Kinyongia xenorhina

Uganda has not given exportquota's jet for carpenteri.
Experiances with a few pairs that made it to the farm in Entebbe where very poor.
The live in the higest regions of the Rwenzori Mts(up to 2300m) and they have a very sharp drop of temperatures at night(allmost freezing)
When they dont have that for a longer period of time(few weeks)they go in stress and die.
I dont think its a good species for captivity...

Thats too bad, they are one of my favorite species. Have you ever kept any? I have also read that they live at the tops of the highest trees and that is why they arent collected or seen very often.

Ah, sorry I'm late to the party. Kinyongia xenorhina has been one of my favorite species for a long time. Many years ago I was lucky enough to see some freshly imported specimens in person and got a healthy pair. I kept them outside here and they did quite well long-term. Unfortunately the female dropped her only clutch on the cage floor and only one egg survived....only to die after completing most/all(?) the development. I think it went 7 or 8 months and during the summer I couldn't control high temps very well.

I would so LOVE to find healthy imports again. I, too, found them relatively hardy once established. Very shy too but if cornered, MEAN! The little male would viciously attack, doing the bite and shake thing. Adorable! Really a cool species but it's so rare that anything from Uganda comes in here, much less the xenos.

Great work, Jurgen. The adults look fantastic and I truly hope you have great success with those incubating clutches!

Thank you all for the nice coments,i hope to have new baby's in a few months;)
@Motherlode chameleon:dont believe story's of animals outside Uganda.
Their whas never given export permit for carpenteri,many companies from Russia,chzeg or Hungaria promis you the most fantastic species(mostly they ask to pay in advance)but you never see one animal.
The only realistic scenario i can think of is if their come permits and you can have animals within lets say 10 days after traping and you live in a country with mountan climat(switserland,canada) you have a small chans to keep them alive...
@Kent67:My friend got like 10 pairs availlable for the moment together with johnstoni(Rwenzori an Bwindi form)i can send them to the US but offcourse you have the shiping costs to keep in mind.
Jurgen

If I had the cash I would have you send me over some xenorhina, tenuis, oxyrhina and any other rarer Kinyongia species you can get:D Unfortunately, in the US, this stuff comes in once in a while but its only a few animals and most of the time they are all one sex. Never really enough to start a good population.

Do you have any more pictures of the female/females? Id love to see more of those.

Thank you all for the nice coments,i hope to have new baby's in a few months;)
@Motherlode chameleon:dont believe story's of animals outside Uganda.
Their whas never given export permit for carpenteri,many companies from Russia,chzeg or Hungaria promis you the most fantastic species(mostly they ask to pay in advance)but you never see one animal.
The only realistic scenario i can think of is if their come permits and you can have animals within lets say 10 days after traping and you live in a country with mountan climat(switserland,canada) you have a small chans to keep them alive...
@Kent67:My friend got like 10 pairs availlable for the moment together with johnstoni(Rwenzori an Bwindi form)i can send them to the US but offcourse you have the shiping costs to keep in mind.
Jurgen

Yeah I'm assuming it is mostly window dressing to make their company look good. However I still keep an eye on companies that offer Candy Land list of chameleon species they have access too. There is an outside chance something could happen. As I had one company with a similar list in the past actually produce some shipments of extremely rare chameleons. More precisely Calumma parsonii cristifer, Calumma cucullatum and Jascksonii willegensis and that was 1994.

Good luck with your Kinyongia xenorhina.

Last edited:
Kent and Jurgen, let me know if you work out an import for xenos or johns. I would love to keep those.

Great job Jurgen, keep up the good work. It seems like you and I like the same species!;)

I would love to keep T. johnstoni again too. One of my favorites! In the mid 80s to early 90s, I had multiple clutches hatch but was not successful raising the neonates. I'm convinced I damaged them with too much D3. If I ever get to keep them again, I'll supplement them in a similar manner to the 14 week old baby quads I'm currently raising. Personally, I think many failures that people had during that time (even now but less so) were due to a collective lack of knowledge concerning supplements. Too bad that many species are not readily available as they once were. In general, I think we'd all have better success due to what we've learned over the years.

Perry

Okay guys,i got 2.2 xenorhina ready to ship these are in a perfect condition(see my pictures in the thread)they are wc but for 4 months in EU.
Quarantine was perfect and they are stable for more info ask Paul he will receive them.
Thanks

Jurgen has offered to send me some of these nice animals on the same conditions. If anyone is interested please let me know and Ill give you more details. There are a limited amount able to come in and I will be keeping a pair or two, maybe three so there will only be around 7 or 8 pairs available. Prices will be very reasonable so act now!

Back
Top Bottom