new supplements ((( :
I believe @Beman had been doing something completely different. Becca did you do Arcadia schedule ?? I remember chatting with you on it but can’t remember what it had been .

Then there’s old school all separate .

I have a small issue with Repashy Calcium Plus LoD. It kinda breaks the supplement sched. Now you can no longer have "no vitamin days" and "no d3 days". The supplement looks great on paper for people who have low quality lighting and feed crickets directly out of the bag(or only use fluker water jello).

Ill stick to vitamins( HERPTIVITE) once every 2 weeks, since its just "insurance" incase your gut load isnt enough. I also run sticky tongue farms indoor every dusting, since its ultra low dose D3 and can be used regardless of lighting conditions.

Also you dont have to replace T5HO's every 6-9 months. I can easily get 24 months out of either brand, but i have a meter. A meter can pay for itself in just a few years if you have 3-4 reptiles :)

I like the idea of an all-in-one supplement and tried the Repashy LoD. I noticed my veiled got some eye and gular edema after I started it though, which went away once I put her back on the traditional 3 supplement regimen. I believe some others have reported the same, but it’s all just anecdotal...no hard evidence.

RepCal D3+ 400,000 IU/kg
Flukers Reptacalcium 100,000 IU/lb
Exoterra 14,740 IU/lb
ZooMed ReptiCalcium 22,907 IU/kg
Mineral -indoor 2000ui per kg
Repashy calcium plus LoD 20,000 ui/kg or 8,000 IU/lb

As you can see, there is a huge range for D3 per dose.

I like the idea of an all-in-one supplement and tried the Repashy LoD. I noticed my veiled got some eye and gular edema after I started it though, which went away once I put her back on the traditional 3 supplement regimen. I believe some others have reported the same, but it’s all just anecdotal...no hard evidence.
Yes Basil is having an eye issue @hiddenflaws can explain ( Ashley) . I have expressed the possible need to change supplements . I’ve seen other keepers have issues with repashy . We use with no issues however I have seen issues with in the Community .

Yes Basil is having an eye issue @hiddenflaws can explain ( Ashley) . I have expressed the possible need to change supplements . I’ve seen other keepers have issues with repashy . We use with no issues however I have seen issues with in the Community .

Me and Kristen have both been trying to figure out the cause of his eye problem over text messages and we have look to see if it was dehydration, plants, and even checked for parasites. All three of these seem to not be the cause of the redness around his eyes. Right now me and her are looking more into the supplements. The redness didn't start until after he was moved into his new enclosure as far as I know. I never noticed it till after this so there could have been a chance that it was going on before and it wasn't bad enough for me to see. I can tell it's irritating him and itching because he rubs his eye on the bark and his vines which I believe is causing it to become worse as he does this. I will add a picture below of the last one I got of his eye. Also attached picture of the supplement I use.

Attachments

• C1D697B4-2002-4959-BEDB-D5D32CFF80AF.jpeg
    C1D697B4-2002-4959-BEDB-D5D32CFF80AF.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 93
  • C5F075A9-D94F-46F0-8B8E-92D07A1DB2FA.jpeg
    C5F075A9-D94F-46F0-8B8E-92D07A1DB2FA.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 86
I believe @Beman had been doing something completely different. Becca did you do Arcadia schedule ?? I remember chatting with you on it but can’t remember what it had been .

Then there’s old school all separate .
Mine is a really crazy schedule with arcadia products and reptivite. you have to literally track it on a calendar.

The OP could simply do a calcium without D3 and then on the 1st and the 15th of the month do Reptivite with D3. The reptivite would be the multivitamin and D3 so only 2 times with that one.

I was not pleased with the repashy calcium plus LoD when I tried it. He was not shedding all that well on it. And I prefered my Arcadia products that I raised him on. But I was being lazy and not wanting to track it on a calendar. lol Sometimes easy does not been most beneficial. Also we were seeing a lot of chams popping up with issues from the repashy calcium plus and the LoD version. From gout to symptoms of over supplementation.

Mine is a really crazy schedule with arcadia products and reptivite. you have to literally track it on a calendar.

The OP could simply do a calcium without D3 and then on the 1st and the 15th of the month do Reptivite with D3. The reptivite would be the multivitamin and D3 so only 2 times with that one.

I was not pleased with the repashy calcium plus LoD when I tried it. He was not shedding all that well on it. And I prefered my Arcadia products that I raised him on. But I was being lazy and not wanting to track it on a calendar. lol Sometimes easy does not been most beneficial. Also we were seeing a lot of chams popping up with issues from the repashy calcium plus and the LoD version. From gout to symptoms of over supplementation.

I'm really trying to figure out what is going on with his eyes. I'm so happy that we ruled out parasites, but it just stresses me out more because I still don't know what it could be. If it is the supplements, this just started happening because he's been on the same supplements since the day I got him in February and he has not shown any bad signs EXCEPT the eye thing if the repashy is the thing that is causing it. What supplements/vitamins do you recommend me getting and what schedule should I stick with for them? I am stopping by petsmart and petco tomorrow because I forgot to order something for my crested gecko and have to have it by saturday so that is why I am looking for ideas and schedules.

Thank you love for the reply !.

I'm really trying to figure out what is going on with his eyes. I'm so happy that we ruled out parasites, but it just stresses me out more because I still don't know what it could be. If it is the supplements, this just started happening because he's been on the same supplements since the day I got him in February and he has not shown any bad signs EXCEPT the eye thing if the repashy is the thing that is causing it. What supplements/vitamins do you recommend me getting and what schedule should I stick with for them? I am stopping by petsmart and petco tomorrow because I forgot to order something for my crested gecko and have to have it by saturday so that is why I am looking for ideas and schedules.
The other thing maybe is the foam , See what other think if that could be an irritant . It’s only been since the big boy condo . I’m really leaning towards the supplements . I would like to see if there’s a change with a different supplement .

Old school !!. I think I sent pics reptical nod3 Daily feeders , one with d3 and a Multi . The d3 and Multi would be used 2 times a month unless Basil is out side daily . If he’s out side daily for more than an hour no D3 .

The other thing maybe is the foam , See what other think if that could be an irritant . It’s only been since the big boy condo . I’m really leaning towards the supplements . I would like to see if there’s a change with a different supplement .

Crossing my fingers that it isn't the foam. The supplements will be easy to replace but the foam will not be that easy and I will have to remove the walls and redo them which will be a pain and I currently have no where to keep Basil during the process. I will probably have to remove them if this is a problem and redo them in a year after I move so he'll just go without the walls.

I've seen this at petco or petsmart several times! Will more than likely be texting you while I'm there tomorrow. :LOL:
With w/o D3 you will need to order they do not sell it . Only with D3 absolutely no prob . When Becca gets back from her project maybe she can discuss her schedule it’s a bit of a pain but successful .

Back
Top Bottom