Jimbo'z Diary - Ambanja Panther Cham

I am a new comer but i feel that we seem to keep beating a dead horse here with the compacts, this incident happened with a batch of compacts in 2005 guys!!! its 2011 surely they fixed it ;) and besides i see nothing wrong with my veiled chameleon and had him on the compacts for a few months now to realize that its safe.

I agree with you!

Some people make it seem impossible to raise juvenile panthers.

In South Africa the climate is so good we can throw all our chams outside and they thrive!

I am a new comer but i feel that we seem to keep beating a dead horse here with the compacts, this incident happened with a batch of compacts in 2005 guys!!! its 2011 surely they fixed it ;) and besides i see nothing wrong with my veiled chameleon and had him on the compacts for a few months now to realize that its safe.

why do you think your chameleon is sleeping during the DAY then? sorry but that is not normal, healthy behavior. Did you ever think that some chameleons are more sensitive to light than another, just like humans. I mean who knows? If it continues i would change out the light to a tube, but that is just me. It would be nice for you to keep us updated and to figure out why he is closing his eyes. Thanks!!!

Sage he is looking good:) you doing a good job with him!

How those pin heads? must be done already!

See your veiled is nice too hey, big straight casque:)

No dude you gave me like 400 pin heads he he :p i think he is taking in around -+ 30 a day and drinking i let him eat i cant stop him.

I might buy a few more of them on Saturday if that is ok, what type of crickets are they again? :)

Not to beat that dead horse again, but some of the old batch CFL's are still out there. I was given one a few months back that was purchased in February 2010.

I am not saying that UVB is the problem. I use compacts on occasion myself. You asked for a "scientific article or research paper" so I provided a link. Unless one sets up the cage with a UVB meter, one never really knows for sure how much UVB exposure an animal could be receiving.

why do you think your chameleon is sleeping during the DAY then? sorry but that is not normal, healthy behavior. Did you ever think that some chameleons are more sensitive to light than another, just like humans. I mean who knows? If it continues i would change out the light to a tube, but that is just me. It would be nice for you to keep us updated and to figure out why he is closing his eyes. Thanks!!!

Hi

I have had him on a 14w repti glo 5 for the last 5 days. No real improvement that i have noticed. He still has been closing his eyes even when he is outside. (I am just glad he is eating and drinking as well as he is)

Have a look at the pic attached gives you an idea of the current lighting. this pic did flare up a little. And a nice current pic of him, what do you think guys he looks healthy to me :) ? just got to keep it that way :)

Attachments

• Photo-0158.jpg
    Photo-0158.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 182
Not to beat that dead horse again, but some of the old batch CFL's are still out there. I was given one a few months back that was purchased in February 2010.

I am not saying that UVB is the problem. I use compacts on occasion myself. You asked for a "scientific article or research paper" so I provided a link. Unless one sets up the cage with a UVB meter, one never really knows for sure how much UVB exposure an animal could be receiving.

I agree with you and hopefully no one gets those dud bulbs. Also i read through all of that material and note once did i see anything related to the EXO Terra Repti Glo 5.0 compact lamp

You make it seem as though its impossible to raise chameleons in captivity! Its eating, its drinking so its living!

I suppose you have no experience in breeding or growing up tons of juveniles!

He looks happy here :-D So I am happy

Oh and the pin heads he eats at the moment are Saharan dessert crickets (Gorillas) He loves em. They are uber gut loaded when they are served you can see the carrot inside them lol.

jimbo.jpg

You make it seem as though its impossible to raise chameleons in captivity! Its eating, its drinking so its living!

I suppose you have no experience in breeding or growing up tons of juveniles!

not at all, and you are right, I have no experience in breeding, nor do I care to. I was trying to help out here and figure out why a chameleon would sleep during the day which I am sure you know is not normal and is often times casued by incorrect lighting. And of course, I know it is not impossible, there are thousands of members on here who do it everyday. :rolleyes:

So from all the pics iv posted do you guys also think Jimbo is a male juv???? :D

I also found out that he is a Red Bared Ambanja Panther :)

Attached is a pic of the father.

Hi

I have had him on a 14w repti glo 5 for the last 5 days. No real improvement that i have noticed. He still has been closing his eyes even when he is outside. (I am just glad he is eating and drinking as well as he is)

Have a look at the pic attached gives you an idea of the current lighting. this pic did flare up a little. And a nice current pic of him, what do you think guys he looks healthy to me :) ? just got to keep it that way :)

Your cham looks great in the pic! If I could make one suggestion to you, and its not about the lighting. Elevate your cage up off the floor! Panther Chameleons live in the rain forest up in the trees. They love to be up HIGH and they feel much more safe and secure that way. Get a table or something to raise it up. Ideally, they should have some area where they can be higher than your eye level.

Your cham looks great in the pic! If I could make one suggestion to you, and its not about the lighting. Elevate your cage up off the floor! Panther Chameleons live in the rain forest up in the trees. They love to be up HIGH and they feel much more safe and secure that way. Get a table or something to raise it up. Ideally, they should have some area where they can be higher than your eye level.

Hi Have a look at the pic attached, Rocco's Cage is the green DIY cage on the left, and Jimbo is in the container on top of the wooden tv unit, not a lot of traffic passes. Both of thier housing is raised i also have drainage on both atm. I will be getting an additional clamp lamp and give rocco his compact back as i feel the tube is not enough to share if he has stay in days when its cold.

Note that Rocco get at least 4 hours of unfiltered sunlight a day even more on weekends.

If you noticed i have also made sure that his bamboo is raised so that the crickets do not nip on him at night.

@Paul Please advise on how many weeks he is you mentioned he was born the end of October. So i figure he is in his 7th week.

Guys I noticed something after Jimbo has been misted and goes all dark, if you look at the pic, it is a white patch on the arm pit, but goes away when he goes lighter. The Pic isnt that great sorry

Looks like he is getting ready to shed. My vote would be a male if its still in question. One suggestion I would make since I have raised quite a few baby pathers, you might want to add some more foliage in his bin to give him someplace to hide. This is for security and to give him some shade to get out of the UVB light. Whether you have the correct light or not, they should not have to be exposed to constant UVB. Is he still closing one eye?

Looks like a male in that pic though in the second last pic looks more like a female.

Wouldnt you say its blue/turquoise bars and not red bars.
I would say its red body blue bar. You'l find that he wont look anything like the dad when hes older. R100 bet on that one!

Yes he is in his 7th week now.

That light spot can be where his arm covered his body, ill explain when i see you again, or could be ready for his first shed!

Zup guys!

a Green/blue, White and Black with a lil red under the chin inside the frill, that is the only colors i have seen on him :) To me this lil guy is still a baby. I hope he sheds soon. He has been eating a lot and to me he has grown.

He loves the sun and really eats like a beast when he is out side.

@Reptoman I will spice up the foliage a lil today. :-D Nope he doesn't have any power naps anymore.

Cool Paul check you on Tuesday :D

Attachments

• Photo-0145.jpg
    Photo-0145.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 133
Hey Sage

Thanks for coming today! Panther looks great and doubled in size!:D

Keep his posted on this forum.

Cool

Jimbo is getting huge. and OMG i have never ever seen something with so much detail and character. He is just beautiful

Cage build start the end of the month for both him and Rocco.

Paul should i start dusting jimbos insects, seems we cannot get t-rex cal in SA anymore i heard the company closed down.?

He looks so cute!

I didn't realize how many members are in South Africa! The internet is awesome, hooray for common-interest-congregation!

Back
Top Bottom