Kinyongia xenorhina

For people in the US,this will be a great chance to build up a breedingroup of this great species.
Animals will be expected end mach,beginning April.
They first go in Quarantine in Germany and will have a cure for parasites.
That time of the year several females will be gravid so your chance to have f1 xenorhina's will be there;)

For people in the US,this will be a great chance to build up a breedingroup of this great species.
Animals will be expected end mach,beginning April.
They first go in Quarantine in Germany and will have a cure for parasites.
That time of the year several females will be gravid so your chance to have f1 xenorhina's will be there;)

This certainly will be an awesome opportunity for us over here! The last shipment of this species that came in a few years back came with all males and promises of females to be coming in shortly after but that wasnt the case. As for that I havent seen any come in since I have been keeping chams. We have 10 pairs to come in along with gravid females and other opportunities to import new blood in the future. You cant ask for much more than that;)

X2! Tough species though. It would be great to watch someone produce some babies.

I have really high hopes for the shipment. As was said we have females and hopefully gravid females coming in so that is a great start alone. Not long after they arrive most of us will be able to house them outside also which is really helpful.

The male I had was rather easy. He stayed happily in a 30x16x16 cage, ate all the feeders I offered (I dont feed worm species just fast moving insects) and drank well. Unfortunately no females ever came in. I forget how long I had him but it was one of those "fine the one day dead the next" type deals.

With animals in good condition and females I have no doubt I can reproduce them along with anyone else. Not as easy as veileds and panthers but not as hard as parsonii. I would think more along the lines as multituberculata and tavetana. Not super easy but not super hard;)

I agree with you Cain,i think the reason of poor results with xeno's until now are that the quality of the imports were many times very bad mostly very dehydrated and heavy parasites loadet.
So you got to start with very good quality of wc animals.
We are very lucky to work with a very good exporter in Uganda(hes from the netherlands his wife is African)we work now for more than 5 years with him and he realy takes a good care for his animals in the facility.
The chameleons are 5 times a day sprayed with water and they raise there own insekts.
Another problem is still that they send more males(mostly 75 procent in a shipment)
Reason is that males are not so shy in nature and they are easy to catch females are way harder to find.
Last shipments the male/female balance whas way better:)
And yes gravid females are the easiest way to get babys but be carefull with these they are very stressy when shipped,best thing to to is keep them separated in a very dense planted terrarium and give them as much privacy as you can.
I think its better that the gravid females go to the more experienced keepers,they not allways dig a tunnel but sometimes just lay eggs on the floor so control the cages dayly.
Also check the females after laying sometimes they need a shot of oxytocine if not all the eggs are laid.
A few years ago i had a gravid female wo laid 6 eggs ,the incubation took allmost 11 monts and 4 babys hatched(see the picture i posted in the beginnig of the thread.)
I incubated the eggs on roomtemperature(18 to 21c a day,16 to 18c at night)
in moist vermiculite(relative wet)
The baby were doing very well but after some months i lost them,i think its better to raise them seperatly so they dont stress to much.
Like you said after worming and acclimatisation(you can count a month after arrival)they are relaive hard(like fishers)
They will lose their stress colors and if you put them in the sun the males can have the most spectacular collors i ever have seen in a cham:eek:i never had the time to take a picture of that:(when i went to get the camera and they saw me they change collor in a second...
I even kept 6 males together for a while and never noticed any agression or stress(they slept next to eachother)
You see with a good care ,good set up and starting with good healty animals you have a good chance of breeding them in my opinion.
If you got more questions just ask;)

I have really high hopes for the shipment. As was said we have females and hopefully gravid females coming in so that is a great start alone. Not long after they arrive most of us will be able to house them outside also which is really helpful.

The male I had was rather easy. He stayed happily in a 30x16x16 cage, ate all the feeders I offered (I dont feed worm species just fast moving insects) and drank well. Unfortunately no females ever came in. I forget how long I had him but it was one of those "fine the one day dead the next" type deals.

With animals in good condition and females I have no doubt I can reproduce them along with anyone else. Not as easy as veileds and panthers but not as hard as parsonii. I would think more along the lines as multituberculata and tavetana. Not super easy but not super hard;)

I agree with you Cain,i think the reason of poor results with xeno's until now are that the quality of the imports were many times very bad mostly very dehydrated and heavy parasites loadet.
So you got to start with very good quality of wc animals.
We are very lucky to work with a very good exporter in Uganda(hes from the netherlands his wife is African)we work now for more than 5 years with him and he realy takes a good care for his animals in the facility.
The chameleons are 5 times a day sprayed with water and they raise there own insekts.
Another problem is still that they send more males(mostly 75 procent in a shipment)
Reason is that males are not so shy in nature and they are easy to catch females are way harder to find.
Last shipments the male/female balance whas way better:)
And yes gravid females are the easiest way to get babys but be carefull with these they are very stressy when shipped,best thing to to is keep them separated in a very dense planted terrarium and give them as much privacy as you can.
I think its better that the gravid females go to the more experienced keepers,they not allways dig a tunnel but sometimes just lay eggs on the floor so control the cages dayly.
Also check the females after laying sometimes they need a shot of oxytocine if not all the eggs are laid.
A few years ago i had a gravid female wo laid 6 eggs ,the incubation took allmost 11 monts and 4 babys hatched(see the picture i posted in the beginnig of the thread.)
I incubated the eggs on roomtemperature(18 to 21c a day,16 to 18c at night)
in moist vermiculite(relative wet)
The baby were doing very well but after some months i lost them,i think its better to raise them seperatly so they dont stress to much.
Like you said after worming and acclimatisation(you can count a month after arrival)they are relaive hard(like fishers)
They will lose their stress colors and if you put them in the sun the males can have the most spectacular collors i ever have seen in a cham:eek:i never had the time to take a picture of that:(when i went to get the camera and they saw me they change collor in a second...
I even kept 6 males together for a while and never noticed any agression or stress(they slept next to eachother)
You see with a good care ,good set up and starting with good healty animals you have a good chance of breeding them in my opinion.
If you got more questions just ask;)

Thanks for the information!! I was going to say 18.3 celsius seems like a good incubation.

About the babies dying after a few months and housing them together. A similar situation happened to me a few years back when I had 3 clutches of tavetana hatch around the same time. I housed them all together for a few months. After a few months I was having problems with males dying but only males not females. After I separated the males they all did fine and none of the females had any problems up until I sold them. Im not sure why being housed together only affected the males but that seemed to be the problem. The first clutch I raised of them was small, only 5, and were raised with no problems. These were raised separate from the start.

Okay,i just got news that we received the Uganda quotas for 2013!
That means that i can send 10.10(ten pairs) of johnstonii,10.10(ten pairs) of kinyongia xenorhina and 10.10 (ten pairs) of hoehnelli altaeelgonis to the US
Please contact Paul Fowler for all the details.

For people who like to work with xenorhina,this shipment will be the last after this its not longer possible to work with these fantastic species!

They did not end up coming in on the last shipment with the johnstonii is my understanding.

I believe that is correct since I did not get the ones I had requested......:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom